Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your always helpful write up Papafox! Does anyone have any pointers on where to go to get started investing? This is the second time I have missed great opportunities to buy Tesla and as a noob I would appreciate any tips.

You say great opportunity to buy Tesla. My wife and I bought TSLA yesterday at 229 having never owned a share of stock before in our lives. Buying for the long-term, but it's always disheartening to see it creep downward immediately after purchase!

The best advice we've received is to take your first investment as a learning opportunity, and not invest more than you're able to lose.

This is the quote I was referring to.

Can you clarify what you're asking? Originally, you were asking about the "SEC mess". I think we adequately covered why the SEC had no case. Yes, guidance eventually changed, because Tesla decided not to push for 7k vehicles per week from Fremont, and focus on China instead, which changed the timelines a bit. (Still has no bearing on the SEC case, though, since that case was about whether Elon was giving new, previously unmentioned guidance with his 500k tweet, a charge that is disproven by the image you posted.)

Reactions: StealthP3D
The 2022 BMW i4 Could Be the Tesla Model 3's Biggest Threat Yet
2022 BMW i4 – New Electric Sports Sedan

"Wait, we'll have something in 2022!"

It is like "Wait, we'll have sears.com launched in 4 years!"

Old car companies are doomed.

TSLA Long. It's obvious.

BMW noticed they are hemorrhaging sales to the model 3 so they decided to promise a fantasy car like the Porsche Taycan to deter buyers. We have seen this song and dance before too many times.

At the current powertrain efficiency from these legacy car makers, a 350 mile range will need a 170kw pack. Sounds like a car that will cost at least 100k.

Thanks for your always helpful write up Papafox! Does anyone have any pointers on where to go to get started investing? This is the second time I have missed great opportunities to buy Tesla and as a noob I would appreciate any tips.

Well, if you look at the chart there has rarely been a better time to buy in during the last 2.5 years! If you use Robinhood I don't think there are any trading fees, although I'm not confident on the overall service, but probably best if only buying 1 share at a time.

Ally bank (what I use) and E trade also have pretty low fees. Buy in small blocks of shares to spread the cost out.

Careful, I started a year and a half ago only intending to "buy a couple". I wish I could start acquiring now instead! :(;)

Well, if you look at the chart there has rarely been a better time to buy in during the last 2.5 years! If you use Robinhood I don't think there are any trading fees, although I'm not confident on the overall service, but probably best if only buying 1 share at a time.

Ally bank (what I use) and E trade also have pretty low fees. Buy in small blocks of shares to spread the cost out.

Careful, I started a year and a half ago only intending to "buy a couple". I wish I could start acquiring now instead! :(;)

Do need to be careful with those budget trading platforms. They don't charge fees, but they need to make their money somewhere. Last I heard, Robinhood makes their cut by selling your orders to high-volume traders; so if you put in a buy order at 229, they inform a partner of theirs of your order, who buys at 228.9 and sells to you for 229. It makes sense for low volume traders, but anything more you're not getting your orders filled at the best price.

Going by recent BMW exec's comments, can only assume BMW is not securing a large supply of batteries for it — since no one wants EVs.

Fröhlichs statements are in contrast to the official BMW statement to accelerate the BEV part and that is again a sign how split people are within BMW and that is true for many other German car companies. There is huge internal fight going on about power. As ICE sales goes down Krueger gets weaker and with Fröhlich making statements like he did people may believe its a strong leader and he knows what he talks about but its in reality pretty mich nonsense what he said.

In fact if we look what he presented about BEVs to be too expensive and that's going to continue may even be true for BMW as they are not a major player in BEVs and are in a weak position about materials as well as battery supply. Also their strategy to sell PHEVs does not really work out too as consumers in Germany buy twice as much BEVs versus PHEVs.

In short we should remember Fröhlichs words and repeat them over time as they show us how irresponsible certain Managers are.

no news is bad news as we drop $4+

Tea-leaf analysis, worth precisely what you pay for it:

It's quite a big deal for Tesla to report some record numbers this quarter. If they were significantly over that mark, they would have reported the numbers today in pre-market hours, the way they did in their good quarters (Q3 and Q4 2018).

The report being delayed* until after hours today or pre-market tomorrow makes me think that either a) they are really close to record numbers, and they want to confirm every delivery report from every branch, or b) they didn't get there, they know it will be spun negatively, and they're looking for a way to make the report sound positive. Releasing the report in the after hours today would indicate to me that they want to give investors time to get over the initial disappointment and see the bigger picture by next day.

*I know it's not "technically" delayed, but they already have a good idea of what the numbers are.

no news is bad news as we drop $4+
Well there is some bad news:
Boeing (BA): 737 Max Fix May Not Be So Simple, But This Top Analyst Still Bullish on Stock
And because some people who own or drive tesla's would actually fly on a boeing airplane (not necessarily a 737 max), by association, TSLA would get a downgrade. But keep those upticks coming for boeing piling up huge expensive inventory-undelivered...