Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Moderators are directed to treat any more such posts with the opprobrium they deserve.

What's "opprobrium"? I have 19 years of formal education, and I have no idea what you mean, what you want, or even what you think is the problem. Zero communication achieved.

This is worse than rampant use of acronyms. Plain language please, as is appropriate for an international audience.

What's "opprobrium"? I have 19 years of formal education, and I have no idea what you mean, what you want, or even what you think is the problem. Zero communication achieved.

This is worse than rampant use of acronyms. Plain language please, as is appropriate for an international audience.
You went to the wrong school :)

Can I just say, haven't we learnt by now that the bane of every options investor is when they say to themselves "In all probability, x will happen"?

Every time you say to yourself, "I believe x will happen", realize you're taking a chance, there's risk, that x will not happen, at least, not when you predict it.

But go ahead: invest in options if you dare. Just don't make it sound obvious that it will be the best choice. I think that's a mistake.

Indeed, probabilities can be misunderstood. Even Leibniz, a coinventor of calculus, incorrectly asserted that rolling a 12 with a pair of dice is just as likely as an 11.

Last edited:
You went to the wrong school :)

I went to many schools. I went to Business school. I went to STEM (my degree). I went to the Artillery School at the Combat Training Centre. I have taught in the Military, in Industry, and at the College and University levels.

The only word I have encountered that even comes close is "bloviate".

There are such things as dictionaries Lodger... popped right up for me!

And Audubon wouldn't be Audubon without saying stuff we common people have to look up!

Last edited:
Imagine a Supercharger site where the stalls didn't say "TESLA" like they currently do. They said "NACS". Would you still use it? Would you feel wounded or hurt somehow? It's just a label.

But the large number of other manufacturers jumping in, who will necessarily have to pay for/donate money into Supercharger site installation... face the possibility of paying for "TESLA" to be slapped on every stall... which they won't like or want.

I don't think the car-using public cares or really sees value in "FORD," "VOLVO" or "VW" being at the top of the stall either... it's kinda confusing. If EVGO, Blink, Shell, Exxon or Chevron etc. want to get into this business, are we all going to see different brands? Is that confusing?

The U.S. government, devoting public tax money to Supercharger site installation, won't want one company's name on the stalls. They will want something that is nobody. NACS is that nobody.

My suggestion is that "NACS" gets put onto the Superchargers from now on. The question of whether to go back to the thousands of stalls already deployed and change the names is... up to Tesla and I would expect them to not do that.

To the question "should Tesla spin off the Superchargers into their own company" - do not discount Elon's altruistic bent. He could navigate through this by making a separate company, that government taxmoney would go to, so that the optics are not "hey, Tesla is getting free money from the government!!!" People on all sides of this will have to figure out how to be comfortable with the accounting. Perhaps the company can be structured so that Tesla is the head of the standards body and responsible for channeling new innovations and technologies into NACS - while the rest of the company is simply devoted to installing, permitting, manufacturing and government outreach.

I stretched my photoshopping skills to change a photo of a Supercharger to say NACS on it. But for some reason TMC isn't accepting it :rolleyes:

(Aside: I wish the name of the standard was not NACS. It would be a lot easier to deploy it globally without the geographic reference. I fear that chance has passed... perhaps NACS can simply have another name for non-North American deployments... e.g. "Electric Vehicle Charging System" / EVCS)

. My idea (and it's just an idea) would involve the continued management of the system, as is. It would just be a separate entity within the Tesla umbrella.

Does your idea include a workaround for the alternative minimum corporate tax in the U.S.A.? Because at $10B annual revenue by 2030, this new entity is gonna pay some extra taxes that are due to the transactions between Tesla and the new company.

