Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At first glance, this sounds true, but if you step back and think about how in most heavy city/traffic environments, parking is not cheap so driving to a paid garage to park is not cost effective. In non-city environments, this can work in some a strip mall, but I doubt mall owners would allow this if they see hundreds of empty Tesla's in their parking lot.

Think SF or NY where parking can run a few hundred a month. No RT is going to pay $20+ to park waiting for the next ride. You can drive around or leave the city limits, but that's a waste of energy.
My thinking - but granted I am definitely not an expert on this - is that expensive parking in city centers could disappear altogether.

In my city, Stockholm, it is very expensive to park in the middle of the city but already a ten minute drive would take you to areas where parking is much cheaper. So if you accept to wait for your ride 10 mins, there would be no need to have any city garages anymore. I also figured that a fleet of Robotaxis should be able to optimise their use in a way that enough of them could circle around to cover the expected city ride needs at any given point, whereas the rest could be safely parked outside the most dense areas.

But people more knowledgeable on this than me are welcome to correct my reasoning. If indeed correct, it would be very nice not have so many parked cars in the city. Again using my city as an example, every meter of every side of the street in the city has a car parked on it and every day there must be hundreds or thousands of kilometers driven just looking for parking spaces in the city.

EXACTLY. If some on here have not read his tweets/posts or have not seen the garbage he reposts, then you have no right to post that we are manipulated by the media. All of those Elon posts or retweets are his own. There is no manipulation. Let’s stop with this media bad crap. Sure, the media does not help Elon and we have A lot of “pile on”, but Elon is his worst own enemy. The guy can be brilliant and dumb at the same time.
Just stick to building excellent cars, working to develop great AI and autonomous vehicles, Optimus robots, neurolink, boring company, energy storage, etc, and quit tweeting garbage...and everyone will love Elon. Can’t get more simple than that.

Edit: @mrmage already stated The obvious better than I did.

Well, just because Elon (admittedly) posts some goofy/controversial stuff, doesn't mean the media isn't also manipulating public perception.

Heck it can be as simple as reporting the bad and not reporting the good. That selective reporting can itself be sufficient to manipulate public perception, but I think it's been pretty obvious there's been media slant above and beyond that.

Heck we've seen examples of posts here form Shadowy&Turbulent posters here with an apparent agenda that demonstrate such non-biased selectivity....

But the demand for a humanoid robot priced at ~$20k is...also going to be 1bn units/year?
It depends on how capable the bots actually are, but demand of 1bn units/year is easily doable.

Just think how many people are doing manual labor all over the world on any given day. They can all be replaced by a bot.

Plus, with a bot being lower in cost per hour than a human, it will make sense to deploy even more of them than we have for those human jobs today. In other words, it makes new work economically feasible. So you need more bots than those who just replace humans.

That's because he reaches to find the negative in any and everything. He reaches so hard it stretches to the point of breaking, which, like above, happens to him regularly.

I don't have anyone on ignore as I like to read all points of view here, even the ones I disagree with, but I no longer respond to D&S posts, heck I won't even like, dislike, or even post a laughing face on them. I simply ignore them because the majority of his posts are honestly worthless, they aren't contributing anything useful. He only posts one extreme side without ever acknowledging or even discussing the other side. Such a narrow focus is far too limiting to be helpful in my opinion.

Man, he brews a nice cup of dark roast though....

I think I'm gonna try order a Dark & Stormy at Starbucks...

Well, just because Elon (admittedly) posts some goofy/controversial stuff, doesn't mean the media isn't also manipulating public perception.

Heck it can be as simple as reporting the bad and not reporting the good. That selective reporting can itself be sufficient to manipulate public perception, but I think it's been pretty obvious there's been media slant above and beyond that.

Heck we've seen examples of posts here form Shadowy&Turbulent posters here with an apparent agenda that demonstrate such non-biased selectivity....

How bad would the disinformation be for renewable and electric vehicles if Elon Musk wasn't getting involved and keeping quiet?

The "incumbents" in the auto + oil & gas sector have been killing the electric car for centuries through all sorts of means:

Now that climate change is ever present a century and half later, would the incumbents have let EVs and Renewable technology take over their business ecosystem easily even though its what's best for humanity? or would it have let humanity completely fall apart and find another (not maximized for saving lives) alternative that keeps their profits?

I love how battery tech and energy is moving forward. https://www.tdk.com/en/news_center/press/20240617_01.html

Too many breakthroughs are just "prototype click-bait".

