Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea why you are dissing the S/X refresh. The current S is a giant improvement on the original S which I also owned. It sells well enough to be profitable and is a killer halo car. I think your negativity is unmerited.
Not talking about the product, I'm talking about the production/process. Tesla blundered that refresh badly. Took forever for S/X to get back to decent production volumes. For many quarters, production of the S/X was 50-75% under what the production lines were capable of which has big negative impacts for margins for the S/X, both gross and operating.

How do you not remember that? Tesla's own guidance was way off in terms of when they thought they'd have production of the S/X back up to production levels. Tesla has been excellent with their production and efficiency ever since they overcame the initial Model 3 ramp. The S/X refresh clearly was a blunder by them. Even Elon acknowledged as much.

What made it even worse is that Tesla essentially missed the period where they would have had the top pricing power for the S/X. By the time they reached normal production levels for the S/X, the Feds had started raising rates and affordability became an issue.

Nvidia had their cycle of capitulation just like Tesla in the 100s. It was way oversold and rebounded. However it was the ChatGTP craze that gave Nvidia more juice and then eventually we see it in the numbers. 8 Months ago Nvidia was in bad shape as they just lost 300M dollars worth of revenue due to the China ban and had a pretty substantial decrease in gaming revenue due to the post stay at home/crypto crash. So a good portion of that "break out" was just technical trading like Tesla bouncing off capitulation.
We're essentially saying the same thing here. Both Nvidia and TSLA rallied based on oversold conditions.

The fundamental difference is Nvidia got valued for the AI effects and those were modeled into future earnings by practically every analyst out there...well before Nvidia had it's blowout quarter. Obviously analysts had to raise their future earnings estimates after that given the blowout quarter.

TSLA however has not had its future earning estimates raised. As I said before, there's no valuation given to FSD, Energy, Gen 3, Supercharger revenue, Insurance, and so on.

So to me the two companies are experiencing two very different rallies. Nvidia rallied first off of oversold conditions and then was given credit for all that future earnings growth and that's why it's 30% higher than it's previous ATH. Tesla hasn't been given any credit for it's future earnings drivers and that's why its rally is just because of oversold conditions and why it's still 35% below it's ATH

We're essentially saying the same thing here. Both Nvidia and TSLA rallied based on oversold conditions.

The fundamental difference is Nvidia got valued for the AI effects and those were modeled into future earnings by practically every analyst out there...well before Nvidia had it's blowout quarter. Obviously analysts had to raise their future earnings estimates after that given the blowout quarter.

TSLA however has not had its future earning estimates raised. As I said before, there's no valuation given to FSD, Energy, Gen 3, Supercharger revenue, Insurance, and so on.

So to me the two companies are experiencing two very different rallies. Nvidia rallied first off of oversold conditions and then was given credit for all that future earnings growth and that's why it's 30% higher than it's previous ATH. Tesla hasn't been given any credit for it's future earnings drivers and that's why its rally is just because of oversold conditions and why it's still 35% below it's ATH
I mean Tesla is @ like 4x of Toyota's valuation with potentially declining margins while the CEO is constantly saying "it's going to get worst before it gets better".

So I'm looking at some stuff baked in (just not fully baked in).

I can’t articulate this properly and I don’t want to write a 10,000 word essay, so it will come out sounding stupid:

All these historical averages et al are all based on a world that no longer exists, where business as usual was digging stuff up and burning it to make all sorts of other stuff happen to make money. Now that we no longer have a biosphere that can soak up our old way of doing business, looking back at how numbers used to be when there was still available environmental overhead for those old businesses to function is meaningless. IMO.
Here’s how I look at it.

If you buy the SP500 at a 33 PE versus an historical person buying at a 20 PE, you are effectively buying an asset that returns 3% compared to the historical person buying an asset that returns 5%.

The only way that that buying a the 3% asset can be wise comparatively, is if the future earnings growth is higher than it was historically.

So the industry is only important insofar as it determines the earnings growth.

We’d need to see if the SP500 earnings are growing more rapidly than they did back then. If earnings growth has not accelerated, then stocks are overpriced now, compared to historical norms. Of course even if stocks are a worse deal than historically they might still be a wise investment if alternatives like bonds also yield less than historically.

One detail jumps out at me, Steer-by-wire and a yoke.

That suggests a possibility of variable ratio steering, which would work well with a yoke.

Steer-by-wire is also a route to making Model S/X available again in RHD countries.

With the rear wheel steering, it is very likely that Cybertruck also has steer-by-wire.

If Cybertruck and Model 3 have steer-by-wire, it is fairly logical that Model S/X will also get it.

Brake-by-wire is the next feature that may or may not be included at this time.

Steer-by-wire also strongly implies a new wiring harness with redundant paths, that is also a good fit with brake-by-wire and HW4. I think HW4 can operate in a network mode with data effectively being sent over a LAN.

IMO all of these innovations could be accommodated without major changes to a vehicle's body, the earlier Model S/X refresh may have allowed for a future upgrade to this mode of operation.

Something I learned today that might be helpful to folks here:

Share lots with your personal financial advisor and be upfront about everything in your life even outside finances. In particular, when you're in retirement. I just learned a really valuable lesson today to do so. Trust matters, especially with money management.
Hmm. I share everything with my personal financial advisor, because that would be me.

Anybody who would become a personal financial advisor as their job would have so little in common with me as to have no chance whatsoever of understanding anything about me. Why would I want such a person involved in my life in any way?

I learned this a long time ago.

Perhaps StarFox was just commenting on the timing of the S/X refresh? There was a delay that even Elon/Tesla didn't seem to expect from when production and deliveries stopped on the old versions until when the new versions could actually be delivered. Wasn't there months on end with basically zero S/X production or availability?