Well dang. I thought there would be a bigger party going on in here. I could have used some cheering up.
On a happier note the people I actually see are consoling me about me getting out of TSLA when it was around 180.
They even broke out the old...Bears eat. Bulls eat. Pigs get slaughtered. old rag.
Most people here probably have very vivid memories…or nightmares(if they had to sell for whatever reason in the past year), about what happened the last time TSLA went on a mega rally 🥴

Well dang. I thought there would be a bigger party going on in here. I could have used some cheering up.
On a happier note the people I actually see are consoling me about me getting out of TSLA when it was around 180.
They even broke out the old...Bears eat. Bulls eat. Pigs get slaughtered. old rag.
Okay, I'll chime in. The TSLA share price is up 2.7 times from its January low. A technically encouraging Golden Cross is likely to occur soon, when TSLA's 50-day SMA (simple moving average) crosses above its 200-day SMA.

BTW, Does anyone miss @value_analyst ? 😂
You mean this guy?

1687300081251.png

I don't understand this obsession with Tesla "needing" to spin off Supercharger network (much less Tesla wanting to do so voluntarily). For Tesla, it's all downsides, financially, logistically, and so on.

Is it a monopoly concern? I don't see how it's Tesla's problem if other DCFC networks fail to execute. If anything, they should be less a monopoly concern now that they've started opening their network versus before?

Nobody is preventing others from putting NACS plugs on their DCFC stations (and in fact, some have announced plans to do so).

Nobody is forcing other OEMs to use NACS or give up using CCS1 - especially since they are electrically identical, and dumb physical adapters are all that are needed to enable future vehicles to use both CCS1 and NACS.

Is it simple shareholder greed, wanting to spin it off so they can extract the profits from energy sales that would otherwise have gone to Tesla internally to fund future expansion (as neither buy backs or dividends are likely on the horizon any time soon)? If this was done, it would hurt Tesla both in terms of taxes on the money transferred between entities, and taking away funding from future development. Buy backs and dividends can come when there's no greater need.

Imagine a Supercharger site where the stalls didn't say "TESLA" like they currently do. They said "NACS". Would you still use it? Would you feel wounded or hurt somehow? It's just a label.

But the large number of other manufacturers jumping in, who will necessarily have to pay for/donate money into Supercharger site installation... face the possibility of paying for "TESLA" to be slapped on every stall... which they won't like or want.

I don't think the car-using public cares or really sees value in "FORD," "VOLVO" or "VW" being at the top of the stall either... it's kinda confusing. If EVGO, Blink, Shell, Exxon or Chevron etc. want to get into this business, are we all going to see different brands? Is that confusing?

The U.S. government, devoting public tax money to Supercharger site installation, won't want one company's name on the stalls. They will want something that is nobody. NACS is that nobody.

My suggestion is that "NACS" gets put onto the Superchargers from now on. The question of whether to go back to the thousands of stalls already deployed and change the names is... up to Tesla and I would expect them to not do that.

To the question "should Tesla spin off the Superchargers into their own company" - do not discount Elon's altruistic bent. He could navigate through this by making a separate company, that government taxmoney would go to, so that the optics are not "hey, Tesla is getting free money from the government!!!" People on all sides of this will have to figure out how to be comfortable with the accounting. Perhaps the company can be structured so that Tesla is the head of the standards body and responsible for channeling new innovations and technologies into NACS - while the rest of the company is simply devoted to installing, permitting, manufacturing and government outreach.

I stretched my photoshopping skills to change a photo of a Supercharger to say NACS on it. But for some reason TMC isn't accepting it :rolleyes:

(Aside: I wish the name of the standard was not NACS. It would be a lot easier to deploy it globally without the geographic reference. I fear that chance has passed... perhaps NACS can simply have another name for non-North American deployments... e.g. "Electric Vehicle Charging System" / EVCS)
GCS

Keep in mind folks that the Upper-BB closed at 280.66 today (so still some 'head-room' in the After-hrs session, SP now at $278.08 w. good volume). :D

MODS: Still unable to post images (problems began yesterday).
Speaking as Mod: We are aware of the problem, but moderators are powerless, it's the forum admins who need to address whatever the problem is. They know about it. That's all I/we know. --ggr

edit: In the time it took me to type this it appears they fixed it.

Last edited: