Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On "investing" vs "Trading."
It seems obvious to me or am I wrong?
I get labelled a "trader" if I can clearly see (And believed Elon a year ago when he said it was going to be a rough year ahead for TSLA stockholders) that the EV market is not going to be a place to have ANY money for at least a year. Not ANY EV company. Sure the Moneymakers/Market makers will be able to yank the stock whichever direction they can devise a scenario to take advantage of retail investors pathetic psyches, But the EV market is not a place to be investing in in the current economic climate...and political instability as well.

SO I bounced out most of my TSLA holdings. I am not trading. I am investing. I'd be a moron to firmly believe I should keep a stock I strongly feel will go down for an extended period of time. Especially when Elon is whispering in my ear. I still believe Tesla will be a powerhouse in some of the largest sectors of the market. But I am not going to let my money stay in the stock if I can see/feel that the next year will suck.
I said that exact thing when I had most of my money in Apple. Sold out waiting for a better entry. Then Apple came up with a "stupid" idea about making phones which were very expensive. Who would pay $400 for a phone. I said I would not make the same mistake again.

the walking dead companies get rid of all but their most profitable products (ICE pickups/SUVs) enter CT then they eventually go bankrupt
I'm with you on that Cybertruck role. It was a huge statement: We are coming for your last profitable niche. Get on the wagon or get run over by it.
(I realize that is not 100% true: CT does not cover all uses of pickups, but it covers enough to cause some quaking in boots, one hopes)

Interesting. Could this all go 3rd party with Tesla selling the equipment.

Elon said they were targeting 10% net but I have my doubts they were actually achieving this. Maybe decided to give up because unless you want to go in to the convenience store business it is probably difficult to make money.

On "investing" vs "Trading."
It seems obvious to me or am I wrong?
I get labelled a "trader" if I can clearly see (And believed Elon a year ago when he said it was going to be a rough year ahead for TSLA stockholders) that the EV market is not going to be a place to have ANY money for at least a year. Not ANY EV company. Sure the Moneymakers/Market makers will be able to yank the stock whichever direction they can devise a scenario to take advantage of retail investors pathetic psyches, But the EV market is not a place to be investing in in the current economic climate...and political instability as well.

SO I bounced out most of my TSLA holdings. I am not trading. I am investing. I'd be a moron to firmly believe I should keep a stock I strongly feel will go down for an extended period of time. Especially when Elon is whispering in my ear. I still believe Tesla will be a powerhouse in some of the largest sectors of the market. But I am not going to let my money stay in the stock if I can see/feel that the next year will suck.

But that's trading, not long term investing. You are attempting to time the market, and if it works then great for you. Long term investing is holding a stock through the dips and climbs, buying more when it dips rather than selling out before the potential dips.

How many expected 2019 to be a bad year for TSLA and sold ahead of it, only to see the stock skyrocket at year's end?

I feel this is needed yet again:

Qr9ls66.jpg

Elon said they were targeting 10% net but I have my doubts they were actually achieving this. Maybe decided to give up because unless you want to go in to the convenience store business it is probably difficult to make money.

If it were any entity other than an oil company...

Talk about a fast way to poison the well of Supercharging if their intentions weren't sincere?

Elon - "Sorry, I don't have time to take that call right now."

I think BP may have misinterpreted what the "recent announcement" meant, as some here seem to have as well.

Last edited:

BP news came out Oct last year

As an investor since at least 2015, I have to agree with the posts on trading vs investing.
I've seen enough awesome tesla news that fails to move the stock AND enough random inconsequential nonsense that catapults it into the skies...to know that I cannot predict the monthly moves of the SP. I think I CAN predict the long term direction of the stock.
We have all spent a VERY long time discussing FSD and Robotaxis, until we have done very micro topic around it to absolute death. Its actually starting to happen RIGHT NOW with V12, and people are wondering why they should hold the stock?

I think Q2 will be better than expected, due to CT ramp, megapack ramp, FSD subscriptions, and a lack of crazy stuff like terrorism and houthi stuff. Tesla only needs one decent quarter for the talking heads to suddenly spin on a sixpence and start writing the exact opposite view.

Also you NEVER know whats imminent. Will Elon announce a multi billion dollar agreement with BYD to license FSD in the next 10 minutes? I doubt it, but I cannot rule it out either. Ditto FSD release in China, Ditto share buyback, Ditto Indian factory.

The headline makes it seem like they’re buying Tesla’s sites, which might make one infer that Tesla is getting out of the Supercharging business. But they’re actually just looking to buy the hardware and open their own sites.

Who cares if they’re an oil company, how else are they going to transition? More chargers for drivers, more revenue for Tesla.

