Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who shaves the barber?

>> The barber is the "one who shaves all those, and those only, who do not shave themselves". The question is, does the barber shave himself?

Answering this question results in a contradiction. The barber cannot shave himself as he only shaves those who do not shave themselves. As such, if he shaves himself he ceases to be the barber. Conversely, if the barber does not shave himself, then he fits into the group of people who would be shaved by the barber, and thus, as the barber, he must shave himself. <<

Barber paradox - Wikipedia

My *conservative* Tesla quarterly delivery predictions:

Q1: 63,000 (known)
Q2: 90,000
Q3: 100,000
Q4: 110,000

Total: 363,000

-- which is within (and near the low end) of Tesla's guidance of 360-400k. It is possible also that a tax credit drop off could cause Q3 to be only 90,000. But then Q4, with the final tax credit demand lever and China Giga, could yield 120,000. Same yearly total either way.

Last edited:
Weekend OT
Last night my first referral picked up his new model 3 with his family. He phoned my up right as he arrived home and was laughing at how much fun this thing is (flawless delivery, with a queue of people there for pick up). A bunch of neighbors were already around him checking the car. We made a bet that within 3 months (conservative) at least one of them will buy one despite not necessarily needing a new car.
Cheers to the longs!

In large part because French cars sell a lot better than American cars in France. And Tesla base model is not available in France.

Tesla outsells all of Renault and Peugeot combined in the USA.
@sixela @RobStark While all that is true, let's not forget the Zoe can be configured from 17k Euros via the battery rental option and the French EV bonus, or 26k batteries included, while the Model 3 SR+ starts at 42k Euro.

Obviously the two cars are worlds apart in space, performance, range, etc. Comparing unit sales between the two cars makes no sense at all.

This raises some interesting questions for places like B.C. and Quebec that now have laws in place with a terminal date for ICE vehicles. For BC that’s 2040. So long before then gas stations will feel the pressure. By 2025 EV sales have to be 10 percent of new vehicles as per the law. Here’s the thing. It’s 2019 and this year we are already at 8 percent. It’s happening fast. BC is a tourist Haven. A lot of money comes into the province because of tourism. Lots from Saskatchewan, Alberta, and all over the USA. Many of those will be driving ICE vehicles for years as presently i am not aware of any mandate hastening EV adaption any where else. Alberta and Saskatchewan are oil provinces and are on record as wanting nothing to do with EV’s. Here’s the question. If BCers have little or no need for gas stations will there be a need at some point for the B.C. Goverment to support and subside gas stations just to keep them open for tourists?

Heads up for those who don’t know, if I drive downtown in the summer here every third plate is from Alberta. This is a big thing here. Also lots from the US and Saskatchewan.

Just sayin.

Good luck passing any law supporting Alberta drivers. I believe most people from BC are still reeling from the pipeline war and how much of a dick those oil provinces have been.

There's another country's people that will get to see EV transition in motion. Germans. BC is filled with German tourists and they get to see, first hand, a world with TESLA.

Thanks. Valuation of un-profitable enterprises (or segments of un-profitable enterprises) is often a crap shoot. Something about voting versus weighing.

On top of this, there is talk in the market that the price is due to the unusual transition from a very niche exchange to a regular one + a late cancellation of equity offer. The shares are theoretically exchangable from the earlier exchange to the new one but it is a process (you need to create an account which takes a day to approve etc..). Price at end of trade on NXchange was 20 EUR, price on Euronext is 50 EUR. Some people assume that traders went short on the share at opening on euronext, anticipating a large pool of shares to buy up from the equity offer. But then that equity offer didn't materialize and they were left buying up the very few shares from people who converted their NXchange certificates to Euronext tradables. Since no original investors cashed out the free float was super tiny and what we were left with is a short squeeze.

Obviously the two cars are worlds apart in space, performance, range, etc. Comparing unit sales between the two cars makes no sense at all.
That was my original point: I brought up the Zoe as an example of a successful smaller EV (which sells more easily in Europe than in the US — different segments have different weight) when people were lamenting their dearth.

It's not only successful in France: BASF have a fleet to shuttle people around their huge site and they ain't French ;-).

Comparing unit sales makes sense; not because the cars are competitors but mainly to indicate the relative strength of the different segments...

Any idea when we will have REAL delivery numbers for Q2 instead of all this speculation? It kills me how we talk ourselves into what the deliveries are going to be based on whatever metric we chose to use. I chose to hold my shares and see what the actual numbers are but I guess if you're short you're looking at when to bail.

Dan

Reactions: dc_h
Any idea when we will have REAL delivery numbers for Q2 instead of all this speculation? It kills me how we talk ourselves into what the deliveries are going to be based on whatever metric we chose to use. I chose to hold my shares and see what the actual numbers are but I guess if you're short you're looking at when to bail.

Dan
Somewhere in the range of July 1-5. July 7th definitely.

Who repairs the repair bots?

adaptationdemotivator.jpeg

Somewhere in the range of July 1-5. July 7th definitely.
Awesome! Thank you. Until then I think I will clean out my garage and find a new hobby. Turn off the stock ticker and buy that wood lathe I have always wanted to get into. Carving out wooden bowls is a lot more productive use of my time I think. ;)

Dan

OMG. The New York Times has a new article out today that is a tour-de-force of New York Times-style reporting. It’s about why EVs are still problematic, as evidenced by the difficulties one faces if one simply wants to drive from LA to Las Vegas.

L.A. to Vegas and Back by Electric Car: 8 Hours Driving; 5 More Plugged In

The New York Times is Dylan’s Mr. Jones, and this article shows exactly why The New York Times is so ill-suited, ill-equipped, out-of-touch, and hopelessly unable to help the public understand the EV transition. It’s like the paper is still trying to make heads or tails of General Magic’s Magic Cap and Apple’s Newton while the rest of the world is living with iPhones and Androids.

Because something is happening here
But you don’t know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?

Awesome! Thank you. Until then I think I will clean out my garage and find a new hobby. Turn off the stock ticker and buy that wood lathe I have always wanted to get into. Carving out wooden bowls is a lot more productive use of my time I think. ;)

Wait a minute. You still have dry powder left?

That could turn out to be the most expensive wood lathe you ever bought! ;)

The New York Times, still misleadingly people, on a daily basis now.

A piece on charging, that pretty much ignores how well Tesla supercharging network works, and focuses on how bad the other systems are, but implies this is what is like to use an EV

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/business/energy-environment/electric-cars-charging.html

Well at least if you know first hand how great the supercharging network is, it points out how behind the other networks and cars are.