Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Ford and GM will have a tough time getting bailed out again. The IRA was supposed to be their pre-bailout. Plus they are borrowing billions from the government in order to create their battery factories. At some point even the Biden administration will start to say enough is enough.

As for Tesla letting others have the EV truck market for awhile, this has been no picnic for Ford and Rivian. It's very hard to make a profitable EV truck because a truck requires a much larger battery. I think Tesla never considered anything but 4680 for the Cybertruck. They needed to use a battery they made themselves. Otherwise, the vehicle could not be profitable. Same for the Semi.

The fact that Cybertruck and Semi are entering production means the promise of 4680 is finally being fulfilled. This is huge. The market should be rejoicing but they just don't get it.
Most administrations will not want to deal with the optics of the combined job losses associated with both the bankrupt OEM and all their suppliers. Politics is an nasty business and what people should do is the road less traveled. There's a lot of votes connected to those jobs.

If given the choice, as a taxpayer, I would NOT bail out GM or Chrysler. I think Ford might have skipped the last bailout?

Most administrations will not want to deal with the optics of the combined job losses associated with both the bankrupt OEM and all their suppliers. Politics is an nasty business and what people should do is the road less traveled. There's a lot of votes connected to those jobs.

If given the choice, as a taxpayer, I would NOT bail out GM or Chrysler. I think Ford might have skipped the last bailout?
Exactly. The big 3 may be in for bankruptcy and humiliation but they are too big and politically important to simply be allowed to die. Politicians of both parties will bail them out with taxpayer money over and over again.

Reactions: Zero CO2
Did you come up with that yourself? I think it would be a great name. GM should change it to "Boltium".

As a Bolt owner, I can tell you this is spot on. 55kW is way too slow for many to tolerate on a road trip. Give it a 150kW max and a NACS port. Then you've got a great little low-cost EV. If they had the battery supply, GM could sell a gazillion of them.
Why are you talking about Botulism in this thread?

Oh, right. Carry on.

I have always stated real competition arrives summer of 2024 going forward. From that point on all of the automaker's " just you wait" EV vehicles will be coming en masse to dealers. EVs will not be a novelty just another powertrain option. That is when things get interesting,

1695940437826.jpeg

No Boo, just providing my own opinion. I don't live in your echo chamber or world.
No? You’re not trying to save us from ourselves and an echo chamber? Odd considering you literally just said I lived in one.

So here’s my opinion; tractor trailers full of chips and cola or even empty really have no business driving at the speed you suggested. 70 mph is already pushing it when we consider how often people cut big rigs off, pull out in front of them, pass too close, slam their brakes on in front of one, can be blown off the road by high winds, tip if taking tight turns too fast etc., etc.,

There are a number of reasons many companies limit the speeds of their big rigs. I guarantee you’d reevaluate your 80mph opinion if you actually drove a tractor trailer more than a minute and had to jackknife it so as not to hit some bozo who just cut you off.

Mod: With this reply the subject is now closed. Also I'm trying to decide whether "Boo" was meant to be offensive or not. A reminder for all that attacks on other members get bans imposed. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. The big 3 may be in for bankruptcy and humiliation but they are too big and politically important to simply be allowed to die. Politicians of both parties will bail them out with taxpayer money over and over again.
People keep saying this. It won’t happen like that because eventually in the not too distant future nobody will be buying diddly squat from the OEMs.

Yeah, sure. There will be some propping up for a time, but in the end if a business can’t sell product and make money then the green fountain will stop flowing. People with money and power like having money and power. You can’t get money and power from a failing business forever.

I figure a few OEMs are going to instantaneously implode and be gone overnight while the others shrink into niche companies or into oblivion.

I actually hope the UAW gets what it wants for its members; that’ll just speed up the story to the end. And no, I’m not even a little concerned about the UAW getting into Tesla. If it does; then the people working there are too dumb to be part of saving humanity.

Last edited:
How about this Pepsi, start at San Antonio and drive 70-75 mph to Dallas on I-35 and see what the battery usage is? Pepsi could even take 130 around Austin do a photo op past the Tesla factory heading north. The South wind would even be beneficial. Or San Antonio to El Paso on I-10 where its posted 80 mph.

I fear these trucks will be like the 65 mph governed JB Hunts and Schnieders. Moving Chicanes or road blocks on the interstate.
Of course they will be. Trucking is a commercial activity that is done in the cheapest way possible. If driving 40 mph made commercial or legal sense, they would do that, whether it was an ICE or EV. So any EV semi will be driven at an economical speed that balances cost/range/driver salary time, just like an ICE semi does.

No? You’re not trying to save us from ourselves and an echo chamber? Odd considering you literally just said I lived in one.

So here’s my opinion; tractor trailers full of chips and cola or even empty really have no business driving at the speed you suggested. 70 mph is already pushing it when we consider how often people cut big rigs off, pull out in front of them, pass too close, slam their brakes on in front of one, can be blown off the road by high winds, tip if taking tight turns too fast etc., etc.,

There are a number of reasons many companies limit the speeds of their big rigs. I guarantee you’d reevaluate your 80mph opinion if you actually drove a tractor trailer more than a minute and had to jackknife it so as not to hit some bozo who just cut you off.

Mod: With this reply the subject is now closed. Also I'm trying to decide whether "Boo" was meant to be offensive or not. A reminder for all that attacks on other members get bans imposed. --ggr
Mod............Google "Boo urban dictionary"....................

Please don't delete this. This comment is right. As an investor, I don't care what Elon thinks about the border patrol, I want his ass in the factories like he used to be.

When the hell did he become a politician?

Is Elon really that bored with Tesla and SpaceX now!?!
Yep. I consider it a good sign, actually. Elon gravitates to disasters. This means, it really does, that all parts of Tesla are running well.