BP news came out Oct last year

This story was about BP installing new Tesla sites at their gas stations, branded as BP chargers. They and Ford each purchased Tesla equipment (and service contracts?) for re-branding around the same time.

The current story might be about BP being interested in buying the existing Supercharger network from Tesla.

Some more detail below. This might explain why they got rid of the supercharger team - they are going to farm it all out to third parties. Maybe more companies than BP are interested in doing this. Interesting that they also want to hire the people that were let go.

BP Plc’s electric vehicle charging arm is eager to snap up Tesla Inc.supercharging sites across the US — along with the workers behind them — and has pledged $1 billion to expand its network.

BP “is aggressively looking to acquire real estate to scale our network, which is a heightened focus following the recent Tesla announcement.” It plans to spend $1 billion by 2030, half of it within the next two to three years to install over 3,000 charging points across the US. A key part of the strategy is building large-scale hubs with 12 or more chargers that it calls Gigahubs.

“If there are stranded real estate partners who are looking for someone to call, they should feel free to pick up the phone and call me or look me up on LinkedIn,” Sujay Sharma, chief executive officer of bp pulse Americas, said in an interview with Bloomberg.

Last edited:
But that's trading, not long term investing. You are attempting to time the market, and if it works then great for you. Long term investing is holding a stock through the dips and climbs, buying more when it dips rather than selling out before the potential dips.

How many expected 2019 to be a bad year for TSLA and sold ahead of it, only to see the stock skyrocket at year's end?

I feel this is needed yet again:

Qr9ls66.jpg

I've said this before and I'll say it again. This was all true, but in 2019, Tesla was worth as low as $13-$23 a share and maybe a $10 billion market cap? We are at $172/share and $540 billion market cap now. Even executing on everything and it's massively profitable, what's a realistic upside from here?

HODL's up 50x back then can't expect 50x now. The risk/reward (high risk back then, very high rewards) is much lower now (IMO) as 50x from here is looking at a company worth $27 trillion.

Don't know, my accounts are supposed to be moved this week. Fortunately, I have already voted because I understand it's a nightmare to vote your shares at Schwab. I'm also wondering if my open orders will get moved (I assume not, but who knows). Allowing this buyout was a great disservice to consumers, reduces competition. I suppose it fits the FEDs goal of creating unemployment.
Just one datapoint here as a Schwab customer. No trouble voting my shares. I did not transfer from anywhere else, if that matters.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Some more detail...

BP “is aggressively looking to acquire real estate to scale our network, which is a heightened focus following the recent Tesla announcement.” It plans to spend $1 billion by 2030, half of it within the next two to three years to install over 3,000 charging points across the US. A key part of the strategy is building large-scale hubs with 12 or more chargers that it calls Gigahubs.“If there are stranded real estate partners who are looking for someone to call, they should feel free to pick up the phone and call me or look me up on LinkedIn,” Sujay Sharma, chief executive officer of bp pulse Americas, said in an interview with Bloomberg.

Ah, it is a call out to take over sites that were in the planning stages, leaving someone in a pickle with the lost communications with Tesla while they sort things out.

If BP is aggressively transitioning to electrification there may actually be hope for them as a business that will survive the disruption.

Kudos to them, if so.

This might be what I've heard referred to as a bullish indicator. Imagine the effect if other oil companies began wanting to build out electrification?

If only there were a company that knows how to scale manufacturing efficiently and another to build a payment infrastructure and another offering service contracts?

Man, those companies would be in the catbird seat, wouldn't they?

Last edited:
The danger is if Tesla sells the SC then it becomes like every other automaker. Unless the rumors are true Tesla is pivoting to a RT and energy storage company. Shanghai, Austin, Fremont and Berlin may be on the block in a decade.

I don't think they would sell the entire business, they would license the technology to companies that want to build the EV equivalent of gas station/mini mart/restaurant. I think it would be great if third party supercharger sites started popping up that have food, restrooms, squeegees, etc. It might be a bit more expensive since the third party and Tesla would get a cut of the electricity, but the convenience would be great.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. This was all true, but in 2019, Tesla was worth as low as $13-$23 a share and maybe a $10 billion market cap? We are at $172/share and $540 billion market cap now. Even executing on everything and it's massively profitable, what's a realistic upside from here?

HODL's up 50x back then can't expect 50x now. The risk/reward (high risk back then, very high rewards) is much lower now (IMO) as 50x from here is looking at a company worth $27 trillion.

Not a bad post, till it turned sour there at the end.

Keep in mind that investors weren't expecting the 50X last time either, were they? 🤔

Don't sunworry, be sunhappy! Come on, sing along, let's lift those spirits up, up, up! :cool:

Reactions: Baumisch