Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is everyone ganging up on WarpedOne?

Once again, Elon manages to drop the stock 10%+ by doing something completely avoidable. Funding Secured, smoking weed, declining SEC deal, announcing store closures then backtracking, and now this silly email.

These things are avoidable. We are allowed to criticize Elon for silly crap like this. These shenanigans cause institutions to sell shares. This is no way to run a public company. In the end it might all be fine, but why help fund the short sellers along the way?

And don’t say that we have to take the good with the bad. These shenanigans are completely, completely avoidable

Did you look at how many people watched that smoking weed video with Joe Rogan? 22 million.

Did you notice the like to dislike ratio? About 473k to 10k dislikes. Not too shabby.

Elon appeals to the younger generation. The people that will be buying Teslas in the future. People need to get over the weed “fiasco”. Yes it dropped the stock in the short term only to rebound while also getting LOADS of FREE advertising from the media. And I mean LOADS!!!!!!

Funding secured. There again, stock recovered just a few short months later. If people didn’t get out then, well.....who’s fault is that?

SEC, there again, SP recovered after the first time and even the judge thought the terms of the initial agreement were ridiculous.

The email could have been worded as simply as “please watch expenses” and the press would run with it as “Tesla still concerned about future bankruptcy even after recent equity raise”.

The backtracking on stores, yes....that was handled very poorly along with real quick price changes causing unnecessary anger from some customers. I’ll give you that.

Remember, it was only 6 months ago we were near ATH. It will be again. If people expect this to rise consistently, just look at the history. It doesn’t and there are many, MANY forces at work to suppress the stock. But if we can sell near ATH and buy near lows, could be making a killing right now. These cycles are almost a sign wave. It’s crazy but almost appears very predictable.

Last edited:
Week-end brainstorm :

''First They Ignore You, Then They Laugh at You, Then They Attack You, Then You Win''

I don't know who posted this quote first on the forum, but I have to say thanks. I thought about it last couple days/weeks. Tonight I decided to dig it a little and found this interesting website :

First They Ignore You, Then They Laugh at You, Then They Attack You, Then You Win – Quote Investigator

So It might have never been a Ghandi's quote, but anyways, I think there is nothing best describing Tesla at the moment.

''First they ignore you'' was the start of Tesla with the roadster. almost nobody was talking about them, it could have fallen and, by now, almost nobody would have remembered it. But it stood...

''Then they laugh at you'' was the 2012-2017 period. ''Model S can't be produced'' it was. '' Model S will never have a sustainable demand'' it got. ''Model X can't be produced with falcon wing doors'' it did, etc...

Side note here on the sustainable demand regarding last Q deliveries : I will not buy the argument that demand dropped. Short range option where taken out of the offer and delivery/production got reduced by the amount of precedent deliveries for the short range variant. I might reconsider this thinking if the 2 next quarters doesn't show sales picking up. Note that Q2 might shows bad numbers on S/X production/deliveries (it think it will be bad, just not Q1 bad) but that will be because of the transition to Raven. I will stand corrected only if Q3 shows bad numbers on S/X.

''Then they attack you'' This is where we are gents, the model 3 is no joke, it's there. The gigafactory edge is no joke, ask NIO or VW and even GM how are they doing on their battery supplies. The China Gigafactory is no joke, nobody dare to call it a potemkin village this time...

So they attack, because they got nothing else left.

And so the share price is down to 211$. so I will reiterate another quote from a great fighter :

'' Pain is anything, but temporary'' Hatsumi Masaaki.

So keep calm and charge on.

Have a nice week end guys.

Cheers

To those beating the drum on behalf of the advertising industry & click bait media, fresh off the press (pun intended):

Elon Musk on Twitter

I support this approach. Advertising, like Lidar, is a crutch. It is, as Chomsky famously said, manufacturing consent. I wish Boeing spent more money testing their planes instead of spending it on ABC Meet The Press, advertising planes that consumers can’t even buy!! I.e. it’s a bribe by another name.

And the subsequent tweet also looks promising.

“Maybe so eventually, but it will be information & entertainment, not trickery.”

Excellent to see Elon has an open mind about advertising.

Yeah most advertisements are manipulations, but ads do work.

It’s good to know future Tesla ads are going to be truthful and fun. It’s Elon style, just like the Model S stands for Sedan, Model X for Crossover, he likes calling things what they are.

Tesla ads don’t need anything fancy to be mesmerizing. The features and the fun speak for themselves.

Shareholder meeting is in June. Hopefully a few people there (instead of the usual "can you give me a job at Tesla while making the steering wheel vegan?" nonsense) make it clear that many shareholders are not happy with his communication and behavior over the last few years.
Shareholders will not be happy if SP stays this low through June. There will be people asking difficult questions, as they should be. This is how corporate governance is supposed to work. No one should be disagreeing with the statement that when the company is not doing well, management should be held accountable by the shareholders, who are actually the owners of the company.

