Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting L.A. Times article titled "Guide to buying an electric car now". Always like to see how Tesla is portrayed in the old media landscape. The interesting part is that there is no mention of either Tesla or the Supercharger network :oops: . Tesla Model Y gets a mention in the Midrange pick category, and the authors bio at the bottom says he: "covers the rapidly changing global auto industry, with special emphasis on California, including Tesla, electric vehicles, driverless cars and vehicle safety". I'd say that covering the auto industry with a special emphasis on California, and writing a buying guide without mentioning Tesla or especially the Supercharger network, his journalism skills need some serious honing...

A little web searching goes a long way, even for a journalist...

View attachment 966760

Budget pick is the Nissan Leaf. Midrange pick is the Hyundia Ioniq 5. Ultra-luxury pick is the Porsche Taycan Turbo S.

Article says: "As for public charging - it remains a mess".

Reminds me of the "old days" when journalists ignored Tesla because, well, every other car maker was developing all the Tesla Killers. We all know how that worked out. Maybe his next big piece will be "Guide to buying a smart phone now", with no mention of the Apple ecosystem. :p

An article about EVs in the USA that doesn’t cover tesla is about as useful/accurate as an article about the Space launch services market that doesn’t cover SpaceX.

Tesla is by far and away the majority of US EV sales, and if someone wants come out aa a complete flatheaded moron - then that article has achieved that goal for its author.

Yes, these folks should lease their new Teslas. That way, the Leasing Co. gets the $7,500 directly, and applies the credit directly to the lease. It'd be even better if this deal was bundled with an Option-to-Buy at a pre-arranged price, so it's very much like financing a new car with a loan.

Cheers!
While that can work, the issue is for low income earners, the job and commute is likely to change over the course of the lease, which may cause additional lease fees wiping out much or all of the savings.

• Disagree
Reactions: wipster
But low income earners won't qualify for the full $7500 tax credit. And if they take it at the point of sale they will be screwed when it comes time to file their taxes.
It's true that there will need to be some education. You will probably have to sign something saying you understand what you are getting into.

The government may even set some requirements where you have to show tax liability in a previous year to get the credit at point of sale.

It's a solvable problem that I don't expect will be a deterrent to buying an EV. Overall, the point of sale tax credit will be a huge boon.

I really like the way "end of line" at Austin is being built across the highway on the west side well away from the rest of the factory.

When Joe T mentioned being told the purpose of that area the first thing to cross my mind was how convenient a Boring tunnel would be between the factory and the "end of line" facility.

Edit: let's make that a pair of tunnels as the drivers need a return shuttle route that doesn't impede the outbound flow

Last edited:
Why don’t you show us the proof it’s real and not staged?

How can anyone believe anything on the Internet today, anything coming from media, anything coming from influencers and YouTubers etc?

And to get more on topic; we darn well know analysts, hedge funds, institutions and the like bald face lie about Tesla every single day in an attempt to manipulate the share price to their advantage to make money.

Even if some truth exists within that video, what is it exactly?? And how do any of us know?

And if anyone wants to think it’s not malicious and just stupidity, then feel free to tell me how idiots running and contributing to finance, the market, company’s information etc. is a help to us? I’m all eyes and ears.
Wow, some serious Group Think there—any negative info is assumed false until proven otherwise now?

Recommend increased looks in the mirror as that kind of thinking may lead to TSLA investment problems…

I don't see it being much different. You still have to qualify, and you can adjust withholding to get the credit back early now.

Wait until 2025 when someone that normally only pays $3500 in taxes owes $4000 to pay back the extra they didn't qualify for when they file their 2024 taxes. The outrage will be huge.

Though full details of how it will work aren't available yet.
AND Tesla’s own website header suggests major reductions in that credit (perhaps by half?) on 1 Jan 2024 as well.

When Joe T mentioned being told the purpose of that area the first thing to cross my mind was how convenient a Boring tunnel would be between the factory and the "end of line" facility.
Same. Add an autonomy script following markers laid out, and you would cut a tremendous amount of transfer labor when production is at peak.

Yes, these folks should lease their new Teslas. That way, the Leasing Co. gets the $7,500 directly, and applies the credit directly to the lease. It'd be even better if this deal was bundled with an Option-to-Buy at a pre-arranged price, so it's very much like financing a new car with a loan.

Cheers!

Tesla leasing does not pass through the $7500 tax credit- so that's a non-starter unless you can find a 3rd party lease company to use and that 3rd party lease company IS willing to pass it along.... (and from a number of threads on slickdeals about this nobody AFAIK has found one).

Many legacy companies DO pass along the $7500 credit via their own leasing facility--- in some cases this lets you get a $7500 credit even on cars that don't at all qualify for the IRA credit for an individual buyer (Hyundai for example).

At some point if needed to keep sales in line with continued production increases, switching to offering to pass-through the credit might be another demand level Tesla can pull--- this might also be a useful way to keep the full $7500 credit "available" for the LFP models that will likely lose at least half of it as the % of non-Chinese requirements increase year over year.

But currently it's Not A Thing for Tesla leasing.

Oh- also, the "buy at pre-arranged price" idea of yours has 2 other major issues-

1) Tesla does not permit buying out of leases- the car always goes back to Tesla
2) The IRA specifically calls out you can't structure a lease so that it's effectively a sale

serpentza is a controversial channel full of anti-China pro-USA rhetoric. Don't forget, there is a war of anti-China propaganda going on inside the countries of the U.S. empire. Not in the majority of the world. (yes it's politics... it's the weekend... I didn't post the video) I recommend disregard that channel

I think it's foolish to disregard that channel, in the same way it's foolish to ignore Elon Musk even though some stuff he says is total bs. In fact, I don't think that Sterzel makes stuff up, even though I disagree with some of his conclusions.

Sterzel and his colleague Matthew Tye (laowhy86, whom I prefer) read, speak and understand Mandarin, and lived and worked in China for years. (They are also married to Chinese women and have traveled unsupervised extensively within China.)

Sterzel isn't a Tesla fan, because he's a "car guy" who likes old cars, and has said that he thinks hybrids are better than EVs, but he's not specifically anti-Tesla.

Sterzel isn't anti-China, he's anti-CCP. He's also not really pro-USA, he's more about being pro-freedom. He's clearly quite a conservative person, and much more conservative than Tye.

Anyway, that video was about censorship and politics of China, and wasn't drawing any conclusion about impact on Tesla/TSLA. People will have to come to their own conclusions on that. I think that Tesla will probably make or will already have made adjustments to shut things off in the sensitive zones or made the data accessible to the Chinese government to show that it's not spying, primarily so that people aren't inconvenienced and sales aren't impacted.

Just don't expect CCP elites to be driving around in Teslas. :p

Last edited:
Badass and large, not much space between supercharging spots for doors to open. No worries about door dings for the CT but S3XY owners might have an issue.
~ 1.5 inches wider than model S 78.2" vs 79.8" if google is accurate with dimensions... is that a real issue ?.. still most will be 3 and Y at any given session

Reactions: Tim S
Battery replacement? Not sure I’ve heard about that…

Would be nice if we could find some statistics, I personally believe this to be very rare… - almost to the level «Drive a car?? No-no, people get hurt by doing that».
i though the same just had my HV battery replaced last week on Model S (49000 miles) .. new 100KWH pack ... i hope it is rare 🥴
SC did claim it was a new battery ... not sure how I could verify this

Last edited:
TSLA testing its 100-day Moving Average MA(100) this morning: Opened on the Sunny Side. ;)

View attachment 967018

Cheers to the Longs!
It’s a nice move today. Pretty good volume and broke through 100 day like nothing.

But I’m pretty skeptical of such a move with such a tiny catalyst (analyst note). Would not be surprised at all if volume dries up after the first 1-2 hours, that it’s walked back to down the 100 day and then we see if this really holds are not. A strong finish would mean a lot and by a strong finish, I mean ends the day above 225/share.

Even if this rally does fade, maybe it’ll give the stock enough time for the real catalyst to come, which is Cybertruck delivery announcements. It seems to be just a matter of a couple weeks away

Last edited:
Wow, some serious Group Think there—any negative info is assumed false until proven otherwise now?

Recommend increased looks in the mirror as that kind of thinking may lead to TSLA investment problems…
So let me set the record straight for you. I post all by myself and I post what I think. You’re not new here and certainly have the ability to look at my posting history. There’s a clear, individual pattern.

I’ve been very clear in previous posts about the level of truth and fact coming from the Internet, media, analysts, articles etc., etc.,

Now, rather than try and change the conversation just provide some concrete evidence that what you posted was entirely factual. Here’s a hint for you: someone already tried to do that for you, however, the truth they uncovered was a bit different than you presented.

Finally, surely you jest that I have or might have a Tesla investment problem. Once again, a look at my posting history would clear that assumption right up for you.

Adding: the only TSLA or Tesla risk left worth being concerned about is what WallStreet types and their country club buddies decide to do.

Last edited:

For some reason I thought you had been around here for a while. Welcome to TMC!