Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried emailing Tesla? Should be a Tesla Energy email/contact who can help you.
Yes, multiple times. The exchanges were sad if not comical: "We cannot get involved with new construction until the builder is no longer involved and turns the property over to you." Seriously??? No builder is going to turn over a new construction home without a leak free roof covering! So we were supposed to pay for the builder's new roof before we could get any information at all about the economies of using Tesla's solar tiles??? Who exactly is the current ringmaster of the TE circus?

Last edited:
Why do both links in the link you provided show "Page not found" ? Leesburg Electric appears to be a small, municipally owned electric system. Please provide a citation of the Leesburg city ordinance and the specific section that states the restriction you are citing. Thanks!
@brian45011

read the _entire_ 2 pages of the main link which is _titled_
"In Florida, USA, it is Illegal to be disconnected from the grid...."
In Florida, USA, it is Illegal to be disconnected from the grid....

note the two broken links are from
09-28-2017, 02:26 AM
21 months ago, and seem to go to newspapers (btw, my picture is almost 1/2 century old)

It is also dealing with FPL, Florida Power & Light whom are "pita's" for dealing with solar
(note FPL in the video and referenced)
(video)

If my electrical producer was FPL and not LCEC (lee county electric coop) i would be __highly__ __illegal__
since im making about 200% -225% of my needs and usage, way over FPL's 115%
upload_2019-6-23_20-34-27.png

So YES, it's ___ILLEGAL__ to not be connected to the grid in Florida.
No Grid connection, NO residency permit

Google is your friend

@brian45011

read the _entire_ 2 pages of the main link which is _titled_
"In Florida, USA, it is Illegal to be disconnected from the grid...."
In Florida, USA, it is Illegal to be disconnected from the grid....

note the two broken links are from
09-28-2017, 02:26 AM
21 months ago, and seem to go to newspapers (btw, my picture is almost 1/2 century old)

It is also dealing with FPL, Florida Power & Light whom are "pita's" for dealing with solar
(note FPL in the video and referenced)
(video)

If my electrical producer was FPL and not LCEC (lee county electric coop) i would be __highly__ __illegal__
since im making about 200% -225% of my needs and usage, way over FPL's 115%
View attachment 422519

So YES, it's ___ILLEGAL__ to not be connected to the grid in Florida.
No Grid connection, NO residency permit

Google is your friend
Is it too difficult to provide the wording in any ordinance, statute or other mandatory requirement by any governmental entity? Why keep citing secondary/tertiary anecdotal accounts rather than the primary source?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Is it too difficult to provide the wording in any ordinance, statute or other mandatory requirement by any governmental entity? Why keep citing secondary/tertiary anecdotal accounts rather than the primary source?
It’s my understanding also that Florida requires connecting to the grid and requires an electrical check valve to protect surges to the grid.

Not all localities put their local codes online, believe it or not.

Even where they do, tracking down which provision is being used by overly officious building inspectors is not straightfoward. They may be using some sort of vague general provision which allows them to reject buildings they dislike, for example -- it may be "policy" rather than code.

Last edited:
It’s my understanding also that Florida requires connecting to the grid and requires an electrical check valve to protect surges to the grid.
According to the reports I read, *some localities in Florida* require connecting to the grid; *not all*. But there were specific cases where a homeowner had built an entirely off-grid house and couldn't get a certificate of occupancy without connecting to the grid.

Any chance you "mis-remembered" again? Find the link to your assertion, and I'll petition the mods to delete this post.
Zero chance. And no, I'm not going to bother to dig up years-old newspaper articles from random localities in Florida. People who had built off-grid houses were getting certificates of occupancy refused for not connecting to the electric grid.

Florida is the crazy state, so it doesn't surprise me that some localities in Florida have this sort of crazy law. I haven't actually heard of any cases from anywhere else.

Yes, multiple times. The exchanges were sad if not comical: "We cannot get involved with new construction until the builder is no longer involved and turns the property over to you." Seriously??? No builder is going to turn over a new construction home without a leak free roof covering! So we were supposed to pay for the builder's new roof before we could get any information at all about the economies of using Tesla's solar tiles??? Who exactly is the current ringmaster of the TE circus?

