Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might go a long way if Elon sent a Tweet out clarifying how this will benefit TSLA shareholders. We know Tesla will profit from this deal, sure. But if Tesla is aiming to just make a little bit of a profit, the loss of the Supercharger moat could hurt more than help overall. Especially since TSLA shareholders have been rubbed in the dirt the last 1.5 years, it would be nice to get a little bump.
I think the reasoning is quite simple. Tesla will not not be the largest carmaker one day, but also the largest charging network operator.

With technologies and products like solar panels, battery storage and autobidder, the opportunity for revenues from charging stations would be huge (Cue trump voice) one day.

It might go a long way if Elon sent a Tweet out clarifying how this will benefit TSLA shareholders--without spilling what are obviously private details. We know Tesla will profit from this deal, sure. But if Tesla is aiming to just make a little bit of a profit, the loss of the Supercharger moat could hurt more than help overall. Especially since TSLA shareholders have been rubbed in the dirt the last 1.5 years, it would be nice to get a little bump.

He just increased the TAM for supercharging, over 10 years likely many fold. To me, it's pretty obvious how this is a benefit for Tesla owners.

Those not seeing it I bet were the same complaining about Model 3's clogging up superchargers before the Model 3 was released.

Ok humblebrag here but for those making fun of my general optimistic view of Fords EV strategy……😂. Clearly. EM does indeed think Ford has a smart EV strategy. As he has said before.

humblebrag over. I think this is great for Ford and Tesla. Tesla is basically deciding future winners. Adds scale to a future profit center. Don’t rally thinks trucks compete until 2027

Ok humblebrag here but for those making fun of my general optimistic view of Fords EV strategy……😂. Clearly. EM does indeed think Ford has a smart EV strategy. As he has said before.

humblebrag over. I think this is great for Ford and Tesla. Tesla is basically deciding future winners. Adds scale to a future profit center. Don’t rally thinks trucks compete until 2027
So where does this leave GM's lead in EV's? 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

It might go a long way if Elon sent a Tweet out clarifying how this will benefit TSLA shareholders--without spilling what are obviously private details. We know Tesla will profit from this deal, sure. But if Tesla is aiming to just make a little bit of a profit, the loss of the Supercharger moat could hurt more than help overall. Especially since TSLA shareholders have been rubbed in the dirt the last 1.5 years, it would be nice to get a little bump.
You and I both know we’re not going to get that clarification from Elon or Tesla. We’ll simply have to wait for Q1 2024 earnings to see the impact. Just by breaking down the numbers, we should be able to get an idea of how much income Tesla is bringing in from Ford and any other auto makers that have adopted the Supercharger network by then.

Many believe it will eventually hurt Tesla car sales. As the charging network is typically in the top 3 of reasons to buy a Tesla.
Those "many" need to think about how everyone's device connectivity solidifying around USB in the 90's helped Intel. A pretty nice place to hang your hat - if you control USB standards! Versus a landscape of competing small device connectivity standards, and there were a few (1394 etc.) - but everything died away and Intel was sitting pretty at the head of the table.

All eyes now turn to General Motors, who are still using what we can now call the "embattled" or "ailing" CCS network in the USA.

I'm trying to find an angle here ... I don't see how this is a positive for Tesla but I'm willing to listen to ideas.

Here was my first thought: Do you remember when Microsoft bailed out a little company called Apple, who was on it's deathbed? How'd that work out for Microsoft??

Tesla charging network should stay all Tesla ... it's one of the biggest competitive advantages Tesla has.

I'm going to do some homework and try to find out what Tesla's angle is ... I sure hope it isn't Elon putting "the mission" over competitive strategy ... you can damn well bet that Ford would be twisting the knife right now.
Microsoft is doing fine..

Rivian missed the boat on this. Hooking up with tesla/NACS would be a significant plus for them at this point.

Jmho.
They likely can’t afford the fee that Tesla is charging for access 😂.

But in all seriousness, I definitely think there’s a fee Tesla is probably charging for every “Ford Pass” that gets activated. Whether or not Ford chooses to eat that cost or pass it on to their customers is yet to be seen

For those worried about Tesla losing a moat, realize that it was losing it anyways. While WE know the CCS network sucked, the new EV buying public generally does not, meanwhile the CCS network was getting better everyday.

With this announcement, Tesla has immediately caused every CCS charger manufacturer and network operator to rethink whether they‘ll have any customers in five years.

So rather than face an inevitable competition against CCS, Elon has kneecapped the network before it grew out of it “sucks” stage and made it very likely it will never grow up to be a viable competitor at all.

Tesla has more than enough innovative moats to take the place of the Supercharger network going forward.

Musk has always been super supportive and cordial to competitors.

Tesla is not deciding future winners here. They will cooperate with anyone. Tesla would do the same for GM—yes, even GM.