Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is definitely an annoyance to most people (like lack of care for non FSD AP in Europe, speed sign recognition a big mess for a long time) but I think the decline is more due to macro/people reluctant to commit to any large spending
Probably you're correct, but..when overall decline in a given market happens, those most resilient pay attention to details that help overcome objections. Parking sensors were an example, particularly when many others do.
The Tesla ones, with displays of actual distances in tiny increments, were a huge advantage in narrow urban settings, especially ones prohibited to non-EV traffic. Were I buying in Europe they would be a deal-breaker for me, not for parking per se but for tight navigation.

Similarly any market should have really excellent navigation support for various alerts, with speed limits being crucial. FWIW that would be a deal breaker for me were I in Europe just because I drive often in Germany. Leaving a limit-free Autobahn for a limited area has cost me before, and does so for others also. I rather suspect the Netherlands, for example, is subsidized heavily be travelers from, say, Hamburg. My last one cost me €2200. That would have paid for decent speed limit recognition!

Both of these are small. Tesla should take better recognition of human driving needs. After all it's human drivers who buy most cars.

..and this is proof that self-regulation still remains the rule, that the SEC cannot effectively challenge.
Anyway, even if they had continuous direct reporting it would make no difference because the SEC will have neither the skills nor the technologies to do anything about it, nor even the will, much less the firm regulatory authorities.

The SEC has already (decades ago, in fact) ceded it's enforcement mandate to 'Market Participants'. That is to say, short sellers, who are supposed to exist because they go after pump'n'dump scams and other frauds (let's not even talk about SPACS though, right?)

So if we accept this underlying premise that the SEC is wholely unsuitable/unable to enforce its own rules (more importantly, is making up rules which benefit the bad actors), then it falls upon other Market Participants to take down the current crop of criminals (and I mean that in the larger sense, since they have both made up the rules and restricted access to information through Regulatory Capture and control of the Media and Courts).

How to beat them in the Market:
  1. superior data transmission speeds for HFT (I wonder who has access/control of a global laser satellite Comms network?)
  2. a big dog in the media fight (erm, bird)
  3. cutting-edge A.I. which could wreck havoc on the stock of preditory hedge-funds with Options Market Maker priviledges (ooh, the SEC is already worried about AI in the Market: GOOD).

Now who do we know that sits at the Nexus of all these converging requirements. Where is the opportunity? I leave this for others to speculate. I'll hodl my TSLA. ;)

X marks the Spot vise versa.jpg

P.S. if any readers don't know how how rotten the system is, catch up with this classic defrocking:

Illegal Naked Short Selling Appears to Lie at the Heart of an Extensive Stock Manipulation Scheme | Expert Financial Analysis and Reporting | Smith on Stocks | Larry Smith (2015-06-16)

Paging @winfield100 for the info contained on Fails-to-Deliver in the article above.

Cheers!

Interesting. Do we really think lack of functioning parking sensors would cause this much of an issue in Europe?

View attachment 982324
Unless you live, and drive in European cities on a daily basis, its very hard to appreciate what a big deal this is. I had the misfortune to have to drive to London today. Some scuffed wheels later, I am reminded yet again, that a Tesla model Y with NO parking sensors is a real liability in narrow London streets and tiny parking spaces.
I've visited the US a lot. Us drivers have NO IDEA how much space you have in your roads and parking spaces compared to Europe. Its not an evil FUD conspiracy that results in people constantly mentioning this. Its just a *different* road environment. Dropping parking sensors is one of the biggest own-goals in Tesla history. Dropping stalks will be the next one. Absolute madness. To save maybe £300 on £45,000 cars. At LEAST give European drivers an option to pay the £300 foir stalks+ sensors. Then Tesla will have data. Elon likes (and trusts) data...

Unless you live, and drive in European cities on a daily basis, its very hard to appreciate what a big deal this is. I had the misfortune to have to drive to London today. Some scuffed wheels later, I am reminded yet again, that a Tesla model Y with NO parking sensors is a real liability in narrow London streets and tiny parking spaces.
I've visited the US a lot. Us drivers have NO IDEA how much space you have in your roads and parking spaces compared to Europe. Its not an evil FUD conspiracy that results in people constantly mentioning this. Its just a *different* road environment. Dropping parking sensors is one of the biggest own-goals in Tesla history. Dropping stalks will be the next one. Absolute madness. To save maybe £300 on £45,000 cars. At LEAST give European drivers an option to pay the £300 foir stalks+ sensors. Then Tesla will have data. Elon likes (and trusts) data...
There will be 3rd party options for stalks for people that want them.

