Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

Artful Dodger

"Ducimus, lit"
Aug 9, 2018
Canada

Thumper

May 6, 2011
Portland, OR
I posted this in the TACC/Autopilot thread but it was the first post there since last year so I'll ad it here.
I just was looking at files that had been saved by
Sentinel mode and find that some files from my left front repeater are too corrupted to play at all and others are partly fine and then disintegrate into a pixelated mess. I will be getting this repaired ASAP and not use AP or NOA until it is fixed. Check your cameras.
I tried to imbed a copy but I get a Security Error message.

Johnny Ma

Aug 17, 2018
Earth
I posted this in the TACC/Autopilot thread but it was the first post there since last year so I'll ad it here.
Sentinel mode and find that some files from my left front repeater are too corrupted to play at all and others are partly fine and then disintegrate into a pixelated mess. I will be getting this repaired ASAP and not use AP or NOA until it is fixed. Check your cameras.

I've noticed similar issues but I suspect the cameras are fine. Seems to be a write/software issue on the Car/PC side, respectively. My files appear to be corrupted on Mac, but not so on PC. Also, some videos play poorly (entire regions covered in green blocks) during first playback but are fine on second or third playback.

We have lots of software engineers in this thread that can probably comment better than I. But I wouldn't pin this on your cameras...

ruralectric

Mar 27, 2016
Eastern Washington
Could be your USB stick.
See link: USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam | TeslaTap

Mod: Take this advice, worked for me. And take the further conversation there too :). --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:

traxila

Supporting Member
Nov 25, 2012
NYC
Another post noted that Shanghai is designed for 30,000 a week, so that’s 1.5 million. If they can do Y at Fremont they can maybe get 750,000 there. That’s 2.25 million in two plants. Adding to GF1 could add 500k to 1 million, or Europe or eastern USA. Lots of options. Mostly need new models to build.

Than would make Shanghai maybe the most prolific car factory in the world, all without battery supplies secured yet. I want to believe. Would prefer SP spike to high 280s or so and another Cap Raise dedicated to more factories. Time is running out.

Think Model Y could have 1.5 million global demand all by itself.

Reactions: izemize and AZRI11

jkliu47

Apr 30, 2013
Glendale, CA
Looks like Tesla may not be able to count on income from the FCA/Tesla EV agreement.

Fiat Chrysler and Renault are in advanced talks to merge the automakers

Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears I have overreacted to the news based on the mistaken assumption that all those Zoe’s would have put Renault in a better position to benefit FCA - but apparently not quite enough.

This is one time I am glad to get all those ‘disagrees’.

SPadival

May 7, 2016
Texas Terafactory
Joe White, Reuters
So how beholden does Tesla become to China, you know, whatever specific entity e.g. the Shanghai government? In the sense that it seems like that Chinese plant and all the infrastructure they're building there is being financed by bank loans from Chinese banks and Chinese entities... I mean how does that work? Seems like they're now beholden to some great degree to what Chinese consumers and government officials would like?

How nice of the Reuters guy to work the national security angle into the discussion /S

This is something that Jonas Bro tried as well. I guess they all got the same talking points memo.

H/T to @jhm .. this tweet got some likes :)

Even oilprice.com does not believe the FUD from the Media-WallSt complex - says its time to reverse/cut $TSLA short positions

“Headline hysteria suggests Tesla reversal”

H/T [email protected]

S Padival on Twitter

Looks like Tesla may not be able to count on income from the FCA/Tesla EV agreement.

FCA was/is free to sign a pooling agreement with Renault to get their credits without having to go through a merger process. They didn’t.. so what does that tell you?

RFernatt

Solar/EV Owner/Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2016
Eastern Panhandle, West Virginia
I see nothing wrong with calling the battery a "Fuel Tank". It's good analogy to the ICE equivalent.

In a way I agree, but when thinking of manufacturing difficulty and complexity and value, it's the opposite. ICE OEMs outsource most everything except engines and transmissions since those components comprise the core of an ICE, are the most expensive, comprise the most guarded value, where the OEM focuses innovation, research, etc. While electric motors are important, battery systems comprise the bulk of the value and focus of innovation for an EV and are therefore a lot more valuable than a fuel tank or the fuel equivalent of the ICE. In this sense, I would argue the battery system is not a fuel tank, but equal to an ICE engine. The EV motor may be on par with a transmission.

Reactions: JackieDonson

Prunesquallor

His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain.
Dec 19, 2018
Houston/Galveston
Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears I have overreacted to the news based on the mistaken assumption that all those Zoe’s would have put Renault in a better position to benefit FCA - but apparently not quite enough.

Europe EV Sales: Renault Zoe Wins In December, Nissan LEAF Takes 2018 Title | CleanTechnica
Looks like ZOE sold around 40,000 last year and is on the increase, say 50,000 in 2020. That will be worth 100,000 cars in 2020 due to Supercredits. Not bad. Also looks like Renault sold about 1,000,000 cars in Europe in 2018, but that has been up and down, so let’s leave that the same for 2020. FCA about the same.
Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles European sales figures
Super busy for the next couple of days, but I’ll try to fire up the model and see what all this means.