As a bankruptcy lawyer, I can tell you that the consequence of a bankruptcy filing on current shareholders would likely be the very definition of worst case scenario. In almost all such cases, debt gets converted to equity in a newly formed entity and current equity gets wiped out.

Envision many different scenarios. Bankruptcy should not be one of them.
Elon has conquered all. In the unlikely event of bankruptcy, Elon would merely invent a new financial instrument - all shareholders receive new shares from the eventual buyer through an IOU. The buyer would be himself and allow TSLA to go private for $0.420 per share. OMG, is this why he is forcing the SP down?!

To be fair, someone has posted "I think we've found a bottom", nearly every day for the past three months :rolleyes:
Yup, people should keep their bedroom lives private and certainly away from this forum. Absolute filth.

Talking of filth, Karen hasn't posted in a week - curious that this coincided with Eurovision...
Her talent is wasted on stage IMO.

I read that whole CleanTechnica piece and I see not a shred of evidence that Reuters craps on Tesla because Tesla won’t advertise for Reuters.

Again my point is it is common on TMC to hear this theory that the reason so many media outlets trash Tesla in their reportage is because Tesla’s not an advertiser. But nobody here ever produces evidence. Sure, in 5 seconds of Googling you can find mainstream media pumping out misleading b.s. about Tesla. But none of it says “we’d treat Tesla different if they advertised in our publication.”

Hell, Reuters isn’t even a publication, it’s a newswire like AP. Does any company advertise on AP or Reuters? I don’t think so. So the reason their reporting on Tesla is often sloppy, misleading, biased, full of FUD, etc., must lie elsewhere, no?

tinm - You are a funny man !!

tinm - You are a funny man !!
Yep. @tinm, in the interest of full disclosure, apart from stand-up comedy, do you also happen to work in the advertising or click bait media industry?

Do you want us to believe that there is a Chinese wall between the reporters and their publishers? Is this similar to the Chinese wall between Adam Jonas and the merchant banking side of Morgan Stanley that was craving for fees from a capital raise?

In other words, do we look like Falcing morons to you?

I read that whole CleanTechnica piece and I see not a shred of evidence that Reuters craps on Tesla because Tesla won’t advertise for Reuters.

Again my point is it is common on TMC to hear this theory that the reason so many media outlets trash Tesla in their reportage is because Tesla’s not an advertiser. But nobody here ever produces evidence. Sure, in 5 seconds of Googling you can find mainstream media pumping out misleading b.s. about Tesla. But none of it says “we’d treat Tesla different if they advertised in our publication.”

Hell, Reuters isn’t even a publication, it’s a newswire like AP. Does any company advertise on AP or Reuters? I don’t think so. So the reason their reporting on Tesla is often sloppy, misleading, biased, full of FUD, etc., must lie elsewhere, no?

So you're arguing a strawman? The question is, what financial incentives do News agencies receive for deliberate distortions about Tesla? You want to investigate, then that's the story. It's undeniably occuring. The only unanswered question is why.

Advice: Follow the money. Same way "Citizens United" holds that money==speech. Here, they're just hiding behind the ruse of 1st Amendment "protected speech". Expecting somebody else to convince you is naive, especially since you appear to present entrenched beliefs: "This is what I see, and nobody can show me otherwise".

Shareholders will not be happy if SP stays this low through June. There will be people asking difficult questions, as they should be. This is how corporate governance is supposed to work. No one should be disagreeing with the statement that when the company is not doing well, management should be held accountable by the shareholders, who are actually the owners of the company.

The share price is controlled by the market. Management can only control the company.

But I believe demand less than it would be and might get worse because Tesla doesn't take PR seriously enough. Elon is essential to Tesla's success and also has shortcomings that are a major liability, and he is stretched thin. The best potential answer I see is more involvement by the board and additional key executives to share the load. IMO.

Demand could well be less than its potential if there wasn't this prolonged misinformation campaign. But Tesla this year only needs to sell less than half a million vehicles this year. There is plenty of demand to reach this target.

In future years when Tesla needs to sell millions of vehicles the misinformation campaign may be more detrimental to the performance of the business, however, luckily, there will be hundreds of thousands more cars on the road which will act as brand ambassadors. FUD is much less effective when you can go outside and have the narrative changed before your eyes. This is seen in California today where Tesla is immensely popular.

Even the bankruptcy claims will be more difficult as Tesla will be making a lot more money as volumes increase. Just the operating leverage at their factories will create big uplifts in margins as more vehicles are produced from each one. Then there is the rollout of the Maxwell tech which will significantly reduce the cost of the most expensive part of the vehicle.