All non union automakers will feel the effect in this country when the UAW settles.
Unions set the precedent and then everyone else plays catch-up.

Particularly in periods like this with wild inflation, labour upheaval (seen already) and fresh pushes towards unionization (not seen yet) are pretty typical. Same thing happened in the '80s, a recession would push workers further towards this.

We took a friend for a test drive a couple weeks ago. Took them thru the whole charge process which he liked. Did a summons but explained it was only on older cars and no longer available on new cars. Did an auto park but explained that it’s also discontinued as there are also no longer parking sensors available. He asked me why and i didn’t really know. All we could think of was they are slowly getting rid of features to save money. Kind of wondering if dumbing down the sound system will be next. Save a few bucks in speakers etc.

Enjoying our 2022 Y right now but suspect that by 2026 the model Y will be a much simpler car with less features and range. They have already dropped the range as here in Canada we can only get Chinese cars with less range. But by 2026 most of the competition will have tesla supercharger access so there will be more to choose from. From a shareholders point of view I’m not sure I like that.

Jmho.

The SEC has already (decades ago, in fact) ceded it's enforcement mandate to 'Market Participants'. That is to say, short sellers, who are supposed to exist because they go after pump'n'dump scams and other frauds (let's not even talk about SPACS though, right?)

So if we accept this underlying premise that the SEC is wholely unsuitable/unable to enforce its own rules (more importantly, is making up rules which benefit the bad actors), then it falls upon other Market Participants to take down the current crop of criminals (and I mean that in the larger sense, since they have both made up the rules and restricted access to information through Regulatory Capture and control of the Media and Courts).

1. superior data transmission speeds for HFT (I wonder who has access/control of a global laser satellite Comms network?)
  3. cutting-edge A.I. which could wreck havoc on the stock of preditory hedge-funds with Options Market Maker priviledges (ooh, the SEC is already worried about AI in the Market: GOOD).

Now who do we know that sits at the Nexus of all these converging requirements. Where is the opportunity? I leave this for others to speculate. I'll hodl my TSLA. ;)

View attachment 982369
P.S. if any readers don't know how how rotten the system is, catch up with this classic defrocking:

Illegal Naked Short Selling Appears to Lie at the Heart of an Extensive Stock Manipulation Scheme | Expert Financial Analysis and Reporting | Smith on Stocks | Larry Smith (2015-06-16)

Paging @winfield100 for the info contained on Fails-to-Deliver in the article above.

Cheers!
This is a very accurate and complete description of what today's "market" really is. It's going to take several minor, and maybe one major, miracle for this to change. This fiasco is the reason why an individual's chance to making money can only happen through HODLing.
Edit: (referring to this: Illegal Naked Short Selling Appears to Lie at the Heart of an Extensive Stock Manipulation Scheme | Expert Financial Analysis and Reporting | Smith on Stocks | Larry Smith (2015-06-16))

Q - at what percentage of quarterly revenue does Tesla Energy have to be in order to be appropriately recognized in the valuation of TSLA as a growth part of the business, where as Tesla team has stated, could be 50% / 50% in the future between automotive / energy in terms of revenue recognition?

Q2 / 2022: ~5%
Q2 / 2023: ~7%

It's ~2x'd between Q3/2022 to Q3/2023, but I'm wondering where all those batteries went over the last month or two while factories were being retooled...like towards Tesla Energy backlog or stored in inventory towards Highland sales.

Picked up my new X today.

From an investment perspective: The X had zero issues, and wow Tesla quality has come a long way since I picked up my 2014 S--the interior feel is excellent. Reports of panel gaps and quality issues are grossly exaggerated.
I just gave you a ❤️. Please post a picture and earn another one.

Great post on X on Elon’s answers to the most-voted questions on the ER on Say — I must say, spot on likely true that we’ll just get a bunch of waffling non-answers 😬

Here are the answers Elon will give us:

How many Cybertruck deliveries do you anticipate for 2024?

--> "For the Cybertruck deliveries in 2024, we're aiming to make significant progress. It's a unique vehicle and there's been a lot of interest. However, ramping up production is always a challenge, so while we're optimistic, I can't give a precise number right now."

