Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I don't think in dollars or pounds any more, but I hope my CT costs less than 100 $TSLA

Historically, TSLA is a very unstable measure of wealth.

Do you not realize how TSLA has a disconcertingly steep deflation curve?

Are you prepared to manage the complexities of depending upon a currency which will trend toward greater value in the future, rather than following the norm of most other currencies to trend toward less value over time?

This seems a rather cavalier attitude that few people will pursue.

As for those who will take this path less traveled...

HODL. 🤑

Ah, good point - I did a quick read of the X/Twitter post and somehow assumed that it was stating that the Model Y would come back with a new version of the 4680 pack. This, however, is not the case and it's possible that the new 4680 cells will be used exclusively for the Cybertruck as Cybercells.
If the rumor is true (all upgraded 4680's being reserved for Cybertruck) then:
1) This lowly engineer approves of Tesla putting out the Austin Model Y (279 mile variant) as the Minimum Viable Product early on, to get true scaled road/weather performance data, all while selling said Viable Product at Viable Profit Levels
2) Since they have pulled said Model Y from the website configurator (that is verifiable fact), it sure seems like the Cybertruck is rolling out forthwith.
3) WHERE IS MY CYBERTRUCK ALREADY!!!!! (Not "my" in the sense were I on the waitlist, but "my" in the sense that perhaps TSLA investors like me would enjoy a long! awaited! positive catalyst in the ticker world as well as an avalanche of media coverage!!!!) Breathing hard, breathing hard.... I'm OK.. No really, I'm OK now.

As a disclaimer, there were around 1.2m reservations for CT prior to Tesla pulling the ability to choose, so these surveyed numbers are misleading. It's actually impossible that 67% of the people has fsd when 60% of the people had the ability to pick if they want it. So survey may suggest like 100% of the people who answered had reservations before Oct 2021.
Do we know that somone with a newer reservation can't just say they "intend" to get FSD and be part of that stat?

I mean this is crowdsourced honor system data anyway. I don't think you can parse it that fine.

Gap closed to pre-Morgan Stanley upgrade levels in today's Pre-Market.

It's all just snakes'n'ladders to Wall-E... the either don't read the news, or they control it.

snakes+ladders+TSLA.png

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2023-09-20.22-00.png

Cheers to the Longs(nakes)!

Further to the NMC cells now under development at Dr. Jeff Dahn's laboratory in Halifax, the latest published test results show no degradation of the cells over the last several thousand cycles: That's right: the cells appear effectively to have stopped aging, and are cycling 4x daily with well over 90% of their Day-0 capacity.

Further, due to additonal research done by a grad student at this lab, these cells may have a shelf-life of 100 years: (no parasitic side-reactions are occurring)
In fact, newly-hired scientists at Dr. Dahn lab have recently added new test equipment at the cell-test facility to monitor 'out-gassing' of cells, which seems to be a directly-measurable by-product of the side-reactions associated with cell degradation. Significantly, the NMC 5-3-2 cells now under test don't show this off-gassing:

Fast-forward to the end-game: what if Tesla announced a 20-year warranty on it's new Cybertruck battery packs? What if it announced a hundred?! (well, seriously...) Or how about a 4-million mile warranty on Semi batteries? The economic implications for the logistics industry are mind-bogglingly good. Perhaps half the cost of a diesel semi? Or is it 1/4?

Cheers to the Scientists!

What is the longest battery warranty now (from any manufacturer on any car battery)? They could just spit the difference on the existing warranty and the expected lifetime and pocket the profit on lower pack replacement rates.

Besides from a marketing standpoint wouldn't a "unlimited" or "lifetime" warranty be the way to go if you really could do 20 years?

Further to the NMC cells now under development at Dr. Jeff Dahn's laboratory in Halifax, the latest published test results show no degradation of the cells over the last several thousand cycles: That's right: the cells appear effectively to have stopped aging, and are cycling 4x daily with well over 90% of their Day-0 capacity.

Further, due to additonal research done by a grad student at this lab, these cells may have a shelf-life of 100 years: (no parasitic side-reactions are occurring)
In fact, newly-hired scientists at Dr. Dahn lab have recently added new test equipment at the cell-test facility to monitor 'out-gassing' of cells, which seems to be a directly-measurable by-product of the side-reactions associated with cell degradation. Significantly, the NMC 5-3-2 cells now under test don't show this off-gassing:
IMG04-768x480.jpg

Fast-forward to the end-game: what if Tesla announced a 20-year warranty on it's new Cybertruck battery packs? What if it announced a hundred?! (well, seriously...) Or how about a 4-million mile warranty on Semi batteries? The economic implications for the logistics industry are mind-bogglingly good. Perhaps half the cost of a diesel semi? Or is it 1/4?