The original post is click bait; another "lazy post" requiring us to do the work.
For instance, here is what I want to know. If I were doing this, I would include at least a snippet:

TDK’s technology is aimed at a solution that can be utilized in various wearable devices, such as wireless earphones, hearing aids and even smartwatches, with the goal of replacing existing coin cell batteries.

How bad would the disinformation be for renewable and electric vehicles if Elon Musk wasn't getting involved and keeping quiet?

The "incumbents" in the auto + oil & gas sector have been killing the electric car for centuries through all sorts of means:

Now that climate change is ever present a century and half later, would the incumbents have let EVs and Renewable technology take over their business ecosystem easily even though its what's best for humanity? or would it have let humanity completely fall apart and find another (not maximized for saving lives) alternative that keeps their profits?

Indeed... and given that Tesla/Elon have become "The Face of Electric Cars", it's easiest to achieve their goals/agenda by targeting him.

No doubt he's made their job easier at times, but there's little doubt the influence behind the scenes has paid for much media slant.

No longer appropriate for use in hunman clinical assessment, I am placated by saying "Darn, this stock is bi-polar".

(Addendum - Papafox posts that this Friday is a monthly options expiration, so don't go betting the farm that we are finally unwinding the spring this week.)

Last edited:
I would dare to say this will be a cancelled feature and it's much easier to reinforce the tires and suspension vs trying to avoid potholes. Avoiding potholes will just introduce more noise into the system like more phantom braking due to a dark shadow. Anything can look like a pothole (ie manhole covers). I would say skip this for the purpose of robotaxis and those with thin racing tires should just deal with disengaging.
I sure hope you're wrong about this.

Reactions: AnbaricBike
$TSLA (May delete later)
Going to 200 by Fri? Calls seems to suggest it show interest. We'll see.
Meanwhile... same-day sale. Got lucky again.

1718639379441.png

Edit comments... you ppl are no fun.

Last edited:
I would dare to say this will be a cancelled feature and it's much easier to reinforce the tires and suspension vs trying to avoid potholes. Avoiding potholes will just introduce more noise into the system like more phantom braking due to a dark shadow. Anything can look like a pothole (ie manhole covers). I would say skip this for the purpose of robotaxis and those with thin racing tires should just deal with disengaging.
If ATs can't identify potholes or manhole covers then it'd suck as much as a taxi driver that doesn't.

It's just another classification problem.
My thinking - but granted I am definitely not an expert on this - is that expensive parking in city centers could disappear altogether.

In my city, Stockholm, it is very expensive to park in the middle of the city but already a ten minute drive would take you to areas where parking is much cheaper. So if you accept to wait for your ride 10 mins, there would be no need to have any city garages anymore. I also figured that a fleet of Robotaxis should be able to optimise their use in a way that enough of them could circle around to cover the expected city ride needs at any given point, whereas the rest could be safely parked outside the most dense areas.

But people more knowledgeable on this than me are welcome to correct my reasoning. If indeed correct, it would be very nice not have so many parked cars in the city. Again using my city as an example, every meter of every side of the street in the city has a car parked on it and every day there must be hundreds or thousands of kilometers driven just looking for parking spaces in the city.

I think you'd want city garages or other parking where some of the ATs can park for hours during off-peak periods.

To me, AV fleet sizes are likely to be driven by the combination of rush-to-rush demand and commuter ride-sharing, leaving a lot of vehicles idle during off-peak periods. Good news for people who need a taxi outside office hours (especially during short peaks) but those vehicles will have to be somewhere.

One benefit of AV, of course, is that they could be parked extremely close together, reducing the amount of require parking space for idle vehicles.

Seems shortsighted to think robotaxis won't have a central garage they can retire to for charging, cleaning and staging. It will need to be a multilevel garage with heavy power access. In addition, I would expect municipalities to waive idle parking charges, within reason, for a fleet operation.
It is logical to presume that at some point, city cores will only be accessible to autonomous fleets and shipping vehicle fleets. This will be wonderful and make inner cities far more livable.

I just priced three Powerwalls to be added to existing solar and discovered the price has gone up $1,000/PW since last time I priced it, which wasn't more than a few months ago.
The new Powerwall 3 includes the solar inverter now. That would be my guess. I've been paying >$2000 for a decent string inverter lately, so it's actually a good deal for new installations. Of course, having 3 solar inverters probably won't do you much good though, especially if you're adding it to an existing system.