Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we talking range while towing or hauling or range with very light loads?

There will be a big difference, IMO to achieve decent range while towing the range while driving with very light loads might be quite good.

I am not expecting CT to defy the law of physics while towing, so it needs a large enough battery to make it between Supercharger stops, and fast enough charging to be convenient.

The maximum I expect most people towing would want to do is 2 Super charger stops for 20-30 mins on an 8-9 hour trip.

Say 8-9 hours averaging 55 miles per hour, covering say 450-500 miles per day. I think that is what they would like to achieve.

So ideally a CT set up for long distance towing can travel at least 250 miles between charging stops while towing. 200 Miles is less than ideal, but might be acceptable.

The first model available might not have the ideal towing range.

A longer range vehicle suitable for towing might depend on the 4680 ramp, which may in turn be dependent on things like Lithium refining.
Hopefully if the initial vehicle has a shorter range, they provide a rough timeline for the longer range version.
Sorry, I was not talking about towing.

Ducking hell, just saw a Model Y here in Brazil, second Tesla sighting ever

Absolutely gorgeous, white with 20” wheels

Didn’t even have time to snap a pic
One lives in the building where my nephew resides. Another is on my block in Rio, part of a car collection with Maserati, Porsche, etc. I’ve never seen either one driving or at public chargers.

I'm not so sure. If the Chevy Silverado EV does launch with a 400 mile range (like GM claims) and the CT launches with only a 350 mile range, well that could be bad for anyone who DOES want to tow with their EV truck. By bad I mean it could hurt CT sales. Not at first because it will be new and early adopters will eat them up, but in time the Silverado could emerge as the "EV truck for towing" if it has a superior range to the CT.

Range is king when it comes to EV towing.

"Not at first" means what, exactly?

There are probably 2M pre-orders for the CT. If half of them bow out (for any reason) that likely leaves a million who will then decide whether or not what is offered is acceptable. My guess is that most of those left at that point will take delivery. I know I will.

So, four or more years to ramp to full capacity and work through the number of CTs which are already reserved. All before this "at first" period you describe has passed and the "early adopters" have finished grazing?

What you are concerned about is this new Chevy Silverado hurting CT sales "in time" which places that time at a point between four and seven years in the future.

A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. If the Chevy Silverado EV does launch with a 400 mile range (like GM claims) and the CT launches with only a 350 mile range, well that could be bad for anyone who DOES want to tow with their EV truck. By bad I mean it could hurt CT sales. Not at first because it will be new and early adopters will eat them up, but in time the Silverado could emerge as the "EV truck for towing" if it has a superior range to the CT.

Range is king when it comes to EV towing.
LOL...I'll believe it when i see it and if GM can actually make a profit selling this. I can see it already, "GM is preparing to launch it's Cybertruck killer, watch out Tesla.....coming in 2026" By Luc Olinga/Al Root

Yeah i wouldn't be worried:
1689561518175.png

Last edited:
One lives in the building where my nephew resides. Another is on my block in Rio, part of a car collection with Maserati, Porsche, etc. I’ve never seen either one driving or at public chargers.
This one was at Curitiba

Sitting at a stop light while I drove by, if I wasn’t late for my flight I would have went around the block to check it out

Reflecting now, I should have said screw the flight

This one was at Curitiba

Sitting at a stop light while I drove by, if I wasn’t late for my flight I would have went around the block to check it out

Reflecting now, I should have said screw the flight
I understand, in Brazil a Model Y (from your description) is as rare as hens' teeth.

But around here there's more of them than there are Model 3's.

Nice cars, no question. But not enough to get a marching band going.

I usually like Sabine's stuff, but she missed on a few things on this one.

She implied that US homes don’t have access to 240v for charging.

She had comments about high power dc charging reliability issues. While true, Supercharger reliability shows what CAN be done with a well operated system. That should have been noted.

I think she overstated the impact of EV charging on the grid and didn’t point out how much charging is done at night when demand is low.

She DID however hit the main points correctly : hydrogen and hybrids are wrong answers, EV emissions "payback" is relatively early (~20,000 miles) and will improve as the grid improves.

It should be pointed out that from her past stuff, it seems she doesn’t have a particularly favorable impression of Elon. May be why Tesla was seldom mentioned by name.

It was a horrible video. Many flat out wrong statements. Thinly researched (seemed to hit most oil lobby talking points). Honestly, Sabine's skeptic schtick is wearing a bit thin on me these days. And her disdain for Elon is just dumb. How you can do a video about EVs and ignore Tesla's charging network or their sales leadership is beyond me.

This was already covered when I had to correct ADs claim the entire launch (not just the SS version) had been pushed to 2024.

Not only are the other models on track for summer launch, first production models have already shipped from the factory-- same link I provided on this before:

• Informative
Reactions: M|S|M MYP
Heyo guys,

Just checking in on you all. Q2 earnings is coming and I feel like participating in the class reunion.

Kinda curious how many new Teslanairs have been minted and disappeared to their FATFIRE life since covid started?

I personally went hard in sports and am now the champion in my province. Aiming to win #1 in the country now.

Heyo guys,

Just checking in on you all. Q2 earnings is coming and I feel like participating in the class reunion.

Kinda curious how many new Teslanairs have been minted and disappeared to their FATFIRE life since covid started?

Unfortunately I went to Hotel California.

I tried to check out many times, but I could never leave.

Last edited: