Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems a LOT of new M3 have been loaded onto ships in the final weeks of September, likewise new M3 has been stockpiling in Shanghai, waiting for permission to sell them

Q4 is going to be >500k I think, I can feel it in my waters...
Seems there are 9 ships currently sailing:

1696327657463.png

For any chemical reactions, the total mass of reactants and products differ by mass given in E=mc^2, where E is the energy released or absorbed into the system during the reactions, and mass is the delta of the total mass of products less that of reactants.

The energy stored/released in forming/breaking chemical bonds is indeed reflected in the mass differences of products and reactants.

Consider a 75 kWh battery that is completely self contained (i.e. does not release or absorb things from surroundings),
such battery when fully charged would weight about 10^-9 kg more than when its fully discharged.

Energy and mass are conserved in a chemical reaction. Those are fundamental laws. Those laws are immutable until you get into the realm of nuclear reactions

Whether or not, battery mass increases Is a separate question.

Seems the move to split Ford into "Model E" and "Ford Blue" may yet be their salvation: Stranded ICE assets all moved to legacy company, along with UAW contracts and pension obligations. Good for Ford in the long run; so long as you understand their pension liability will move to the Federal Gov't (ie: taxpayers) when Ford Blew "blows"...
Also explains why Ford is pushing back with regard to the vehicle electrification plants (battery, etc.)...they are trying not to let the UAW get their foot in the door there. The UAW, of course, knows this and that's why they are pushing on that front. Can you imagine the discussions happening at the executive levels at Ford? I mean stuff like "The ICE business is going to collapse. We need to find a way to ABANDON it and not be saddled with all the debt and old contracts if we are to SURVIVE. It's the only way.". It seems fantastical when I type it, but why else segregate the business and show the dirty laundry of their EV losses? So many here and elsewhere have labeled this a hyper bull scenario, and even now I find it difficult to believe, but....

Ah, so the trailer weighs more than the estimates I saw online for a semi flatbed. So the Tesla Semi is still within the range of what a Diesel Semi Day acab weight, just at the higher wnd of that range... of course it's not carrying fuel also.

U.S. Federal Transport regulations allow a maximum combined weight of 82,000 lbs for electric semi trucks (tractor + trailer + payload), whereas the max allowed weight for diesel trucks is 80,000 lbs. That extra ton of gross weight will all go to batteries (at 0.2KWh/Kg, that's ~200KWh of extra batteries)

U.S. Federal Transport regulations allow a maximum combined weight of 82,000 lbs for electric semi trucks (tractor + trailer + payload), whereas the max allowed weight for diesel trucks is 80,000 lbs. That extra ton of gross weight will all go to batteries (at 0.2KWh/Kg, that's ~200KWh of extra batteries)
Yeah. I'm surprised truck manufacturers or the TSLAQ crowd hasn't made a fuss about that: "See! Electric semis are getting preferential treatment all the while their heavier trucks tear up our roads!"

• Funny
Reactions: keydiver
Can you explain this part? How does the manufacturer take off the $7,500 if it's a tax credit? Doesn't that depend on what your tax return looks like? (which you file the following year)

I seem to recall some aspect of the IRA where in 2024 the $7,500 becomes an actual rebate at purchase, rather than continuing as a tax rebate.

I seem to recall some aspect of the IRA where in 2024 the $7,500 becomes an actual rebate at purchase, rather than continuing as a tax rebate.
It turns into a point of sale rebate, that is just a time shifted version of the current non-refundable tax credit. One still needs to qualify for it, lest they repay it at filing time.
2023:
Pay full price for car; pay $7,500 less in federal tax
2024:
Pay $7,500 less for car; pay normal federal tax

It turns into a point of sale rebate, that is just a time shifted version of the current non-refundable tax credit. One still needs to qualify for it, lest they repay it at filing time.
2023:
2024:
This bears repeating.

I think people underestimate the impact of the point of sale rebate. The decision to buy becomes a lot easier when the government is handing you a free down payment. For many buyers, this makes the loan smaller and the all-important monthly payment smaller as well.

Tesla is going to sell a lot more cars because of this one little change.

I believe the consensus is that the new Model Y RWD is LFP from China, the same vehicle that was being shipped from China to Canada recently.

Side note that the new trim isn't currently on the IRS list of IRA eligible vehicles, the list contains the Model Y AWD but there's no RWD trim. But the Tesla website applies the $7500 credit, so maybe the IRS list just needs to be updated.

If it does qualify for the IRA credit, I'd expect that to be cut off in 2024 as batteries containing any Chinese components are supposed to be disqualified from any credit. This trim might be sold for three months only, or something else might happen.

1696340714377.png

I believe the consensus is that the new Model Y RWD is LFP from China, the same vehicle that was being shipped from China to Canada recently.

Side note that the new trim isn't currently on the IRS list of IRA eligible vehicles, the list contains the Model Y AWD but there's no RWD trim. But the Tesla website applies the $7500 credit, so maybe the IRS list just needs to be updated.

If it does qualify for the IRA credit, I'd expect that to be cut off in 2024 as batteries containing any Chinese components are supposed to be disqualified from any credit. This trim might be sold for three months only, or something else might happen.

View attachment 979221
Yeah, the IRS list is populated by information provided by the manufacturers. If Tesla is showing the credit, it will appear on the IRS list soon.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
2023:
2024:
One item I'd like clarified. I assume if you buy a car for say $40K, you will pay sales tax on the full $40K and THEN get the $7500 off the final amount. In short, I am assuming it will NOT reduce the actual purchase price for SALES TAX purposes (much like the current tax rebate doesn't impact that at all). Does that sound correct? I bring it up as the sales tax on $7500 is about $470 here in Texas and other areas are probably similar.

Yeah, the IRS list is populated by information provided by the manufacturers. If Tesla is showing the credit, it will appear on the IRS list soon.
If it does qualify for $7500 then I'm surprised it ever came to Canada

Feels like a battery shipped straight over from Shanghai still qualifying kinda exemplifies how generously the IRA has been interpreted lol + why it is forecasted to massively exceed the original budget impact from the CBO

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7