Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doubt Ford will be providing factories. Not unless they decide to build the $25k car in the "four points" style that Tesla has laid out. Ford hasn't adopted gigacasting yet, so they have a ways to go to be up to Tesla's manufacturing plans.
IDRA said they sold a Gigapress to a legacy American automaker.

Might happen before too long.

Elon did say he would try a little advertising…
Ah so...! Let Ford PAY for the advertising!!!

Elon, you're so smart.

1685067529110.jpeg

Probably not as much as MacDonald's paid for all those giant arches. But ya, subsidized by the owners all the way back. It's got to be a huge bill hence the huge value and negotiating leverage. It's private, global infrastructure in an increasingly higher demand e-world. I'm actually surprised others took this long to join when we all saw their charger problem since first launch. All of them. It was all over YouTube.

I've been thinking... this puts all other BEV OEMs on notice, especially imports. Who's in the club? Who's out?
I'm thinking that we have some very interesting times ahead. The plot thickens!

"Ford opens its EVs to competitor's charging network"

Headline suggestion for legacy media desperate not to mention anything good about Tesla. 😂
Well if they were trying to avoid saying Tesla they would just say “Ford adds 12,000 fast chargers to their network”.

But “Ford” doesn’t drive clicks. “Tesla“ drives clicks. So the headline will probably be: “Tesla loses massive competitive advantage to Ford”.

Oh, also, hadn't seen any mention of this, but...apparently OpenAI-funded company was secretly building a bot? And it's already in real world use?

"Real world use" is one store...I took a look at this - not impressive. Tesla will outcompete.

It will take the market a while to figure this one out. Ford will almost certainly be paying into the build out of the super charger networks once the nacs connector is built in. This will mean more chargers and better not worse availability for everyone. Long term it will be increased profits and allow Tesla to be a major energy supplier as well.

But the fact that two auto brands outside of Tesla are using NACS will put a lot of pressure on other makers to put NACS in their cars. Who will be next?

Um, Ford is second, isn't it? Aptera was the first to say they will use NACS.

IDRA said they sold a Gigapress to a legacy American automaker.

Might happen before too long.
I don't think so

There is so much more to the unboxed method

Software is a crucial part of it, since you have to have modules in each part to QC them before joining everything, for example, it will probably be a similar architecture as current Tesla vehicles with 3 modules that do everything, but instead of left front and center, each module will have a main module

Another, unboxed assembly need brake by wire to be efficient, and many more that we could spend hours listing

On top of that, Farley just said how hard software is for them

Yes you do. See my posts from yesterday.

I subscribed in the morning and about 12 hours later the beta had downloaded to my car.

Also, you get a 48 hour grace period… If it doesn’t download to your car you could cancel before you ever get billed.

TL/DR, turned my car from a giant, dumb dumb into an above average teenage driver with a software update 🤯

Teslascope on Twitter has all the software builds listed with who gets it right away etc.

Just in case you’re not aware, you got a slightly older version of FSD. Newer 11.4 ones are even better!!

I don't think so

There is so much more to the unboxed method

Software is a crucial part of it, since you have to have modules in each part to QC them before joining everything, for example, it will probably be a similar architecture as current Tesla vehicles with 3 modules that do everything, but instead of left front and center, each module will have a main module

Another, unboxed assembly need brake by wire to be efficient, and many more that we could spend hours listing

On top of that, Farley just said how hard software is for them
I wasn’t meaning they would jump right to unboxed. Just thinking Gigapress is a good first step.

The takeaway from this is how it will be seen in retrospect as a watershed moment.

Ford/Farley were the first of the legacy OEMs to accept Elon's sincere and gracious offer for Tesla to work with other manufacturers to complete The Mission.

If you listen carefully, in the background you can just begin to hear it...

...the fat lady is warming up for her solo.​

BTW, comments on the F150 Lightning forum are generally positive. People there have twigged that their F150 Lightnings are now more valuable than they were yesterday.
We recently bought a used Lighting trading one of our Teslas in- We road tripped it the first week, and while we made it to our destination, I said never again would we road trip the Lightning, not because of it's range, but becuase the Charger anxiety was overwhelming, even though I knew it was going to be that way, It was worse than I imagined, Each time we stopped it was a crap shoot if the chargers were going to work or provide their advertised capability. WIth this announcement, I'll probably reconsider roadtripping the lightning.