This sounds like when I told Tesla I needed a VIN to get insurance (no insurance carrier will issue a policy without a car on it) and them saying "Sure, we'll give you a VIN as soon as you show us a copy of your insurance"... um...

they were still pulling this BS as recently as this year, according to someone on the Model 3 forum

Spectacularly ridiculous isn't it?

Turns out Leesburg FL is online.

Municode Library

...Bingo, it's Sec. 7-170 (a), sentence 2.

"Dwelling units obtaining electrical power from an on-site solar energy system must be connected to an electrical utility service to serve as a backup in the event the solar energy system becomes inoperable for any reason."

There you are: Prohibition of off-grid solar-battery systems.

Now, brian, don't delete your posts. I'd like you to leave up the record of your requests for other people to do your homework for free for you. I'd also like you to leave up your record of unjustified skepticism towards facts. People should know what sort of a person you are. I will, however, accept your gracious thanks for the work and apology for the skepticism.

Mod: enough. If this didn't have actual content I'd have moved it to snippiness. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like when I told Tesla I needed a VIN to get insurance (no insurance carrier will issue a policy without a car on it) and them saying "Sure, we'll give you a VIN as soon as you show us a copy of your insurance"... um...

they were still pulling this BS as recently as this year, according to someone on the Model 3 forum

Spectacularly ridiculous isn't it?
All they needed from me (and I assume others) was proof that I have vehicle insurance for some other vehicle, which with USAA also covers rentals or new cars for a limited period.

I know the NYT article is becoming old news at this point, but I happened to have a road trip for work and did my best to provide a real world rebuttal of their reporting here:

Mesa on Twitter

V2 superchargers after the recent software updates are stupid fast, it has never been easier to road trip in a Tesla.
Ha... stupid fast. I needed to do 15 minutes of shopping at San Diego's Fashion Valley, and I thought I might as well charge because it made parking easier. It's a long, skinny mall. I got the "charging done" message and by the time I got back I'd incurred waiting fees! It was much faster than I was expecting!
edit: I had only selected 85% charge. I could have bumped it up and stayed longer.

Ha... stupid fast. I needed to do 15 minutes of shopping at San Diego's Fashion Valley, and I thought I might as well charge because it made parking easier. It's a long, skinny mall. I got the "charging done" message and by the time I got back I'd incurred waiting fees! It was much faster than I was expecting!

I don't think this is talked about enough! The V2 upgrade to 150kW is such a giant boost in speed, and that is before V3 is rolled out in bulk. We had enough time to walk .1 miles to a coffee shop, buy coffee and use the bathroom before the 'you are ready to continue your trip' notification popped up. No waiting.

I had planned to post that twitter thread all day with pictures and details while I do my normal 'charge after the first night of travel to Grand Rapids' charging session after dropping off coworkers at the hotel. Came back to the hotel, grabbed my laptop, hit the supercharger. Was sure I could post it while sitting in the car charging. Wasn't even close to finishing the post when I hit 80%!

Night and day difference. My co-worker, who is definitely *not* an electric car guy, was blown away by the whole trip experience. There is so much progress to be made in everyday people learning the truth of Tesla ownership

All they needed from me (and I assume others) was proof that I have vehicle insurance for some other vehicle, which with USAA also covers rentals or new cars for a limited period.

That's the incredibly idiotic thing that the fools at Tesla HQ kept parroting to me until I short-circuited it and said "Get me a person in a NY office. Now." (Thankfully, the person at the NY store had a clue, and proceeded to get me the VIN number, which I used to get insurance.)

Do you realize that some people are buying a Tesla *who do not currently own a car*? As their *first car*? Like I was doing in 2013, and like someone who has been living car-free in NYC was doing in 2018.

(and yes, I explained this to Tesla every time)

I shouldn't have to buy a gas car first in order to get insurance so I can buy a Tesla!

It is exactly like being told you have to put on a normal non-solar roof first, and then get a certificate of occupancy, before Tesla will talk to you about getting a solar roof. Which is what happened to Brian. It's stupid.

Tesla quite literally has no good reason to ask for insurance before issuing a VIN number. They can sell me a car if I don't have insurance -- that's totally legal. I can put it on private property.

Asking for insurance before *registering* the car is fine, of course.

Last edited: