Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The harsh reality of former CEO Diess’ predictions at VW is coming true.

Drastic times for VW, sad that many folks still don't see this coming - like that train mentioned. Is this a sneak preview for the US as well?

I wonder if that's what the Big 3 are doing now with their layoffs during this strike? Partially to look like they're pushing back while actually preparing for the downturn in sales so Earnings are spared is my thought. The potential for new pensions and more job security could accelerate the layoffs - cheaper to downsize before renewals? The EV transition is happening people... and nobody believed us!

Is TSLA falling because of the price of oil going up? (Due to Israel issue)
I doubt it. (Edit: Maybe, but with everyone thinking the stock could dump ("using" the declining sales in Q3 story), nobody wants to be the last one out to shut off the light, this week (ARK) and today.)
Earning negative news is primed, even ARK sold nearly everyday the past 4 in a row.

I did not sell (since last week anyway). Maybe pick up a few more shares on the dip. I feel like this is the last of the "bad" news and looking very green from then on. Not advice!

Last edited:
We're here! Anyone in a buying mood? Risky, but fun!

1697644964341.png

I doubt it is related but there was a post on X yesterday that indicates another cybertruck delay. Not sharing details here as we should know the truth of it in the call this afternoon.
You're gonna make us all look it up?

Edit-->

Tesla told drones operators not to fly over the crash test vehicles. The speculation is that something is possibly wrong with CyberTruck safety or castings? I doubt that is the case.

Last edited:
AFAIK there has been no noticeable pause in cybertruck test production since we first starting seeing them?
That indicates to me no major snags. If something just wasn't working, I would imagine a pause while tesla fixes the issue, but there has been none. I think this bodes well. It may be that Tesla are just being super cautious, given the attention on cybertruck and the importance of first impressions. I still think that things are going ok, and that there will be a delivery announcement soon.
Wall st almost always gets things wrong. A sell-off on results day is almost a contra indicator :D.

No, they wouldn’t. I have YouTube premium, so I see zero ads on YouTube even in my car since I can log into my account.

Edit, on a side note, it would be nice to be able to at least play YouTube audio while driving since I often just listen to various channels.
Um, yes they would (in other cases). I have a TuneIn account and only half the time hear "Something you may have missed" instead of ads for TuneIn, when listening to CNN for example.

I think we're nit-picking here and missing the streaming service revenue. Just like with where Superchargers are placed and who pays*, the increasing volume Teslas provide to YouTube, TuneIn, NetFlix and others - whether paying customers or not - is worth something to Google, NetFlix and the like. Those providers gain customers by making their apps available in Tesla (I wouldn't pay for a TuneIn account otherwise), and who are we to ignore what that compensation may be to Tesla? Maybe they get compensation via AT&T or maybe directly from the providers (to your point, @jerry33 ) - who knows? We're guessing here. I suspect Tesla is making "some" profit from the streaming services over and above the cost for connectivity, but I don't think we can say for sure. And we also can't ignore that Tesla's unparalleled infotainment may be a compelling reason a minority buy a Tesla vs. another car - it all counts.

We all know features Tesla has removed because their data indicates it wasn't valuable enough (e.g. passenger lumbar). They continue to add infotainment features (gaming, Apple+, more speakers) and nobody would suggest they're doing this without data to back up how valuable it contributes to the bottom line.

* Does Tesla pay to have a Supercharger in this parking lot vs. that parking lot, or does the mall pay to gain regular, wealthy patrons with nothing to do for half an hour?

Last edited:
Normally... day of earnings... we're flat or go up slightly then sell off during/after earnings (it's a hunch, unverified).
In contrast, today I think the market is looking for ways to push down Tesla ahead of earnings bc they know something...

Then I saw this...

Wall st almost always gets things wrong. A sell-off on results day is almost a contra indicator :D.

Reactions: GOVA
Normally... day of earnings... we're flat or go up slightly then sell off during/after earnings (it's a hunch, unverified).
In contrast, today I think the market is looking for ways to push down Tesla ahead of earnings bc they know something...

