Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, of course GM being the exception as having been dragging their feet even longer.

This is all making for a really fascinating historical chapter in human existence. Exciting times!
The thing about that is that GM only made the EV1 to prove that they were impractical and no one wanted them. At the same time, all of them were lobbying against California's emissions regulations. Once that was successful GM destroyed every EV1 they made, barring the one put in a museum.

No one else felt like putting up the money to make an EV to fail, I'm not sure why GM felt it necessary to go the extra mile. But in my book they are all equally culpable for fighting emissions requirements and electric vehicles every step of the way.

Ironically, I believe the EV1 completely backfired by demonstrating the exact opposite of what GM wanted. Which was simply that even an EV that was never intended to be successful required an active effort to kill. Maybe we should thank GM for that unintentional object lesson -- by buying someone else's EV.

My impression that the wave is unwinding a bit more this month already?
Last 2 quarters, the first month had 4 ships leaving. I think we'll see the same this quarter.

If we assume a total of 8k/wk production, I think this is what the distribution would look like

July, Aug (M1, M2) :

4k/wk to China/EU ~ 1 ship/wk : 4 ships/month to EU, 2 ships to China (assuming 3k/ship)
4k sold in NA : 16k/month

Sep (M3) :
8k sold in NA : 32k

When they start shipping even in M3, we know they are serious about ending the wave.

No wave would look like,
3k/wk to China/EU : 3 ships to EU, 1 ship to China per month - total 36k cars
5k/wk to NA : 64k cars

Ofcourse, before this unwinding of wave actually happens, I think GF3 will come online, which will alter the dynamic (fewer ships to China with S/X/AWD 3). But then, Y will come online which will again change the balance.

Basically there is no "steady state" with Tesla. Just quarterly chaos.

ps : Both quarters also had some ships going to China, EU in the 3rd month. In Q1, we had 4 ships leaving on 3rd, 5th, 7th and 10th. In Q2 we had 2 ships leaving on 4th and 21st. Clearly 21st ship carried cars they knew would not be delivered. In Q1 they might have assumed it was possible to deliver the cars from late leaving ships.

Last edited:
Doesn't this assume that they can't see Tesla's gross margins and figure it out for themselves? It doesn't take fifty rocket scientists to figure out that if Tesla did not invest in growth they would have a boatload of GAAP profits. Of course, if Tesla were to slow down growth, then they would get called out for lack of demand. There's no way to please those who will find any excuse to find fault.
Never overestimate the amount of training and diligence is involved in being a securities analyst. Nearly all of them are incapable of serious financial analysis and even fewer actually understand the businesses they are evaluating. That is true for bulls and bears alike.

For our purposes we need to really understand the long term prospects for TSLA. Short term the technical analysts rule, and there are hordes of highly qualified and very professional technical analysts. FWIW the 'shorts' depend on coordinated negative PR but often use technical analysis to time their attacks. Never mistake the securities analysts for technical analysts. The former are almost universally incompetent. The latter are often ignorant of the business but are nearly always capable statisticians.

Posted 3h ago:

Feeling very optimistic about reports of Tesla hiring former automotive factory workers from the competition. My guess is that Tesla has a great reputation on chinese social media and thus will be able to hire some of the most talented and hardworking local workers.

If you want to get a better understanding of China and recent developments I recommend these books:
https://www.amazon.com/Age-Ambition-Chasing-Fortune-Truth/dp/0374535272
https://www.amazon.com/AI-Superpowers-China-Silicon-Valley/dp/B07G8KTTX4

Feel free to recommend other books as I think this very valuable insight for understanding $TSLA.

Last edited:
Here's the video that shows that building under construction along with a commentary about it. Starts at about 5 minutes.

Still doesn't look like any substation I've seen. Stations are usually built outside on a concert slab. This allows for good air circulation to cool the large transformers that take the high voltage and drop it to lower levels. I don't see any high voltages towers to the "station" nor any reduced voltage lines leading to the factory. The red cubes being installed also don't look like anything I've see for a substation nor a power generation facility. Any of you have a better SWAG? The only thing I see that looks electrical is the banner.

Last edited:
View attachment 429527

What the heck is this building anyway? Always been curious about this separate structure at GF3.

upload_2019-7-14_20-39-4.jpeg

Man, I can't imagine how cynical I would be in his shoes after this whole experience. Just how soul-crushing and demoralizing it must be to show folks the way and not only have no one follow you, but to endure such concentrated ridicule and hatred. ooof. More power to him - he certainly keeps his chin up.

Have to disagree - the sentiment at least at the German manufacturers has shifted significantly during the last 1-2 years - now many have said they acknowledge Tesla´s lead in EVs and I think most have realized that EVs are the future. A lot has changed, and I don´t see any ridicule of Tesla any more. I think Elon has already come a long way towards his goal of transitioning transportation to sustainable energy by showing how desirable EVs can be. BMW is running prime time commercials for their electric cars every night. Unimaginable 5 years ago.

Another few idea's... waste water management, clean water proceeding, or very unlikely but maybe steam generation. OR all the above.
I highly doubt it's a flood pump house but there is a rare chance they thought that far ahead.
A pump house could be correct. From the blurry photos it looks like there is an insane amount of steel, if i am seeing it correctly it is designed to hold a huge amount of weight or pressure. Certainly more than your standard substation.

Rumor: Tesla might be the next sponsorship to Disney's Speedway Attraction for An All Electric Overhaul!!!!

PLEASE LET IT BE REAL! Also Tesla needs to sponsor Test Track and SpaceX needs to sponsor Mission Space. Only way to bring balance to the force.

RUMOR: Tesla Sponsorship For Tomorrowland Speedway Imminent

this isn't the type of advertising I would do right off the bat.

also check my reddit post:

Tesla Collison avoidance is insane : teslamotors

buying more shares as soon as I can.

Reactions: Christine69420