Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First NACS . . . next Tesla is selling FSD to Ford customers.

You laugh now, but I'm not joking. Did anyone else pick up in the conversation they had how Tesla had been providing some assistance to Ford with "whole car software updates"? Farley admitted that was insanely hard to do, and that Tesla had been providing some know-how.

It might go a long way if Elon sent a Tweet out clarifying how this will benefit TSLA shareholders--without spilling what are obviously private details. We know Tesla will profit from this deal, sure. But if Tesla is aiming to just make a little bit of a profit, the loss of the Supercharger moat could hurt more than help overall. Especially since TSLA shareholders have been rubbed in the dirt the last 1.5 years, it would be nice to get a little bump.
I suspect Elon thinks the shareholders are smart enough to figure this out. Elon is an optimist after all.

After the announcement, I had to pull together a little sheet looking at Tesla compared to the more prominent O&G players.

Yes, they do more than sell gas to cars. Yes, EVs charge at home and will use less "fuel," but still a big market to open up by becoming the gold standard network. I feel like it's only a matter of time before Rivian, Polestar, GM, and others follow suit.

1685057692407.png

For those worried about Tesla losing a moat, realize that it was losing it anyways. While WE know the CCS network sucked, the new EV buying public generally does not, meanwhile the CCS network was getting better everyday.

With this announcement, Tesla has immediately caused every CCS charger manufacturer and network operator to rethink whether they‘ll have any customers in five years.

So rather than face an inevitable competition against CCS, Elon has kneecapped the network before it grew out of it “sucks” stage and made it very likely it will never grow up to be a viable competitor at all.

Tesla has more than enough innovative moats to take the place of the Supercharger network going forward.
Good point. I wouldn’t have thought of that angle.

It actually doesn’t matter to GM yet. They sell press releases and have not yet made the same bet the company stance. Press releases have very low power and yields are just 1-2 a month.

This is GM's first Gigafactory in Ohio. Already built, fitted and ramping. ~45 GWh per year.

1685057901916.png

This is a news report on GM's planned 4th US Gigafactory in Indiana winning tax abatements.

First NACS . . . next Tesla is selling FSD to Ford customers.

You laugh now, but I'm not joking. Did anyone else pick up in the conversation they had how Tesla had been providing some assistance to Ford with "whole car software updates"? Farley admitted that was insanely hard to do, and that Tesla had been providing some know-how.

This!

And Ford will be providing factories for that $25k Hatchback …..

Elon said it was “hard building cars”

This!

And Ford will be providing factories for that $25k Hatchback …..

Elon said it was “hard building cars”

Doubt Ford will be providing factories. Not unless they decide to build the $25k car in the "four points" style that Tesla has laid out. Ford hasn't adopted gigacasting yet, so they have a ways to go to be up to Tesla's manufacturing plans.

What does TAM stand for?

Total Addressable Market (i.e. the size of the market).

This move helps make NACS the "Standard Oil" of the 21st Century.

EDIT - and indirectly, this is a TAM increase for Tesla Energy. So many of the SuperCharging stations have Tesla Megapacks and Solar canopies. That's a demand lever right there for Tesla.

I would not be surprised to see 100,000 charging stations in North America run by Tesla by the end of the decade. Superbull comment, I know. Still would not surprise me.

Doubt Ford will be providing factories. Not unless they decide to build the $25k car in the "four points" style that Tesla has laid out. Ford hasn't adopted gigacasting yet, so they have a ways to go to be up to Tesla's manufacturing plans.
I think it more likely Ford dealers will service Tesla cars in the future. That’s where Tesla needs to scale up fast.

True. But, and I'm not joking on this, I just scheduled my HW 2.5 to HW 3.0 upgrade today . . . for tomorrow AM at the local service center. That's good service right there.
I’ve not followed what’s happening on service front … but that was a big pain point sometime back.

Ofcourse, the other thing is potentially Tesla can run around local franchise laws by selling Tesla through some ford dealers - though I doubt this would happen.