Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each time we stopped it was a crap shoot if the chargers were going to work or provide their advertised capability. WIth this announcement, I'll probably reconsider roadtripping the lightning.
This is the worst. Planning a trip based on the assumption that you will be able to charge at a specific point only to have the charger fail is the absolute worst. The one time I finished a drive on 0% charge was due to a Supercharger that was out for the day. (I think the power company had actually blacked out the whole town due to fire risk)

Tesla supercharger being the most used and reliable charging infrastructure is crazy to think about.

There are a total of 278,063,737 cars in the US. Imagine in 20 years time these gas cars became all electric. 69 billion dollars will be made just on the charger adapter alone (assuming it cost 250 each). If every car on average super charge 20 dollars a month, then we are talking about 65billion dollars/year in revenue. At 30% operating margin and a 25x multiple puts all this at around current Tesla's current valuation.

Concerning...

I just signed up for the Handesblatt trial subscription for 1€ (and just quit again) to read that - the german TFF Forum has moved the topic to the owners area to protect affected owners (https://tff-forum.de/t/tesla-datenleck-handelsblatt-berichtet-exklusiv/282056/)

TL;DR so far for me:
- 100GB of data leaked to them ,it took them months to go through the material just to release a hit piece TODAY ?
- they are targeting FSD progress and casualities along the way
- unintended accelaration, phantom breaking causing accidents but so far all without proof
- the article series is a lot of general Tesla critics out into one article
- it contains unfortunately a lot of personal communication of tesla owners after accidents happened, of course those messages are not positive in tone

I am waiting for them to finaly release something that is materially bad, like tesla aknowledging in some internal documents to have unintended accelaration events they can't replicate or explain - that linked to past accidents would be worst case I guess and it is a material risk for the company - but who knows if they have it - would they really start with articles like they did and wait for the KO punch - dunno

EDIT: so far the worst thing that happened is data protection violation for affected owners, affected means they have personal data like messages within the data set - that's bad, probably a big fine in EU - but not too bad I guess

- unintended accelaration, phantom breaking causing accidents but so far all without proof
Not exactly a great secret. Everyone knew about these allegations about unintended acceleration. Phantom breaking is a known issue with Autosteer, not FSD beta. It's about time that they retired the old autopilot code and replaced it with FSD beta for highways.
EDIT: so far the worst thing that happened is data protection violation for affected owners, affected means they have personal data like messages within the data set - that's bad, probably a big fine in EU - but not too bad I guess
How is Tesla responsible for this if a "whistleblower" took the data? Was the data supposed to be anonymised or something? If not, I hope Tesla fights this in the court.

I just signed up for the Handesblatt trial subscription for 1€ (and just quit again) to read that - the german TFF Forum has moved the topic to the owners area to protect affected owners (https://tff-forum.de/t/tesla-datenleck-handelsblatt-berichtet-exklusiv/282056/)

TL;DR so far for me:
- 100GB of data leaked to them ,it took them months to go through the material just to release a hit piece TODAY ?
- it contains unfortunately a lot of personal communication of tesla owners after accidents happened, of course those messages are not positive in tone

I am waiting for them to finaly release something that is materially bad, like tesla aknowledging in some internal documents to have unintended accelaration events they can't replicate or explain - that linked to past accidents would be worst case I guess and it is a material risk for the company - but who knows if they have it - would they really start with articles like they did and wait for the KO punch - dunno

A data leak, especially one of this magnitude, is painful for Tesla. It hurts the company's reputation. It happens to (almost?) every company, but no other company will be hounded by this leak more than Tesla, we can be sure of that. Enjoy the next couple of weeks months of articles about this. As usual, it shall be tiresome indeed.

I have mixed feelings about this whole open Supercharger thing. It's a huge moat. Tesla should charge more for it for non-Tesla drivers. I get the mission and all, but Tesla should be handsomely rewarded for what it's built.

Many Tesla owners had the same feelings when Tesla opened up the EU charging network (not just to 1 competitor, but to ALL competitors).
It didn‘t worsen the competitive position of Tesla, on the contrary.

Musk has in the past been very cordial and friendly to competitors, particularly those who treat Tesla and Musk with respect. Remember when Diess invited Musk to speak to VW managers?

Ford is quickly becoming the legacy auto company most likely to survive the next 20 years.

Maybe they should now rename NACS to ‘Non-bankrupt American Car companies Standard’.

Overall, opening up the supercharger network to everybody is good for the mission.

This is the way.

Edit: forgot to mention: this Ford deal may have impact on EU Ford customers too: Ford is going to do an integration (backend or app) with the supercharger network. It’s not far fetched to assume the same integration will be available in Europe, i.e. a Ford user should be able to just plug in the cable and charge, and see the real-time availability of the superchargers in their app/navigation.

It would be very cool if Ford were to licence Tesla hardware and software stack - as we've speculated in the past, Tesla supply the skateboard and all the control hardware, the OEM do the shell on top, would look like a Ford, but have most of the benefits of a Tesla...

