Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I want to know is do any of these V4 stations support 800v charging? (I know the pedestal supports it, but I don't know if the actual charger does yet.)
Depends what you mean by support. The V3 cabinets are what feed the Semi Megachargers and the DC Bus Link voltage of 880-1000V is a strong indicator that the hardware can output 1000V.
Whether it's enabled is a different issue.

Rapid growth not only hurts margins through underutilized production capacity and work force as you point out, there’s nearly zero fully depreciated / amortized assets as well. In addition operating expenses are higher. Building stores, staffing HR, setting up service centers has to be done ahead of time at a scale for a company that will 1.5X larger or more depending on the lead time.

And in Tesla’s case, R&D is scaled for a company > 10X larger. E.g. $1B R&D annually for Dojo, that is not currently affecting the bottom line. Unboxing manufacturing R&D, Optimus…

Truly having positive free cash flow with this kind of growth is just staggering.

I co-founded a startup once a long time ago that got venture-backed. It's easier to grow users when you give a great/good product for cheap/free, but with very high operational cost with not enough revenue coming in. When you do get users, the tough part is to get them engaged and NOT churn out of being paying customers while keeping a significant LTV with those engaged/paying customers. Meanwhile, this also requires (for a well run business) to keep costs to keep those customer as low as possible (which is insanely difficult in R&D spend usually unless you cut corners in customer service).

Tesla's growth at such a late-stage with hardware AND software products/services reminds me of no one doing this well...that is, keeping customers happy enough to get others to buy Tesla products and to stay and be value+ customers while keeping the operations cost so low in high growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Energy FTW. Energy > Autos some day?

Over the past month, Tesla has secured contracts worth a combined $1.3 billion for its Megapack stationary storage battery product. And this figure only includes the ones we know/I've tweeted about. There are likely more that haven't been publicly disclosed yet.

Source

Unfortunately the laughing emojis in reply makes it more likely this is a joke:

Oddly enough, chose the same day as this person on Facebook to post this, though:
(Old enough to remember when a tweet from someone with a blue checkmark was a legitimate source of news. Sigh. That platform is useless now)

But the configuration actually going live shouldn’t be too far away though, but will presumably only happen at or after the promised launch event, which hopefully will also introduce the new model 3.

Tesla Energy FTW. Energy > Autos some day?

Over the past month, Tesla has secured contracts worth a combined $1.3 billion for its Megapack stationary storage battery product. And this figure only includes the ones we know/I've tweeted about. There are likely more that haven't been publicly disclosed yet.

Source

This makes me feel more positive about the future of human civilization. Sending good vibes.

From the 10Q, we can see that Tesla paid about $76m for Wiferion. Doesn't seem like much money.

1690342001582.png

IMO Megapacks produced at Lathrop will increasingly pivot to export due to IRA rules.

You might want to ask @MP3Mike for a 2nd opinion on that. I think IRA rules for China-sourcing of batteries only applies to the EV side, not to the stationary storage side.

Futher, the USA needs two (2) plants the size of Lathrop running at 80GWh/yr to even meet current demand. What was that again? ... "quasi-infinite".

You might want to ask @MP3Mike for a 2nd opinion on that. I think IRA rules for China-sourcing of batteries only applies to the EV side, not to the stationary storage side.

Futher, the USA needs two (2) plants the size of Lathrop running at 80GWh/yr to even meet current demand. What was that again? ... "quasi-infinite".
This article is interesting:-

Among the many tax incentives the bill gives to clean energy industries, it provides massive support for the lithium-ion battery (LiB) value chain for electric vehicles (EVs) and energy storage.

As far as I can tell from a quick search IRA rules for raw materials sourcing may only apply to EV batteries.

Regardless, import duties probably need to be paid on imported LFP when the final product is sold in the US.

Cell production credits apply to cells regardless of the final product type.

Energy storage battery projects get this additional credit:-
The biggest change for energy storage companies in the IRA was the introduction of an investment tax credit (ITC) for standalone storage projects at a base rate of 6% and a full (‘bonus’) rate of 30% for projects that meet requirements about apprentice labour and prevailing wages. Previously, the ITC was only available to energy storage projects when paired with an ITC-eligible renewable generation, typically solar.

Last edited:
... the [CT] configuration actually going live shouldn’t be too far away though, but will presumably only happen at or after the promised launch event, which hopefully will also introduce the new model 3.

1st clue that this was a hoax should have been when a UK-based CT reservation holder gets an early delivery. UK, Euope, Asia, OZ (and even likely Canada) will all have to wait. It's the IRA battery production tax credit, you know. I estimate the Gov't will toss around $45 * 200 = $9K at Tesla for each CT they sell in the USA. Now that's in addition to the Federal and State incentives that the purchaser gets in the USA. There might be 10 years worth of backlog for CT for this spec. Europe and Asia may have to wait for their own factories before they get this vehicle.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