Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy and utility scale projects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
perhaps the proposed, point to point trip of Starship next month,
Boca Chica, Texas to Kaua’i, Hawaii, could deadhead a few mega packs as a demo load……
(90 minutes to anywhere on the planet….)

This is a tremendous idea, and IMO likely already in the works. Elon wouldn't send this up with nothing interesting in it, and what could be better? Perhaps it's an entire autonomous solar+megapack install rover that will barge to Kaua'i and install it's own massive microgrid?

This is a tremendous idea, and IMO likely already in the works. Elon wouldn't send this up with nothing interesting in it, and what could be better? Perhaps it's an entire autonomous solar+megapack install rover that will barge to Kaua'i and install it's own massive microgrid?
the launch has been delayed until january, 2022, no exact time NET
nextspaceflight.com

it’s just a wish, but….

Reactions: mspohr

I've had a niggling feeling for sometime that perhaps Tesla needs to a "first principles" look at solar manufacturing.

What I have in mind is a "Solar Day" equivalent to "Battery Day", to be worthwhile Tesla would need some breakthroughs which reduce the amount of energy needed to make solar panels, reduce the cost, and make the manufacturing process more efficient..

IMO this is potentially needed for the following reasons:-
  1. Solar panel manufacturing might not keep up with demand..
  2. The world is too dependent on Chinese manufacturing.
  3. Tesla needs to lower the price, and lock in good volumes on regular panels...
  4. Tesla needs to lower the price of the solar roof..
We have seen the Solar Roof is a drag on the energy business margins... partially that is just the labour cost and complexity of the roofs. Partially that is the cost of the solar roof, and IMO importing cells from China isn't ideal...

There is lots of great solar R&D going on world wide, for example:-
SunDrive is aiming to have a demonstration module using its cells by years’ end and is building a pilot 20-megawatt production line to be completed by 2022.
There will be many cases when the inventors of a great new way of making solar panels don't have the capital, and manufacturing expertise, required to scale up volume production...

Previously I didn't think this was an issue, but China might start to become a bottleneck, energy and labour costs in China might start to rise, global shipping might remain a bottleneck.. More local solar production in the US and Europe might be a step forward.

I've had a niggling feeling for sometime that perhaps Tesla needs to a "first principles" look at solar manufacturing.

What I have in mind is a "Solar Day" equivalent to "Battery Day", to be worthwhile Tesla would need some breakthroughs which reduce the amount of energy needed to make solar panels, reduce the cost, and make the manufacturing process more efficient..

IMO this is potentially needed for the following reasons:-
  1. Solar panel manufacturing might not keep up with demand..
  2. The world is too dependent on Chinese manufacturing.
  3. Tesla needs to lower the price, and lock in good volumes on regular panels...
  4. Tesla needs to lower the price of the solar roof..
We have seen the Solar Roof is a drag on the energy business margins... partially that is just the labour cost and complexity of the roofs. Partially that is the cost of the solar roof, and IMO importing cells from China isn't ideal...

There is lots of great solar R&D going on world wide, for example:-

There will be many cases when the inventors of a great new way of making solar panels don't have the capital, and manufacturing expertise, required to scale up volume production...

Previously I didn't think this was an issue, but China might start to become a bottleneck, energy and labour costs in China might start to rise, global shipping might remain a bottleneck.. More local solar production in the US and Europe might be a step forward.

Plus wind, geothermal, High Voltage long-distance transmission, many forms of storage. All could do with some First Principles, intelligent & naive engineers.

Storage especially could have multiple answers: LFP batteries (fast), others (compressed air, heat-sand/state-change) are needed to cover windless winters (low solar/wind) for a week or longer periods. Tesla could bring these together in a rather more integrated & intelligent Autobidder ecosystem.

Wind power could combine large turbines & tiny wind harvesters (slightest breeze). In all the techs, we have so much potential to improve. This is just the start, whereas much of fossil energy has reached the point where big improvements are unlikely and uneconomic compared to Solar, Wind & battery (SWB).

I would love an intelligent near PassivHaus home where excess refrigerator heat is recovered, over-provision of solar & storage, local virtual grids/power plants.

………I would love an intelligent near PassivHaus home where excess refrigerator heat is recovered, over-provision of solar & storage, local virtual grids/power plants.
OT @UkNorthampton
have you done a blower door test?
i seem to recall they pressurize the house and find leaks, ex filtration (warm or cool air out) and infiltration (drafts from outside)
At the Solar Decathlon a few years ago, there was an 800sqft house that could be heated (their words) by a 1,600watt hair dryer it was so tight against air leaks, like a thermos bottle, but care needed to be taken for breathing air.

