Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ofcourse, anything can happen ... but a lot of countries have announced ban of fossil fuel cars. Some cities/provinces are even more aggressive, starting in 2025.

Phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles - Wikipedia

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

Indian Govt. Bans Petrol And Diesel Cars On The Road From 2030

France plans to ban all new petrol and diesel cars by 2040

BC 2040. Sometimes. And possibly a sped up schedule of 2020 due to pipeline war with alberta.

MODERATOR NOTE:
There are a strangely large number of supremely low-quality posts showing up. Not just people trying to be cute, and not just mischievous posters spreading malice, but real drivel.

If you can't post something of value, sit on your hands, please. If you want a silly chat group, there are plenty of other locations on the internet, so I have been told. Real comic relief - to an extent - always is welcome.

And in case you haven't noticed....I'm back.
Why not add a chat function?

I disagree. Track times are per lap, it doesn't matter to me if 5 hard laps aren't possible. If single lap times are comparable, then it's a comparable car.

I've taken mine out several times pre-track mode, it was a fine experience. Maybe not a great dedicated track car, but neither is a brand new M3 really. I don't know where you are getting your idea that you can only do 1 or 2 runs. Even without track mode I was able to complete 5 laps on my local track, laps 4 and 5 were just power limited.

I'm talking sessions, not laps. Session is usually 20-30min, i.e. ~10 laps on a long track (Mosport is 4km, Watking Glen and Calabogie longer still).

Your thinking is not representative of people that actually go to track often. With all due respect, I'm glad you enjoyed a bit of experience, but I feel I'm better qualified to judge for this purpose. 12 years of track going.

I need car to be able to run at least 40 hard laps a day, not 10-20 that it can do on a charge.

To date we haven't seen any EV that begins to approach any of Tesla's current models, mostly because they're bastardised ICE with a motor and some batteries. Where do I see Tesla's advantages:

- Frunk, both for cargo and safety
- Trunk, just blows all other EV's into the weeds - OK, they need an M3 form with a hatch, but that will partially be resolved with the MY
- Range, nothing else gets close
- Performance, nothing else gets close
- Software/Hardware integration, ditto
- OTA - is anyone else doing this, at all?
- Charging infrastructure, guess what...
- And yes, FSD, that's not to shabby ether and improving all the time

Where they do need to improve, and I've said this constantly for the last 5 years, is the fit, finish and quality of interiors, but that's it, just that.
Of course we all know that here.
The greater point is that the car industry generally has little pricing power, it’s fiercely
Competitive, and to differentiate your product superior FSD
Is a moat.

So now reports (Fred Alert) of a Model S/X refresh with new motors and 2170 batteries as soon as June. Potentially even with an interior refresh at the same time. With this I think Tesla would easily ramp S/X demand back to 25k+ per quarter.

Panasonic better hurry up and ramp GF1 cell lines to capacity! If this report is true, I wonder what Panasonic will do with its 18650 cell lines in Japan. Anyone think these old 18650 lines could be adapted to 2170? It looks like half the 18650 lines were not operational in Q1 given S/X production levels, so maybe they had a chance to start adapting half the cell lines already.

If this story is untrue, expect Elon to deny it quickly. This will further kill S/X sales until the refresh is released.

If the 24GWh capacity became a concern it'd imply that there'd be enough demand to get Panasonic to add more lines. Model 3 sales will largely be SR+ packs, and 24GWh/year is 400,000 60kWh packs per year.

Reactions: neroden
If this is true, then I'll gladly eat raven ;)

BTW, you forgot to preface that with the words "Fred Alert" ;)

Per my previous postings speculating on the S/X upgrade I am unsurprised by indications that the upgrade will introduce Model 3 technology - i.e. battery, power electronics and motors. If the upgraded S/X uses a battery pack similar to that of the Model 3, then the superbottle w. liquid computer cooling also seems likely.

I take the very limited number of Model 3 variants currently available as a sign that Tesla gives low priority to cosmetic changes, so I would not be surprised if the S/X upgrade has no such changes. If instead Tesla can manage to include into the upgrade the screen + dashboard (w. e.g. the innovative airflow control), then there is actually not that much technology left. Well, except the sensor suite w. the 360 degree camera view, which is essential for FSD.

So many changes may be too much to hope for, but I think the technology are much more important than cosmetics to bring back previous sales of the S/X - with their nice, high profit margins...

Reactions: neroden
The genomics stocks it contains are being clobbered despite no news that I can find. ARKG (-4.7%) which is devoted to genomics is being especially hard it. I suspect that at least one institution is unloading its genomics holdings.

Maybe this is why;

Health Stocks Crumble as Fears of ‘Medicare for All’ Snowball

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I'm calling my shot now, GF4 will be in Gdansk, Poland.

Low taxes, cheaper labor, seaport.

Another advantage is the EU political support Poland could provide: with no significant domestic automaker Poland could be an EU member that would prevent most EU level Volkswagen/BMW/Mercedes shenanigans that Tesla would certainly be exposed to if the GF4 was in Germany.

The proposed German EV incentives with a cut-off at 3.65m car length, blatantly excluding the Model 3 which is 3.69m long? ... That's a slap in the face for GF4 in Germany, IMHO.

Due to its population size Poland is one of the strongest 'new' members in the European Union. It's the 6th biggest EU member state by population size, after BRExit it will be the 5th biggest state.

Can see Sweden from your house.

Yeah, but only if you are member of the Sarah Palin family! :D

Last edited:
Another advantage is the EU political support Poland could provide: with no significant domestic automaker Poland could be an EU member that would prevent most EU level Volkswagen/BMW/Mercedes shenanigans that Tesla would certainly be exposed to if the GF4 was in Germany.

The proposed German EV incentives with a cut-off at 4.65m car length, blatantly excluding the Model 3 which is 3.69m long? ... That's a slap in the face for GF4 in Germany, IMHO.

Due to its population size Poland is one of the strongest 'new' members in the European Union.

Yeah, but only if you are member of the Sarah Palin family! :D

The big question is always financing.

If Poland is willing to pony up some juicy government-backed loans, Tesla will start building there by the end of the year.