When do you expect model 3 Highland to be available in US?
--> "The Model 3 Highland is something we're excited about. We're working hard to get it to the US market as soon as possible. It's always about getting the details right to ensure quality. Bear with us as we finalize the timeline."

Can you provide a progress update on the 4680 Cell? Particularly progress towards performance improvements and cost savings outlined on battery day.
--> "The 4680 Cell is a significant advancement for us. We're seeing good progress on performance improvements and cost efficiencies. Remember, it's not just about the cell, but about integrating it into our vehicles and ensuring longevity and safety. We're on track with what we've presented on battery day."

Could you please provide an update on (i) capacity expansion plans for the company's factories in Berlin and Austin and (ii) the opening schedule of Gigafactory Mexico?
--> "Berlin and Austin are both moving at a good pace. We're pushing the boundaries in both locations. As for Gigafactory Mexico, we're in the early stages, but we're excited about the potential there. We'll keep everyone updated as things progress."

Why was the price dropped on FSD if it is getting better and robotaxi is expected so soon?
--> "Improving technology and scaling often allows for cost reductions. The price drop for FSD is reflective of our commitment to make autonomous driving more accessible. The goal is to get as many people as possible using it safely."

Mercedes is accepting legal liability for when its Level 3 autonomous driving system, Drive Pilot, is active. Is Tesla planning to accept legal liability for FSD, and if so, when?
--> "Safety is our top priority with FSD. We're constantly refining and improving the system. As for liability, we believe in our product, but we'll have to see how regulations evolve and make decisions accordingly."

Current sell side consensus assumes that Tesla will deliver ~2.3 million vehicles in 2024, representing 28% growth vs. 2023 guidance. Is this growth rate achievable without any mass-market launches in 2024, and when does Tesla expect to return to its 50% long-term CAGR?
--> "We're always pushing the envelope, and while I won't confirm or deny that specific number, we're confident in our growth trajectory. As for the 50% CAGR, it's a goal, but there are many variables in play. We'll keep driving innovation and pushing boundaries."

(Credit: @QnenAlex)
https://x.com/qnenalex/status/1713670968319647937?s=46&t=h4O4UMPqHcbEi-gvTZklCw

We took a friend for a test drive a couple weeks ago. Took them thru the whole charge process which he liked. Did a summons but explained it was only on older cars and no longer available on new cars. Did an auto park but explained that it’s also discontinued as there are also no longer parking sensors available. He asked me why and i didn’t really know. All we could think of was they are slowly getting rid of features to save money. Kind of wondering if dumbing down the sound system will be next. Save a few bucks in speakers etc.

Enjoying our 2022 Y right now but suspect that by 2026 the model Y will be a much simpler car with less features and range. They have already dropped the range as here in Canada we can only get Chinese cars with less range. But by 2026 most of the competition will have tesla supercharger access so there will be more to choose from. From a shareholders point of view I’m not sure I like that.

Jmho.
Price is very important, if necessary and required features can be brought back in future or can become an after-market/purchase option.

I will not be surprised of indicator stalks at least become an option at sometime if the future, the alterative is the FSD software mostly activates the indicators correctly, especially when exiting roundabouts.

Ultrasonics can have blind spots, especially for some parking manoeuvres, Tesla is hoping that cameras and software can remove the need to ultrasonics. Should they get that wrong, they can always bring them back in future.

if a competitor car has more features , it probably has a higher price, but a Tesla can also be optioned up to include some of those features.

Range is also something that can change overtime..

Removing features is IMO more about reducing the time to make the car allowing the factory to make more cars on the same line. So if stalks become a "after-market' addition, I bet they are added at the service/delivery centre and not in the factory.

Last edited:

Jmho.
Autopark and Summons are not discontinued. They are just waiting on a future release.

View attachment 982369

Cheers!
@Artful Dodger
-----------snip---------
Fails Data Availability:
  • The first half of a given month is available at the end of the month.
  • The second half of a given month is available at about the 15th of the next month
  • ------snip---------------So, 2nd half should be available tomorrow

meanwhile heres thru 9/15. Linear regression line looks like they are not fooling with it as much as used to
will d/l & parse data tomorrow or so and publish here (the data goes back to 2010 so i have to adjust for splits and guess at number of shares outstanding so columns and graph with $ is a tiny bit squishy goes back to last 3:1 split. looks like since March 2023 things have been quiet(er) tho something may be percolating since mid-late august but its all eyeball "looksee"
anyhoo here goes nothing
1697415700614.png