Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The graph would look a bit different if lumped together by Auto Group or even by platform, not separating out each brand when they often share the same underpinnings

I mean,, not that different relative to Tesla...

Combine Kia and Hyundai and you get just under 34,000 total still still behind even Chevy (they make WAY better EVs than Chevy but they're being hurt pretty clearly by lack of access to IRA and state credits here....) and more than 10x behind Teslas number if you use the text from the story (or just over 1/10th using the graph #).... Combining all VW brands listed gets you barely to 30k. And nobody else is even really worth mentioning combined.

When you outsell the next -19- nameplates combined any combo of a few of those 19 owned by the same group is still gonna leave you pretty distantly behind.

Last edited:
I mean,, not that different relative to Tesla...

Combine Kia and Hyundai and you get just under 34,000 total still still behind even Chevy (they make WAY better EVs than Chevy but they're being hurt pretty clearly by lack of access to IRA and state credits here....) and more than 10x behind Teslas number if you use the text from the story (or just over 1/10th using the graph #).... Combining all VW brands listed gets you barely to 30k. And nobody else is even really worth mentioning combined.

When you outsell the next -19- nameplates combined any combo of a few of those 19 owned by the same group is still gonna leave you pretty distantly behind.
Yup but it would look a bit different

Platform would be another interesting grouping as we have some companies using platforms from other companies, IE VW's MEB platform will be used for the Ford Explorer and GM's Ultium is being used for the new Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX.

Platform would be another interesting grouping as we have some companies using platforms from other companies, IE VW's MEB platform will be used for the Ford Explorer and GM's Ultium is being used for the new Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX.

The Ford ExplID.4er is just going to be sold in Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: AndrewZ
I think Ford and GM will have a tough time getting bailed out again. The IRA was supposed to be their pre-bailout. Plus they are borrowing billions from the government in order to create their battery factories. At some point even the Biden administration will start to say enough is enough.
Right observation but I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion. The more the government is invested in these companies, the more incentive they have to keep them alive. They also won't mind having ownership.

So much for the competition is coming….. isn’t GM’s EV sales mostly the Bolt which it had said earlier in the year they were discontinuing it?

Yes, which they extended because they are struggling to ramp their other vehicles, which will include the Chevrolet Equinox, which was supposed to be their volume EV, from next spring with the 1LT at $30k, and the real-base-2LT at $34k. Now they're also going to try to fast track a "Boltium" after they've realized they have a relatively popular product in a space that nobody else in the USA is competing seriously in, since HyunKia doesn't have access to the tax credit. All the Bolt and Bolt EUV need to bump sales is faster DCFC.

Last edited:

I have always stated real competition arrives summer of 2024 going forward. From that point on all of the automaker's " just you wait" EV vehicles will be coming en masse to dealers. EVs will not be a novelty just another powertrain option. That is when things get interesting,

Now they're also going to try to fast track a "Boltium".
Did you come up with that yourself? I think it would be a great name. GM should change it to "Boltium".

All the Bolt and Bolt EUV need to bump sales is faster DCFC.
As a Bolt owner, I can tell you this is spot on. 55kW is way too slow for many to tolerate on a road trip. Give it a 150kW max and a NACS port. Then you've got a great little low-cost EV. If they had the battery supply, GM could sell a gazillion of them.

How about this Pepsi, start at San Antonio and drive 70-75 mph to Dallas on I-35 and see what the battery usage is? Pepsi could even take 130 around Austin do a photo op past the Tesla factory heading north. The South wind would even be beneficial. Or San Antonio to El Paso on I-10 where its posted 80 mph.

I fear these trucks will be like the 65 mph governed JB Hunts and Schnieders. Moving Chicanes or road blocks on the interstate.
You just keep moving the goalposts until you’re happy rather than acknowledge the feat Tesla has accomplished AND will continue to improve on.

I know, you’re just being realistic and acknowledging the shortfalls to provide a balanced, non-echo chamber environment for all our benefits. Saving us from ourselves one post at a time; what a doll.

Hey, Tesla! Throw in the towel; your EV semi sucks chips and dip.