Then I saw this...

Meh, most of the market is very red today, I think TSLA is just moving down with the majority of the market.

Um, yes they would (in other cases). I have a TuneIn account and only half the time hear "Something you may have missed" instead of ads for TuneIn, when listening to CNN for example.

I think we're nit-picking here and missing the streaming service revenue. Just like with where Superchargers are placed and who pays*, the increasing volume Teslas provide to YouTube, TuneIn, NetFlix and others - whether paying customers or not - is worth something to Google, NetFlix and the like. Those providers gain customers by making their apps available in Tesla (I wouldn't pay for a TuneIn account otherwise), and who are we to ignore what that compensation may be to Tesla? Maybe they get compensation via AT&T or maybe directly from the providers (to your point, @jerry33 ) - who knows? We're guessing here. I suspect Tesla is making "some" profit from the streaming services over and above the cost for connectivity, but I don't think we can say for sure. And we also can't ignore that Tesla's unparalleled infotainment may be a compelling reason a minority buy a Tesla vs. another car - it all counts.

We all know features Tesla has removed because their data indicates it wasn't valuable enough (e.g. passenger lumbar). They continue to add infotainment features (gaming, Apple+, more speakers) and nobody would suggest they're doing this without data to back up how valuable it contributes to the bottom line.

* Does Tesla pay to have a Supercharger in this parking lot vs. that parking lot, or does the mall pay to gain regular, wealthy patrons with nothing to do for half an hour?
Not guessing. Streaming providers pay for placements. They pay for clicks and pay for sales. This a rep[eat fp an easier longer post. Every major entity does that. TuneIn, Netflix, Tidal etc all pay to be on the Tesla list as they do for any other place. Apple is paid for every app, so is Tesla and every other OEM. This stuff has been developing since 1993. That is how every part of this industry works. Most everything is published in the trade Press, even ADAge has much of it. The precise pricing is the stuff of serious negotiations. Tesla si one fo the most savvy marketers in the business. They're giving away nothing! Of course, none of this is disclosed because the value is dwarfed by physical product sales.

Last edited:

Well not of the day of Q2 Earnings (July 19, 2023) Bares exposed themselves early (well before the Earnings Letter was released after-hrs)

TSLA.2023-07-19.14-51.Lo2.png

And here's the QQQ for the same day so you can tell what's up:

QQQ.2023-07-19.19-59.png

As you can see, QQQ recovered into the Close, while TSLA was capped.

Meh, most of the market is very red today, I think TSLA is just moving down with the majority of the market.
Lucid down almost 9% - warranted
Rivian down almost 7% - still trying to convince people the bond offering wasn’t about needing more money
Tesla down 4% - options market grabbing profit on a broad market down day AND positioning before ER today to grab more profit tomorrow should Tesla gross margins be lower, the same, or higher than last quarter because that’s the most important thing about the company’s financials. 🙄

Stockholm created an environmental zone class 3 for 20 blocks - no diesel or gas vehicles allowed.

"The area bordered by four streets in Stockholm’s center, which cover roughly 20 blocks, will become a so-called environmental zone class 3, according to a report by SVT, a national news outlet in Sweden. That zone classification means no diesel or gas vehicles will be permitted to drive within it."

This could accelerate the EV transition, mid-tail end. When I'm in a parking lot, I tend to hold my breath, a lot. I didn't used to do this when I drove ICE (and never used to mind bar smoke until I quite that as well. Oh, that Florida bar recently... gag me with a spoon! And my clothes really stunk!

The stuff we realize after we quit... sheesh! Now about that sugar... at least it is sweet (vs sweet crude oil).

Nice to see this, although a little surprised. I was in Stockholm this July and I can't say I saw as many EV's as I would have expected, and as my next stop was Oslo, this was a stark contract. Copenhagen, buy comparison, had a hell of a lot more EV's, all brands, shapes and sizes, although the majority were Teslas

And in Cph, at least Fredericksburg, they not only have EV charge-point on pretty much every street, but EV reserved free-parking all over the place too