At the Solar Decathlon a few years ago, there was an 800sqft house that could be heated (their words) by a 1,600watt hair dryer it was so tight against air leaks, like a thermos bottle, but care needed to be taken for breathing air.
Passivhaus designs rely on body heat. Figure 100 watts per person. The houses are virtually airtight except for designed air vents with built-in heat exchangers. As a practical matter most add a small supplemental heater at these air vents for long, cloudy cold spells. They work well in a German climate, and the upfront HVAC savings offset most/all the added construction cost for insulation and such. They don't work so well as you go farther north, due to a lack of winter sun. And further south in cooling climates the last thing you want is to conserve body heat!

Passivhaus designs rely on body heat. Figure 100 watts per person. The houses are virtually airtight except for designed air vents with built-in heat exchangers. As a practical matter most add a small supplemental heater at these air vents for long, cloudy cold spells. They work well in a German climate, and the upfront HVAC savings offset most/all the added construction cost for insulation and such. They don't work so well as you go farther north, due to a lack of winter sun. And further south in cooling climates the last thing you want is to conserve body heat!
if you look at the evolution of passive and active solar houses since the late 1950’s, you can follow the changes how the designs changed as materials become better..
earth ships, houses designed to essentially funnel sunlight and warmth in, then as PV changed from $1,800 a watt to 30 cents a watt, flipping over to point the roof sunwards, then just add PV panels, use SIPs etc.
been fascinating watching it for over 60 years.
(had a thermal envelop house with a double partial shell)
Barnesville, Ga, Silver dollar road, before that, super insulated house, heat grabber walls, etc

What it shows is that by 2025 the combined output of wind and solar is on track to exceed total entire electricity demand for a few hours in the middle of the day over Quarters 3 and 4 of the year.

The trend of rooftop solar installations will drive an uptake of home batteries, especially if the price of those batteries is right.

Not a Tesla project as of yet, but interesting to see these megaprojects attempt to move forward.

This project would run a massive underwater cable to Singapore. Currently Singapore gets nearly all it's electricity from natural gas, I assume LNG.

This would be quite a bit cheaper.

Amazing that a 5000 km cable is still cheaper than local NG

Not a Tesla project as of yet, but interesting to see these megaprojects attempt to move forward.

This project would run a massive underwater cable to Singapore. Currently Singapore gets nearly all it's electricity from natural gas, I assume LNG.

This would be quite a bit cheaper.

Lovely - more details in article, but this is key, showing what's possible. North Africa / Ukraine could do similar for Western Europe. Add wind, plenty of high voltage transmission and overbuild. Abundant and often free energy is possible, at other times chargeable.

The plan is to provide power to Singapore via a 4,200km sub-sea cable, but also to boost the local manufacturing industry to mop up the surplus of low-cost solar power that will be delivered into Darwin.

Lovely - more details in article, but this is key, showing what's possible. North Africa / Ukraine could do similar for Western Europe. Add wind, plenty of high voltage transmission and overbuild. Abundant and often free energy is possible, at other times chargeable.
Here's another project from Morocco to the UK

Here's another project from Morocco to the UK

Saw that one. Seemed a strange idea since the British isles have so much offshore wind potential.

My assumption has always been irl/Scot/UK would end up at like 200% offshore wind and would export a bunch.

Gonna be interesting to see how this all shakes out, these projects are mammoth but easy to put together for experienced developers.

I live in an up-and-coming part of Philly, where developers know they can simply print money on any project. They pay off city councilpeople and throw up highly irrational projects that aren't anything near what people want. Hopefully this renewables gold rush doesn't go that way.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Saw that one. Seemed a strange idea since the British isles have so much offshore wind potential.

My assumption has always been irl/Scot/UK would end up at like 200% offshore wind and would export a bunch.

Gonna be interesting to see how this all shakes out, these projects are mammoth but easy to put together for experienced developers.

I live in an up-and-coming part of Philly, where developers know they can simply print money on any project. They pay off city councilpeople and throw up highly irrational projects that aren't anything near what people want. Hopefully this renewables gold rush doesn't go that way.
It should be wind, solar, storage and lots of long-range high-voltage transmission to even it all out. Utterly doable, economically viable, required to combat climate change and great for energy security

My worry is that much of the press releases are to get government funding flowing to charlatans and crooks. I have concerns over British battery factories (what's our competitive advantage?), nonsense hydrogen uses etc. Spin over delivery is my fear.

Reactions: Doggydogworld