Cheers to the Scientists!
Once this kind of power source hits Optimus, one (family?) can own one for like 6 generations.

To me, this is the most pausible reason why Tesla Giga Berlin may not be increasing its human labor force quickly right now. They may intend to keep the number of humans constant, and add more automation as production expands. "Productivity" is what makes labor valuable; the human workers there will need more diverse skills, and be more valuable to their employer. Win-Win.

Cheers to the Work-Force!

Are you implying Optimus specifically will be ready to contribute to Berlin ramping by next year??

Reactions: Electroman
Gap closed to pre-Morgan Stanley upgrade levels in today's Pre-Market.

It's all just snakes'n'ladders to Wall-E... the either don't read the news, or they control it.

View attachment 975880

View attachment 975881

Cheers to the Longs(nakes)!
I had an order in at 255, then decided to pick up 50 at market price.
(Helps to be on the east coast when trading, time wise… waiting forever for it to open though.)

Here is yet another Cybertruck wrap.
F6e2nk4bcAAoyO5

I haven't seen much discussion of the Cybertruck wraps in regard to how it could represent an opportunity to increase margins on the vehicle. There have been many, many different wraps spotted and Tesla has gotten quite creative with them. They must be relatively easy to design and apply.

I suspect that the Cybertruck design studio might include the ability for customers to create their own wraps that would be applied at the factory. It could use an AI image generator so that the customer could say something like, "Wrap my Cybertruck in the style of Salvador Dali".

Could Tesla charge an extra $10k for this? Maybe even $15k? I think so. And Tesla could easily do this much cheaper than the labor-intensive process used by aftermarket providers.

I haven't seen much discussion of the Cybertruck wraps in regard to how it could represent an opportunity to increase margins on the vehicle.

Probably because Tesla isn't going to offer wraps, it's insanely time consuming and not at all something they'd offer as they try and ramp up new production.... Elon said as much previously pointing out there's already tons of 3rd party options for this.

Ok I'm calling it...
Monday will see the announcement of the cybertruck delivery event, plus final specs and pricing. Monday is the perfect time to set the agenda for the week, and we are seeing so many cybertrucks now, that they must start to get awkward to manage soon unless they hand some to customers.
I did think the event would have already happened by now, but it seems they are being especially cautious, which is fair enough because its such a new design of vehicle, with new materials and construction process.

$300 by end of October
$350 by end of the year.
$400 by end of Q1 2024.

Probably because Tesla isn't going to offer wraps, it's insanely time consuming and not at all something they'd offer as they try and ramp up new production.... Elon said as much previously pointing out there's already tons of 3rd party options for this.
I think maybe Elon has changed his mind. Otherwise, why do all these wild wraps on so many pre-production units?

Tesla may have figured out a way to do wraps that that is cheap and quick.

This may be a Cybertruck feature that is hiding in plain sight. And it could be wildly profitable.

I think maybe Elon has changed his mind. Otherwise, why do all these wild wraps on so many pre-production units?

This may be a Cybertruck feature that is hiding in plain sight. And it could be wildly profitable.
It's flat stretchable sheets applied to flat bent sheets (no curves), what could be less labor intensive? The blue truck looks like they unrolled the film down the side then cut in place (no paint to damage). If they did it before wheel trim and mirror attachment, even simpler.

That said, a reason for the wraps is that they are (basically) free advertising. It also provides differentiation to show there are multiple units out there.

Vinyl-jet Printer.

Think those robotic spray head arms in a paint booth, but with a large ink-jet style head that sprays liquid vinyl-like coating, instead of a paint gun.

Load the vehicle 3D model in to the control system, select your pattern, and hit "Go". You could even allow the customer to bring their own picture files.

You know what? I might need to patent that.

Doubt it will happen on the line, considering the potential impact to production flow.

There could be a post-production wrapping station/building that is associated with the new logistics lot being built across the highway. This way it would not hinder non-wrapped production/delivery flow. I would suspect it would be difficult to justify from a "The best part..." perspective.

It is more likely to be left to third-party installers simply because the process doesn't justify the trouble of Tesla managing the wrap option at the factory. Not to mention Tesla also avoiding warranty concerns for the wrap.

Probably will be a good thing for all the Wrap artists. 😉

Edit: Tesla could offer to print the custom wrap and ship it with an installation kit for the new owner to install, or, to have someone install for them.