You just keep moving the goalposts until you’re happy rather than acknowledge the feat Tesla has accomplished AND will continue to improve on.

I know, you’re just being realistic and acknowledging the shortfalls to provide a balanced, non-echo chamber environment for all our benefits. Saving us from ourselves one post at a time; what a doll.

Hey, Tesla! Throw in the towel; your EV semi sucks chips and dip.
No Boo, just providing my own opinion. I don't live in your echo chamber or world.

Wish the media would go into more details here, what was the harrassment? Why only this employee and not others?

With many in financial media stating that Tesla is and will be the beneficiary of the UAW strike. The timing of this article is ............."peculiar".

Wish the media would go into more details here, what was the harrassment? Why only this employee and not others?

With many in financial media stating that Tesla is and will be the beneficiary of the UAW strike. The timing of this article is ............."peculiar".
Normally, when FUD articles like this are released, we consider this a bullish sign ;)

I believe they are actually trying to the best of their current abilities. . No one wants to deliberately put themselves in a bailout situation. I honestly doubt they will get much help with a domestic rival (Tesla) that is the envy of the automotive world.

Having worked for Ford for 10 years I think they don't have the talent. All the real engineering is at the suppliers. I worked mostly in plants but I used call the employees in Detroit "metal benders". Lot's of good guys that knew how to bend metal, mold plastics and package everything into the car but not much else as far as skills. This is essentially what they became as they outsourced what they thought would always remain commodities. This is how industries evolve and this is what they became.

If you watch one of the Jim Farley interviews where he talks about 100's of electronic modules in the car, with 10's of suppliers and all with different software that don't talk to each other, I believe he really understands the problem. The challenge is now developing an organization to bring this all in house again and do it well. Buying a few key suppliers may help but then you have the challenge of integrating them which could lead to lots of other organizational issues. The integration Tesla has done here is a huge competitive advantage far beyond the EV part of the puzzle as this should have been done with ICE vehicles long ago.

They did not take the threat seriously 10 years ago, now its too late and I am not sure any amount of money could fix it.
Each time this point is made, many people promptly ignore the consequences of the just In Time model combined with Tier one and Tier two suppliers. FWIW, Boeing learned that in public humiliation with the B787 battery fires, the consequences of Tier one outsourceing, followed by Tier one to Tier two with near zero engineering or business awareness of each step.
This history has been regarded as off-topic, but understanding this is the most descriptive consequences of OEM outsourcing models based on Tier structures that outsource engineering, quality control and packaging.

Each time someone claims any OEM, name one, any one, can do what Tesla has done the fatal logical flaw is that NONE, repeat NONE of the legacy OEMs can conceive how to compete with Tesla. Herbert Diess knows that and said so, some lost his job. Jim Farley knows it but shrinks from copying Diess lest he suffer the same fate.

Each day we do all we can to understand the Tesla weaknesses. That assessment is wise. Tesla is not perfect. TSLA is volatile because it violates every industry norm. Outliers always seem high risk.

Now we have the UAW and the "US big three" admitting they're clueless while the UAW firmly announces they aren't going to pay the price of adaptation, supported by US political leaders.

With that what happens to TSLA? Remember the world, Tesla Energy, and batteries, always batteries. Remember manufacturing innovation Gigcasting, Octovalve, motors without rare earths and so on. Remember robotics and manufacturing innovation.

When we seriously examine all that we can ignore Elon histrionics, ignore market manipulation, stop obsessing over every production/sales period.

We can keep holding and accumulating while results keep coming. We only need to have nerves of inconel, and high tolerance for ambiguity.

(note: my accounts have just completed a ten year review. Today, of all days, I realize that HODL philosophy works but, as my tax attorney just said yesterday "Ten years ago you tried to get me to buy TSLA and I thought you'd lose it all. I did not realize you were sending half your time learning enough to be confident you were right and the market wrong. Today it all is so obvious, in retrospect". He was told by three of his colleagues that they were all now owning Teslas.)

The Investors thread here has all the information but so many of us still think the traditional OEM style can be successful. For that matter they probably think Boeing is the champion of modern spaceflight./s

Last edited: