Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDIT: to add to Fact Checkings post: French government asked for more time but since they own only 15% of Renault they shouldn't have this power. They could never get a majority vote together. Why they asked for more time (the Nissan worries) doesn't even matter to me in this story. It was not up to them IMO.

That's wrong: had the Nissan board members supported the deal it would have went through even against the French government's vote.

The only reason the French government could ask for a delay is because Nissan didn't support the deal, and the article claims that FCA representatives themselves too thought it important that Nissan support the deal:

Fiat Chrysler had also become increasingly aware of the pitfalls of pursuing a Renault merger without its larger alliance partner's buy-in. "Nissan needs to be in the loop," an FCA source told Reuters shortly before the deal fell apart.​

That's wrong: had the Nissan board members supported the deal it would have went through even against the French government's vote.

The only reason the French government could ask for a delay is because Nissan didn't support the deal, and the article claims that FCA representatives themselves too thought it important that Nissan support the deal:

Fiat Chrysler had also become increasingly aware of the pitfalls of pursuing a Renault merger without its larger alliance partner's buy-in. "Nissan needs to be in the loop," an FCA source told Reuters shortly before the deal fell apart.​

Read up on the subject and I stand corrected. As I said I heard this story over the radio (here in Belgium there is a lot of coverage of our French neighbours) and was spoonfed the scapegoat version.

Apologies for my ignorance. (This is how FUD about Tesla spreads, case in point.)

I publicly apologize for all the toes I stepped onto, too much was enough ...
We from Other Europe still cannot order M3 even from neighbor country.
Yes, I call that a demand problem. A different kind of demand problem, but nevertheless a problem.
I've tried to look elsewhere to bridge some more years for something else ... the closest thing I could identify that checked at least some of my boxes were a bit used BMW 420d and a bit used Lexus IS300h, both bombarding me with stone age UI.
M3 UI is a spoiler .. at first feels strange, after a bit nothing else feels adequate any more.

This is totally OT but who wants to look at and talk about 19x SP? Maybe shorters ...
I'll be in neutral mood when we are above 350, anything less is dismal.

Would it be possible for you Slovenians to buy a used M3 from another EU country, or non EU country (as in Switzerland) ?

Renault's and Nissan's EV tech is overrated.

Turning Pacifica's PHEV BMS into a BEV BMS isn't rocket science.

Nissan doesn't have their own cell manufacturing anymore and Renault never did.

FCA is looking at bankruptcy in the face and Renault wont go away because the French State will not allow it and provide subsidies through the transition.

New Nissan CEO is "focused on profitability" which is a code for not focused on BEVs.

Apologies for my ignorance. (This is how FUD about Tesla spreads, case in point.)

Not ignorance, just a small misunderstanding followed by a generous admission!

Another, more hypothetical argument regarding the FCA-Renault merger is that FCA's goal might have been to control Renault against Nissan's wishes and interests, from the very beginning. The 'Nissan needs to be in the loop' wording by the FCA source in particular suggests that up to that point Nissan was not in the loop ... which is weird.

I.e. basically a hostile takeover attempt directed at Nissan's EV tech, assuming FCA saw an angle to dominate the Nissan board after the Renault takeover-merger? But this is just speculation.

Also, largest founder-shareholders often have special powers beyond the stake they are holding in a company: Elon owns "only" 22% of Tesla, Jeff Bezos "only" owns about 17% of Amazon, Bill Gates "only" owned about 15% of Microsoft when he had peak power. The French government effectively founded Renault by heavily subsidizing it through its early history, and their 15% stake gives them board membership and special historic influence.

They can blame the French state all they want, "sources" suggest that it was Nissan's reluctance torpedoing the deal:

Nissan had signaled that its representatives would abstain. But during the meeting, French government representatives sought to persuade Nissan to endorse the deal. The meeting was held up three times for consultations, people familiar with the events said.

Fiat Chrysler had also become increasingly aware of the pitfalls of pursuing a Renault merger without its larger alliance partner's buy-in. "Nissan needs to be in the loop," an FCA source told Reuters shortly before the deal fell apart.