Edit:

Here's an interesting graphic. It shows without pooling, Renault and FCA are in almost the same situation, that is, they would be penalized the equivalent of their entire 2018 profits in 2021.
9025B49F-550D-4992-BA1D-321E3C96198F.jpeg

2021 CO2 targets would generate €34 billion euros in penalty payments within Europe - JATO

Last edited:

Solar Aussie

Mar 5, 2019
Australia

Saw that on the news and thought the same thing.. Elon Musk said it was a confidential agreement so I doubt if we will really hear what it involved the pooling with Tesla that is.. However the one article about it in the UK Financial Times which has a paywall implied that it was worth 2 Billion Euros and there was no mention of Tesla European sales. However it is European focus - building a Gigafactory in Europe which was included as part of the expansions noted in the Tesla 5 year plan would be a great move toward an international company and there is a template with GF3 in China.
NB There are more in forward plans Refer to TSLA update letter 2016 P2 "
Later this year, we expect to finalize locations for Gigafactories 3, 4 and possibly 5 (Gigafactory 2 is the Tesla solar plant in New York)."​

So Maybe GF4 will be in Europe...

I've noticed similar issues but I suspect the cameras are fine. Seems to be a write/software issue on the Car/PC side, respectively. My files appear to be corrupted on Mac, but not so on PC. Also, some videos play poorly (entire regions covered in green blocks) during first playback but are fine on second or third playback.

We have lots of software engineers in this thread that can probably comment better than I. But I wouldn't pin this on your cameras...

Glad this came up. I noticed it myself just last night and wondered if I should have the SC check it out. Also the left repeater.

• Helpful
Reactions: Thumper

Ratanpara

Sep 29, 2016
Brick NJ
Europe EV Sales: Renault Zoe Wins In December, Nissan LEAF Takes 2018 Title | CleanTechnica
Looks like ZOE sold around 40,000 last year and is on the increase, say 50,000 in 2020. That will be worth 100,000 cars in 2020 due to Supercredits. Not bad. Also looks like Renault sold about 1,000,000 cars in Europe in 2018, but that has been up and down, so let’s leave that the same for 2020. FCA about the same.
Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles European sales figures
Super busy for the next couple of days, but I’ll try to fire up the model and see what all this means.

Edit:

Here's an interesting graphic. It shows without pooling, Renault and FCA are in almost the same situation, that is, they would be penalized the equivalent of their entire 2018 profits in 2021.
View attachment 412310
2021 CO2 targets would generate €34 billion euros in penalty payments within Europe - JATO

If this is the case now I could believe it why Fiat-chrysler agreed to Pay billions to Tesla, this will be good leavers to Tesla to reduce prices in Europe if demand generation required and also I wouldn’t doubt if Tesla would come to agreement with someone like VW group.

bhtooefr

Apr 16, 2018
Newark, OH, USA
Interesting that the performance is that much less efficient. I wonder if that is if they are both driven in the same exact manner.

Yes that is when they are driven on the EPA Test cycle.

The problem is the large rear motor.

Also worth noting that the (pre-Raven) 100D was 335 mi, the P100D was 315 mi - 94.0% of the range of the non-Performance.

The new Performance is 93.2% of the range of the new Long Range. (The less efficient rear motor has a bigger impact when you're starting from a higher efficiency.) So, it's in line with the difference before.

In a way I agree, but when thinking of manufacturing difficulty and complexity and value, it's the opposite. ICE OEMs outsource most everything except engines and transmissions since those components comprise the core of an ICE, are the most expensive, comprise the most guarded value, where the OEM focuses innovation, research, etc. While electric motors are important, battery systems comprise the bulk of the value and focus of innovation for an EV and are therefore a lot more valuable than a fuel tank or the fuel equivalent of the ICE. In this sense, I would argue the battery system is not a fuel tank, but equal to an ICE engine. The EV motor may be on par with a transmission.
My own thought is that the filler neck/fuel tank/fuel pump/engine/transmission system is analogous to the charger/battery/inverters/motors/reduction gears system, but where to divide the line has a lot of questions.

The fuel tank stores chemical energy for the engine to oxidize and convert to mechanical energy, and the transmission matches the speed and torque output of the engine to the vehicle's speed and torque demands.

The battery stores chemical energy and oxidizes the anode to create electrical energy, the inverter matches the electrical energy to the motor's speed and current demands, and the motor converts electrical energy to mechanical energy (which the reduction gear further matches to the vehicle's speed and torque demands, although typically only in one ratio).

So, it doesn't cleanly split, although treating the battery+inverter+motor as roughly analogous to the fuel tank+fuel pump+engine makes sense to me.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC