Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"...Believe it or not, for anyone to check if the brake fluid reservoir [cap] is in place, they will have to remove the plastic cover on the base of the windscreen. The second embedded video here shows that on a Model 3, which shares several components with the electric SUV.

"I saw this post on Reddit and thought it was extremely dangerous if there was no cap to the brake fluid. And based on Tesla's track record of issues, I had to check my car." "
Definitely a problem if even one car is escaping the factory with a major crack in a major structural component...hopefully it is literally one in a million. It seems like there are many human or automated ways to check for cracks before a cast part goes anywhere near a vehicle....

But the author here chooses inflammatory wording to describe this brake reservoir cap "issue" and seems to be trying to shock readers that probably have zero auto maintenance background and probably can't find the brake fluid reservoir in their ICE car, whether or not it has a cover.

I'm surprised the author didn't go farther, and point out: "Before you can even see that [cough, easily removed] plastic cover, you first have to open the hood, which requires the poking of a software button and then using a [slight] lifting force with your arms. And Tesla doesn't even call it a hood, they use this made-up "frunk" word to confuse you! And when you first open that "frunk" all you see is empty storage space. How does empty storage space give you confidence that this new fangled Electronic Vehicle can even go? When I open the hood on my car, I see a compartment packed with metal tubes and hoses and spinny wheels and fluid tanks and metal blocks and I don't understand any of it, and that gives me great confidence that the people who made my car knew how to really make a thing that can go!"

Sounds like a good idea to me. It's worth five minutes of your time to be sure everything looks good under that big piece of plastic. If you wait until the warranty runs out before you ever look under there it will be too late.
Agreed...always good to know your vehicles, know where to check for basic maintenance/access, and to check out the basic stuff.

That said...(and I say this rather jokingly) in this case, the very end of your post could have been finished with: "If you wait until the warranty runs out before you ever look under there it will be too late, and you could have to spend $8 of your own money on a reservoir cap!"

Serious note: Tesla's maintenance calls for checking the brake fluid occasionally, so hopefully somebody notices before 4 years is up. But, caps are accidentally left off rather often during routine ICE fluid checks/maintenance of course too, and it usually takes a "worst case scenario" for the cost to be much more than the cost of the cap. I guess I don't know the worst possible result in this case...but if a brake fluid reservoir cap is missing from the factory, there's risk of *some* fluid spilling out or the fluid just aging quicker as it absorbs moisture or other contaminants from the air...so in a worst case scenario a missing cap unnoticed for 4 years/50,000 miles could cause a higher expense than my comically noted $8. But yes, of course, always good to check what you can occasionally!

Reactions: wipster and AZRI11
*Fear Unvertaintly & Doubt (FUD) - propaganda against EVs

Tesla related - I think second-hand values of Teslas are lower as prospective buyers are affected by FUD* (easily influenced) - FUD has been really heavy in the UK recently. I would have expected many more "taxis" to have switched to EVs by now in my local area.

X post/Guardian article on UK improvements of DC chargers in spoiler.

I like the density image (darker is better) & it would be great to see these for other countries/regions and comparisons.

Before I saw this image, I thought that the North of England, Scotland and Wales were poorly served. They're better than I expected, being ok by resident population it seems but during peak holiday periods are probably overloaded. Also, distances between chargers may be high in Scotland especially.

Devil in the detail, many might be Tesla-only DC chargers or low power & unreliable. Quality isn't measured, but of course could and should be.

In any case, I'll be using this to counter some arguments people I know have. I've noticed some people i know in real life have softened their anti-EV stance recently as they know more people who have EVs. They can avoid the odd fan-boy but not a variety of people they've known for a long time such as siblings.

1693239486295.png

Reactions: 2daMoon and AZRI11
FUD is amusing. Lots lately, wonder if they need a sale price on the stock? Maybe the best indicator of imminent future SP performance?
No link provided, you can google it if you want to give such drivel a click...

Tesla’s Cybertruck has a serious problem that only a complete redesign can fix

It’s official. The Cybertrucks coming out of Tesla’s Texas factory are bad. Bad, bad, bad with a capital Musk, as shown by the judgment of the X-kingpin himself. After taking a production candidate of this polygonal horror for a spin, Musk wrote an internal email to Tesla employees, revealing his concerns in categorical terms: “Due to the nature of Cybertruck, which is made of bright metal with mostly straight edges, any dimensional variation shows up like a sore thumb.” However, the real problem here is that these aesthetic troubles are rooted deep in the very nature of its design, which may make them extremely hard—if not impossible—to fix unless there is a complete redesign, as we foretold back in January.....

If I saw brake fluid on my garage floor I might... but dunno if that's what spurred the author to do so.
No, he claims to have checked it because he read on the web that it's dangerous if there's no cap

Now I've owned probably 30 cars and 20 motorcycles in my time and have never had a brake reservoir without a cap, never heard of this happening to anyone I know, ever, so it all sounds extremely suspect to me

VFS options (Puts) are out...they are expensive. And the Momo is in the wrong direction.
Just one last thought on VFS, be cautious as ONE PERSON owns 99% of the shares.
VFS options (Puts) are out...they are expensive. And the Momo is in the wrong direction.

It might sound like a slam dunk to short this very over priced EV stock, but with such a concentration of shares to one person, unless he sells, I am not sure the stock has a downside right now.

here is the quote I just read from Fox Business:

“Reuters reported Pham Nhat Vuong owns 99% of the company. He has a personal fortune worth $66 billion, according to Forbes.”

• Informative
Reactions: StapleGun
No, he claims to have checked it because he read on the web that it's dangerous if there's no cap

Now I've owned probably 30 cars and 20 motorcycles in my time and have never had a brake reservoir without a cap, never heard of this happening to anyone I know, ever, so it all sounds extremely suspect to me

Anyone else think some mod may be likely to put a lid on this topic?

I mean, they can only take so much cap from us, right?

:rolleyes: 🤣

Just one last thought on VFS, be cautious as ONE PERSON owns 99% of the shares.

here is the quote I just read from Fox Business:

“Reuters reported Pham Nhat Vuong owns 99% of the company. He has a personal fortune worth $66 billion, according to Forbes.”

Market cap is 191B right now, so if he owns 99% - he’s technically richer than Elon.

It's amazing how much $$ Tesla is making off of interest income nowadays. It wasn't too long ago this was the quarterly revenue for Tesla Energy.
It's amazing how Ford and GM are so much in debt and yet they do not see the need to use some of the $$ they are holding to pay it off 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴What a world we live in where the interest you make on your cash supercedes the interest on the $ you owe.

Tesla Solar onboarding is a super impressive process, I'm going through it all right now and it's legit great.

I've heard some real horror stories from people going to other solar companies because they don't like what Elon tweets. They're really missing out on how seamless everything has become with Tesla. I can't imagine what it was like when Tesla Energy was SolarCity. Anyone have experiences getting solar via SolarCity?

It's amazing how Ford and GM are so much in debt and yet they do not see the need to use some of the $$ they are holding to pay it off 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴What a world we live in where the interest you make on your cash supercedes the interest on the $ you owe.
Agree....it's likely similar to what households do- don't pay off low interest rate loans with cash that can be safely invested at a higher interest rate for net profit....