Don't forget that the market is coming to Tesla. Environmental awareness is becoming a major political issue and regulation is slowly (quickly in Europe and China) pushing all vehicles electric. Big portions of the population have stated they are considering and EV for their next vehicle. In London today, you have to pay £21.50 in fees just to drive you polluting car in the centre of town. That's more than the cost of fuel. All around the world similar fees and levies are being considered to improve pollution in major cities. Moreover, Tesla is effectively being underwritten by its competitors - Chrysler will give them $2bn over the next few years for free - Tesla Doesn't have to do anything for it. It's pretty difficult to go broke when your competitors have to give you great big piles of money - I can't think of another time when that has happened.

Tesla owns the EV market, no other OEM has a hope in hell of getting enough batteries at a price comparable to Tesla to overtake them. Tesla also does more with their batteries than the other OEMs as can be seen with the range of a Tesla vs a etron which only gets about 50% of the range per KWh.

In short, Tesla is in a great position, but it can be difficult to keep the faith when we see production numbers stall below what we were told and the share price tanking.

I think that comes back to one of Elon's quotes: "The longer you wait to fire someone, the longer it has been since you should have fired them." It fits with how he runs the company, you don't wait for anything. For example you don't wait for a model year change to make an improvement. All things that drive people crazy, but he is what he is. If you don't like those things then you need to stay away from him/Tesla.

And I suspect a really good example will come up in the next 6-9 months when they do an interior/exterior refresh on the S&X. People will have a fit because they just bought a raven refresh version and he devalued their car. Why can't he just wait and make all of the changes at the same time... Because the longer you wait to make an improvement, the longer it has been since you should have made the improvement. :rolleyes:

He has said that he wants every car that they build to be the best one that they have ever built.

So matter when you buy a new one, you would have always bought the best one.

A large company with a huge dealer network could never do this.

Sorry, I still see no proof that publishers are singling out Tesla because Tesla won’t advertise in their publication or on their channel. Do you have any?
Agreed, Tesla gets a lot of clicks because people are interested in the company, so journalists make up the most clickbaity headlines possible to maximise clicks.

California is doing ok, but I track the CRVP rebate applications (extrinsically) and I still see a 20% decline over April here in May. Either buyers are wealthy and cannot apply, or don't know about it, or sales are good in certain areas of CA only (where gas prices are indeed higher). You don't buy a *NEW* car to save a bit on gas prices. Especially if noticing the SuperCharger per-kWh prices that would follow. Having an at-home tiered rate or an EV second meter is essential to beating gas prices in CA.

You don’t buy a new car to save a bit on gas?

Then why do BMW Mercedes and Audi try to save a bit on gas by shutting down its engine on every stop sign or traffic light, despite this process wearing down the $800 starter/ignition?

Why do car manufacturers bother to post the MPG on the window?

Why isn’t the Hummer as popular as it use to be when gas was $2.50

Why is electrifying cars and hybrids occurring?

How is the Model 3 the best selling mid size luxury sedan?

And yes, I bought this luxury sedan so I can drive happily to save on gas, as well as having the convenience of charging at home. I can list another 100 reasons why I bought the model 3 outside of the gas savings, but of course, I’m sure you already know what they are.

Even murder trials, one of the most rigorous legal procedures in existence, recognize two types of evidence: "direct evidence" and "circumstantial evidence":

Why do you insist on only accepting direct evidence, while excluding the large body of circumstantial evidence?

Is it also your argument that politicians accepting payments from lobbyists before voting in favor of their proposals requires "smoking gun" evidence before we can reasonably conclude that the process is corrupted?

Is it your argument that the billions of dollars spent on lobbying and the ten thousand professional lobbyists who are living in Washington DC have absolutely no effect on how politicians are acting, and the companies paying them are wasting billions of dollars, just because in 99.9% of the cases there's no evidence of influence buying and corruption, and because the politicians insist that they are absolutely impartial in their decision making process?

I.e. what is your basis to cut the business media so much slack, which:
  • receives FAR more direct payments from all automakers (except Tesla) than politicians,
  • has no legal requirement to be impartial and neutral,
  • has a siege mentality with dropping advertising revenues due to Internet advertising and social media,
... won't treat their major source of revenue with kid gloves, while being super critical of Tesla - which has the net effect of being biased against Tesla?

When was the last time you saw the business media accusing Volkswagen executives of being murderers and accessories to murder, who were engaged in a criminal conspiracy to gas people for profits, which characterization happens to be the inconvenient truth?

Have you perhaps instead read about this so-called "diesel cheating scandal", which phrasing is whitewashing the diesel fraud crimes and which is mischaracterizing the atrocity that killed thousands and harmed millions, as if it was only a love triangle?

Do you think that there might perhaps be a connection between that favorable treatment and the fact that the automotive industry is the #1 advertising revenue customer of the mass media?

Last edited: