Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that I'm surprised gets only an aside mention here is that Maxwell eliminates the toxic solvent and thus improves the ecological impact of battery manufacturing. I get that other companies likely don't care, but I think that even if all else were equal Musk would want it for that alone.

Tesla figured out how to recycle the solvent and re-use it. They said the recycled solvent is more pure than the new solvent.

S/X news is a relief if true. If they are in fact building the cars and parking them in the factory lot until homologation is approved, it means they should have time to get them delivered by EOQ.

S/X will get delivery priority...they should be able to handle that in the 6 weeks remaining.

Agreed. While this is bad news, it's far less bad than the alternative-that they were having production issues and were not making Raven cars. Of course, there could also be prod issues, but with folks being scheduled for delivery next week it seems likely to me that this is mainly an admin holdup and the spice will flow shortly.

Certainly testing has to done and machines must be invented.. this is why Maxwell only appeals to Tesla. Tesla has the scale, has the manufacturing expertise with Ghromann and Perbix. And Tesla is not afraid to move quickly. Most importantly, Tesla has the demand, which drivers the scale.

Proof of concept was completed last year to the then unnamed “partner’s” aka Tesla’s satisfaction. They are now building the pilot line.

It is in this regard that I see Grohman + Maxwell as a deadly combination. Question is will they setup an own line in China (alongside other suppliers) for the GF3 or set one up in GF1?

IP protection will be key to this decision. But once Tesla acquires Maxwell, won’t the patents be available to use by other OEMs anyway?

admire Elon, but his predictions/timelines are useless, and have caused tremendous financial harm to believers like myself that trade based on what he says.

I sympathise with the sentiment expressed in the rest of the post. However, Elon did give fair warning to traders of the stock as opposed to truely long term investors (as an aside, I haven’t seen Tesla Bull Taylor Swift on twitter lately :p)

64EA1AE6-5F75-4C01-889B-59146F0F4250.jpeg

Solid state exists today, Dr Goodenough invented it and it works in the lab, its just not been mass produced yet. In part because its based on a glass like material. .....

I would disagree, Solid state exists today and is mass produced. And still freaking expensive.
There are multiple vendors selling solid state batteries.

Jeff Dahn has already shown that cobalt can be removed completely from the current NCA cells that Tesla uses. The DBE is just using more stable materials so that might in turn make some of the technologies more easy to implement. The material is much more stable because its more controlled throughout the entire manufacturing process. More stable temps, the material does not change from beginning to the end, its flexible and easy to work with and non-toxic. This means it wont react badly to future materials required for Solid State for example.
Simply put Maxwell tech does not solve the solid state problem. As you say solid state cells already exist, without Maxwell's technology. The issue with solid state is the slow ion transfer through the solid electrolyte, and cost.

Well, it was a hyperbole. Of course they sell some in their home market where MB S and BMW 7 are ultimate status symbols. Similarly in China.

Point is, markets outside of NA are relatively limited for large cars/SUVs, and Tesla already sells S/X in Europe and China. The rest of untapped markets aren't significant and rich enough to matter (much) for Model S/X demand, as opposed to what @neroden claimed.

Fundamentally I don't disagree, but because Tesla volumes are relatively small, so even with what you are calling "limited" sales it can move the needle for them on the top and bottom lines. If they had 150-200k demand for S and X that is small compared to mercedes+Volvo+BMW+++, but very good for Tesla.

Russia is a big market Mercedes Benz sells around 80 000 cars annually
So Russia is 80,000 out of 2,310,000 that MB sold.
That's 3.46% of MB volume.
I wouldn't think that's significant enough to bring as a counterpoint and call big market.
2018 Global: Mercedes-Benz Worldwide Sales - Car Sales Statistics

And the point about half of the Europe? The other half of the Europe can't afford Tesla in significant volumes*. Tesla is already present in majority of the markets where they can sell well or relatively well. The rest is long tail, there are sales to be harvested, but is juice worth the squeeze? Same for the rest of the world.

* perhaps it's not widely known how poor parts of Europe that are ex-communist states are. Primer: my brother is mid-class in Serbia and very proud that he was able to afford to buy used, only 12 years old VW Passat. His friend, medical doctor, has an almost new, only 8 years old Opel(GM) Astra. Only criminals and politicians can afford new cars.

Next US oil war is brewing in the Middle East. Wonder how that will affect the oil price. Hopefully oil will hit 100 bucks a barrel and gas will be 3 bucks a litre. . :).

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is another oil war in Venezuela brewing. I’m sure they will need some “liberating” soon.

Just sayin.
Wag the dog comes to mind.

Next US oil war is brewing in the Middle East. Wonder how that will affect the oil price. Hopefully oil will hit 100 bucks a barrel and gas will be 3 bucks a litre. . :).

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is another oil war in Venezuela brewing. I’m sure they will need some “liberating” soon.

Just sayin.

Oh yes, they are trying their hardest to start a war. But this time, Russia being antagonistic might prevent a war.

Reactions: gene and neroden

Just sayin.

With the trade deal kaput and Trump's base (farmers) feeling the pain of tariffs, the only thing left to drum up support is war. You might be right on this. Sadly.

With the trade deal kaput and Trump's base (farmers) feeling the pain of tariffs, the only thing left to drum up support is war. You might be right on this. Sadly.

Trump has collected an extra $40B in tariffs and proposed an extra $20B in farm subsidies to make farmers whole from loss of profits in trade war, in addition to the $1B that has already been paid out.

Sooooo, we are halfway thru the quarter. Any guesses on overall sold numbers? I know they are rockin in Canada...or at least orders. I would think between just Quebec and BC we are looking at 1000 a week. How’s things in the US. Have any arrived for this wave in Europe yet? If guidance is 90,000 are we halfway there? The 10,000 in transit from last quarter should be all delivered by now. Who has a crystal ball...or maybe just make a wild ass guess. :).