Hopefully somethign similar doesn't happen with the 3 -- production shut down, followed by a long time to restart and a slow ramp.

Perhaps, if the other rumors/suspicions are true (namely, that a Highland production line is being set up at Giga Texas), this transition will be much smoother, and for a time Fremont will keep pumping out "old" Model 3's while Texas ramps up...

And pricing making highland more expensive temporarily to keep a market for the legacy 3?

Osbourning may already be a thing with the recent coverage.

Eh I don't think TSLA is having its Nvidia moment at all.

This is just a rebound rally where Wall St is acknowledging they way oversold TSLA. While we may think it's clear as day to see the incoming revenue steams and what they will do to Tesla's earnings in future years as soon as 2024 and 2025, it's not nearly as clear to Wall St. Not anything like what happened with Nvidia where 6 months ago, the a catalyst emerged that clearly was going to affect Nvidia's earnings and Wall St recognized it and jumped in big time.
Wall Street schmall street. I do my own work:

Now that 2022 is over we can look back and calculate a (CK)non-GAAP PE for the year. Non-GAAP in that I make adjustments for changes in the value of assets held instead of looking only at earnings. An example of that would be that if you owned a $1M home that went up 100K in value. Your GAAP earnings were zero but your (CK)non-GAAP earnings would be 100K. Giving your house a (CK) PE of 10. Another example would be to look at the GAAP earnings of the Mona Lisa. The earnings are accrued over decades but only recognized on the sale. So, a PE of infinity and then almost zero. So much of our earnings at Tesla are not reflected in the profit and loss statement I think it makes GAAP near useless in determining the value of our shares.

So, here we go. My unofficial official earnings report for 2022:

- 10B. cash earnings.
- 100B. value of FSD. (based on 1T when done. We went from 70% to 80% complete.)
- 10B. Semi "start" of production.
- 10B. CT prep for mass production.
- 1B. value of work done to get lithium refinery going.
- 10B. Bot progress. Mostly in the form of real world AI.
- 5B. factory buildouts and improvements.
- 10B. Tesla Energy nearing ramp.
- 10B. skunkworks projects.

166B total of value created but not recognized.

Puts the current "real" PE at somewhere between two and three. Around eight at our highest valuation.

Someone earlier asked what they should tell their son who worried that Tesla was trending towards being a big car company that didn't reward its investors. My answer would be to go through all the progress Tesla made during the year in setting the stage for future earnings. Earnings that will be returned to shareholders in dividends, share repurchases or share price appreciation. (See BRK.A for an example.)

We need to get out of the 12 month Wall Street price target earnings modeling rut. Current profits only matter in that they help fund future innovation ... and we're way past having to worry about issues like that.

Bought more TSLA today.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now we can start to pencil in some numbers for 2023 ... and they're going to be big.

Last edited:
The caresoft team is a benchmarking company that does advanced scanning and disassembly to cost and improve cost on vehicles.

John McElroy sits down with the CEO and CTO(?) and they are GUSHING about Tesla and their manufacturing dominance. Very reassuring for this shareholder. Definitely worth a watch (at 1.75 speed🤣).

Since other folks have shared their analyses, I’ll share my simpleminded approach to the options I bought (I‘m a big fan of simpleminded analysis, as I find things have a way of becoming complicated all by themselves 😉).

Historically (meaning step way back and squint at the chart), TSLA has spent most of its time in one plateau or another. Within roughly in the same plateau though, the stock price is usually being jerked hither and yon by the manips. I can‘t imagine trading options in the midst of the gyrations.

Then, at times, there will be these rapid legs up to the next plateau, whereupon the manips resume their shenanigans.

Once every year or three, there will be a serious deviation from the plateau. When that deviation is upwards it’s hard to know if it’s a leg up or not—it’s difficult for me to imagine trading options in this case (beyond a selling a few covered calls if things look really frothy though I’ve not done so yet). However (and so long as Tesla is still executing strongly) a serious deviation to the downside—as we saw at the end of last year—presents an opportunity.

So now, when to get out of the calls I bought then? The current plateau was long in the tooth already last Winter. It seems unlikely to me that it will last another 18 months. The Street is likely already trying to get ahead of the (anticipated) macros, so it may not be all that that long till the next leg up.

So I’ll wait awhile hoping for that leg up and not do anything much. If we still keep tumbling along on this plateau when I‘m a ways into long-term holding of those LEAPs, I might reconsider.

If we plunge, well, I’ll be even more glad that my holdings are far-and-away just long TSLA shares. 😂

Last edited:
$300 and subsequently $400+ is simply a matter of when, and not if. in my opinion, likely to happen within next 12 to 14 weeks, probably much earlier
$600 to $700+ could be in cards by September/October 2023
all this pure speculation on my part based on TA
50-50 probability, flip a coin
not to be taken seriously
not investment/financial advice

PS: NVDA was trading at $262 on april 25, 2023 and now at $431
but that will never ever happen to TSLA
so short away with great confidence
Which is it? $300/$400 or $600/$700? 12-14 weeks is Sept./Oct. Timeframe.

my guess...pure speculation.

Last edited:
Ford gets nearly 11 figures from Uncle Joe. Also "China dominance", lol.
View attachment 949918

Ford Gets $9.2 Billion to Help US Catch Up With China’s EV Dominance
So lame. Ford probably haven't paid back the original $5.9B they borrowed from taxpayers in 2009 -

okay, i will not speculate. have fun making money with your certainty on this forum. i will be busy hitting $1billion+ with my wild speculations
Surely I don’t speak for everyone; but I enjoy your extreme optimism and bold calls. Plenty of bearishness around lately so it’s a nice balance.

If someone doesn’t like your posts, they can put you on ignore. I’m sure I’ve made it onto a few ignore lists…I’m good with that.