Both companies would win massively from such a tie-up and it would indeed advance the adoption of EVs
Well, guess I was close 😁

Elon always said all other manufacturers were welcome, but they needed to invest in the network. I would assume therefore this will accelerate the opening of more locations and stalls, which can only benefit Tesla owners

Note that we have all the SuC's open to other manufacturers here in Europe, but you don't see that many using them

Also the amount of free advertising Tesla will get from this cannot be understated - in that sense it's like the Hertz deal, Tesla got massive exposure from that, Ford will do the same, they will be shouting from the rooftops about this, adds some credibility and glamour to the Ford brand

Will also be an interesting conflict of interest for the mainstream media, on one hand they have Ford paying their protection racket money, and Tesla not, how will they handle this?

Finally, aside the obvious hardware inclusion, I'm assuming that there will be some Tesla software onboard too, surely the SuC availability and Tesla navigation algorithm would be adopted by Ford?

I see it as a massive positive for both manufacturers...

My big hope for this is that part of the deal with Ford includes an agreement that future Ford vehicles will have their charge port in the correct place!!

All they have to do is enforce that any "right-handed" charging vehicle connect in the vacant spot farthest to the left. That way, only one extra spot is taken regardless of the number of "right-handed" vehicles at the sight (could enforce this in the "App" by telling the Ford driver to connect to Charger #1A...)

Having 1 empty charge spot will not reduce overall site throughput for smaller locations (ie: 6-8 connectors) because the limiting factor is the site's grid power feed / transformer size. Smaller sights w/o megapacks do not have enough peak power capacity to support more than about 4 sessions at 250 KW. You'll end up waiting to connect, or charging slower if there are more connectors. The limit is the same, as should be the total time you'll spend at the SC location (waiting+fast charging vs. slower charging w/o waiting).

TL;dr Elon's team has got this. Don't worry, be happy... :D

Well, guess I was close 😁

Elon always said all other manufacturers were welcome, but they needed to invest in the network. I would assume therefore this will accelerate the opening of more locations and stalls, which can only benefit Tesla owners

Note that we have all the SuC's open to other manufacturers here in Europe, but you don't see that many using them

Also the amount of free advertising Tesla will get from this cannot be understated - in that sense it's like the Hertz deal, Tesla got massive exposure from that, Ford will do the same, they will be shouting from the rooftops about this, adds some credibility and glamour to the Ford brand

Will also be an interesting conflict of interest for the mainstream media, on one hand they have Ford paying their protection racket money, and Tesla not, how will they handle this?

Finally, aside the obvious hardware inclusion, I'm assuming that there will be some Tesla software onboard too, surely the SuC availability and Tesla navigation algorithm would be adopted by Ford?

I see it as a massive positive for both manufacturers...
Agreed this is a plus for Tesla either way. Most of all for the mission, but the exposure won't hurt.

Regarding other brands in Europe having access to superchargers, it is true you don't see them use it that often, but IIRC they need a monthly subscription to be able to access the Tesla SuC network.

Since most EV owners (non-Tesla's) I speak to already have one or two charging subscriptions running, I can imagine they're not keen on adding another. (like having too many streaming services, waste of money since you can't use them all).

If I understand correctly the Tesla-Ford partnership is different in the sense that Ford owners won't have to pay a subscription to get access to the SuC network, so I do expect a lot more Ford EV's at supercharger stations than other non-EV's.

I'm not worried though. If things were to get too crowded Tesla will use the extra revenue to build out more superchargers in the most affected regions (they have tons of data on this, as we all know and can even see in our route planner), and that will lead to more superchargers in more locations, benefitting all EV users.

Maybe very short term there can be issues, but nothing structural/long term.

And also, there aren't too many Ford EV's compared to Tesla vehicles right now, so until Ford ramps production more we're safe either way. And in the meantime the SuC network can still expand some more.

TL;DR: good news IMO

TL;DR so far for me:

So a German media organisation accepted stolen data/IPR from a rogue employee, and rather than alert the authorities and hand the data back, they'd decided to probe through it instead to try and throw shade at Tesla?

How is that ethical, or even legal? Seems nefarious to me

It's almost impossible to police against internal sabotage. As long as Tesla has it's data hashed/encrypted, with limited access to those with a "need to know" and documented/demonstrable procedures in place, then they have little to answer with regards to GDRP

As regards negative feedback on EAP (FSD is not available in Germany), this is probably very subjective. For instance, I've been using EAP for years and never had an unintended acceleration event, phantom braking, yes, but that's nothing new

Agreed this is a plus for Tesla either way. Most of all for the mission, but the exposure won't hurt.

Regarding other brands in Europe having access to superchargers, it is true you don't see them use it that often, but IIRC they need a monthly subscription to be able to access the Tesla SuC network.

Not so - you can charge without a subscription, but you get a higher cost per kWh, as is the case with other fast chargers. Subscriptionless charging is about €0,10 cheaper per kWh I think. Prices per kWh are around €0,50 - €0,60 as we speak for your average fast charger in the Netherlands, with superchargers being on the cheaper end of things right now.