When it came to a vote, the Nissan representatives abstained, the leftist CGT union voted against, and all other directors voted for it. When it was the French state representatives' turn to vote, they insisted that the vote be postponed, people familiar with the events said.

France’s lead representative on the board, Martin Vial, said finance minister Le Maire would hold talks with his Japanese counterparts over the weekend and in Tokyo on Monday, after the G20 summit, and a vote could then take place on Tuesday.

Senard requested that Fiat Chrysler grant a delay. Instead, Fiat Chrysler quickly rejected the request, a person familiar with the events said.

On the French side, Fiat Chrysler was seen as being in too great a hurry to lock down the deal. French officials, however, signaled they saw no need to rush.​

I believe FCA probably wanted to get Renault's and Nissan's EV tech, but without buy-in and control of Nissan that's difficult to do. Note that this week BMW joined EV forces with Jaguar-Land-Rover.

Also note that while without Renault the FCA-Tesla pool becomes smaller, there's also a shrinking window of opportunity for FCA to get its EV act together and avoid paying billions per year to Tesla for CO₂ credits. FCA has no EV effort worth speaking of, it takes at least ~5 years to start a credible one, so acquiring one was their only hope.

"The French state had been seeking more influence over the merged company, firmer job guarantees and improved terms for Renault shareholders in return for blessing the tie-up.

France had broadly welcomed the deal, on condition it guarantees Renault's domestic blue-collar jobs and plants

Senard(CEO of Renault), 66, was due to be CEO of the combined company.
"

France was Ok with the deal.

As long as the headquarters was in France,Renault CEO was CEO of combined FCA-Renault, France could veto any decisions of FCA-Renault, and any job cuts happened in Italy or the USA.

Typically France.

I believe FCA probably wanted to get Renault's and Nissan's EV tech, but without buy-in and control of Nissan that's difficult to do. Note that this week BMW joined EV forces with Jaguar-Land-Rover.
They probably simply wanted Nissan's EVs. With a merger which included Nissan in some form, FCA could discontinue pooling with (and paying) Tesla AND avoid fines to the EU (at least to some extent). A merger with just Renault really didn’t help either's emission problems. Now FCA is royally screwed and will be paying Tesla in the EU AND the US (as we have recently learned).

Disclaimer: I don’t know how many EVs Nissan sells in the EU. If it’s not many, then my hypothesis is probably wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Last year Nissan sold just under 41k BEVs in Europe.

Not bad, but not enough to offset the emissions penalties of an FCA/Renault/Nissan conglomerate. Nor even to reduce them much, I would guess.

Through April 2019 they have sold less than 13k BEVs in Europe.

That seems like a pretty big drop off. Wonder, why? Maybe competition from Tesla?

These guys can’t catch a break.

Does anybody know if robinhood allows pre-market buying? I’m imagining those 60,000 young person accounts sharing Fred’s leak around and deciding to pick up a few more at around $200.
Yes, only gold members can buy premarket..which cost 10 dollars a month to be a gold member. Premarket trading happens 9am-930am and 4pm-6pm. Shares bought now are not from Robinhood members.

Does anybody know if robinhood allows pre-market buying? I’m imagining those 60,000 young person accounts sharing Fred’s leak around and deciding to pick up a few more at around $200.

Pre-market volume is BS. Usually less than 50k = 2 minutes of trading volume in open markets.

First 15 minutes of trading pretty much decides if SP is going to be up or down that day.

Pre-market volume is BS. Usually less than 50k = 2 minutes of trading volume in open markets.

While true, this only means that pre-market trading is easier to manipulate. It doesn't mean that the move isn't valid.

First 15 minutes of trading pretty much decides if SP is going to be up or down that day.

If that was remotely true then every HFT algo would be trading TSLA for easy profits, but it's not true. :D

Yes, only gold members can buy premarket..which cost 10 dollars a month to be a gold member. Premarket trading happens 9am-930am and 4pm-6pm. Shares bought now are not from Robinhood members.
Trades outside of market hours no longer need Gold: Extended Market Hours, Free for Everyone

(Gold for those unaware means margin. Well, non-Gold is also a margin account, due to the instant deposits feature (which is zero-fee margin on funds transfers that haven't completed - really not the same thing as true margin usage), but Gold has "real" margin.)