Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would that be covered call writing? $300 strike price leaps is mostly time value, if you get assigned on your calls you will lose significant amount of time value should you choose to exercise the leaps for covering.

Writing calls against leaps only works for very deep in the money leaps, no?
No.

I can write Calls at any strike price at or above my LEAP strike. If I were adventurous, I could sell the $310 that expires this Friday (currently priced at about $3.50) and hope for it to expire. I'm not that adventurous...

I placed an order to sell the Jan 25 $340 @ $0.40 just to give the short-term traders something to play with. If sold, I expect them to expire worthless. If the stock rises to the $340 level by Friday, I'll roll them to a later date at a higher strike. I won't allow them to be exercised.

Reactions: Cherry Wine
Good news - also the performance version is listed.

And so Tesla still only has a single qualifying model in Germany, since the Model S 100D (and Model X) are too expensive.

I even tweeted Elon Musk about that, but he didn't get back to me. He is probably busy with his 4D-chess.

2 days ago Germany’s Manager Magazin wrote that the Performance and LR Model will not be on the Bafa list because of the price.

Another FUD attack and I hope that people will remember all the lies.

I would have been okay with a statement like ‘they may not...’ but to say they will not is just a sign how anti Tesla they still are.

Proper Journalism is something else.

It’s a shame....

Is there any 8K on the European Homologation? Or any public announcement about this?

An LA Times reporter said that Tesla's spokesperson had told them they were good-to-go for EU, and Reuters also published an article saying the same thing.

But Tesla hasn't posted anything about it on their website, and I'd think this would be something worthy of an 8K, too.
Nah, Elon liking the article about this should suffice
Screenshot_20190122-123631_Twitter.jpg

@Anton W

So many disagrees here, but apparently Tesla agrees with me that the Supercharger price increases are risky. Smart move Tesla
this is a weird comment. IF this is Anton W from SA, i recall you had a Volt you never bothered to ever plug in "because too much trouble or some such hoohah" so electric is non existant 4 U anyway.
{hugz and kissez you cute little QT and thnx 4 subsidizing my 'vaca' to hawai'i and island of Kaua'i}
{will U ever answer my question bout your 20 non-existant model 3 reservations}
{beeg _smootch_ for ya you phat troll}

The way I see this is that Elon is building Tesla Network. He wants the entire fleet to be running 24 hours a day unrestricted by location and speed of chargers. Cost per kWh should allow for a small profit to allow for build out of more superchargers. Most importantly, the cost per kWh should be much cheaper than gas. Second most important is that the cost per kWh should be stable over the long term and similar in each location. You should be able to buy a fleet of Tesla's knowing that you can make profit down the line.

Amazon have been so successful because they put the customer as number one. They absorb delivery charges and returns so that you have absolutely no excuses for using them - you should not be charged extra for doing what is most convenient to you. I expect Tesla to follow this model.
Also, full costs/income are trade secretes.

People forget about DEMAMD charges on SCs though, that's huge. An SC does not cost Tesla the same as it costs you to charge at home. Not to mention property lease, equipment cost and maintenance, billing cost, taxes, customer charges...

I added to my collection of Jan 2020 $300s @ $64.50. Will be writing Calls against the position when the share price recovers.

Hey, me too! (w/r/t writing calls)

How would that be covered call writing? $300 strike price leaps is mostly time value, if you get assigned on your calls you will lose significant amount of time value should you choose to exercise the leaps for covering.

Writing calls against leaps only works for very deep in the money leaps, no?

He probably won't let the sold calls expire ITM. But if they were to be exercised early for some reason, the broker may just buy to close the short position since it's written against a LEAP with significant time value remaining.

A slightly less pessimistic update: My car now has been completely repaired and the new parts are being repainted today. Now it is only a question of how good the new paint job will be. OTOH, it will have been 4 1/2 months since the accident. Realistically, I just might forget about this episode if my car is still as wonderful as it was in my distant memories.
@jbcarioca
OT
dude, you should visit the west coast of Florida, take I-75.
about a year or two ago, i stumbled across a Tesla Roadster someone was driving.
It's basically a _skeleton_ in the front area, wheels, and little else
{chassis? what chassis. we don't need no steenkin chassis, this is Florida, just the basics},
being driven, like Bob Beaumonts last EV's.
In Cape Coral area near McGregor Blvd area parked at harbor freight.

Some statistics regarding homes that don't have garages. How many of these folks do you think are going to be charging at home? Here is one of those "first principles" that should have been used in determining the size of the addressable market I think. Any idea how many people won't buy a BEV because of lack of garage?
https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-in-the-US-have-a-garage

If in Germany an employer offers an employee free charging of their electrical car while it is parked at the employer, then that benefit is deemed non-taxable.

This is in part to support BEV owners (without at-home charging) and in part because Germany during the day hours (when many privately owned cars are parked at work) has a significant surplus of electricity (from PV) - except during a couple of winter months.

It seems like such a law could be useful in e.g. California.

Some statistics regarding homes that don't have garages. How many of these folks do you think are going to be charging at home? Here is one of those "first principles" that should have been used in determining the size of the addressable market I think. Any idea how many people won't buy a BEV because of lack of garage?
https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-in-the-US-have-a-garage
OT
@Uptownman
since 11/30/2013 i ran a 10 guage extension cord out the window to the vehicle, when my kid borrowed it, she hid the cord with leaves
you don't _need_ a garage, tho it's nice. a bud went to the beach with his S60 and charged for 3-4 days using extension cord out window (discreetly of course)
"love laughs at lox myths"

I was less aggressive than you with my option plays in the past, and yet I got burned pretty badly. Being here for few years, I've seen people lose everything, or a lot. Warnings usually don't work. Early on, I even warned TrendTrader007, who is a bit of a legend around here. He did really, really well in the beginning, continued pressing bets and got hurt quite badly couple of times*.

My focus on specific ERs ends with this quarter. I entered Tesla with a specific investment thesis, built around the effects of the company becoming profitable (which happened in Q3), and then being able to prove that it can sustain a profit (which happens in Q4), and the knock-on effects of the company being able to do so.

After this quarter, I'll be stretching out calls to increasingly distant expiries, with increasingly unambitious strikes.

I'm out of TSLA again for now. Will revisit where things stand closer to earnings report date. Currently short QQQ as I believe there should be some short-term downside to fill there this week.

Since TSLA has always gone back up after these dips, I'm always curious why people sell here.
Why not just wait for the inevitable climb back up?