Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That allows for tracking costs by moving between buckets. How does fit into ?

Service charging deferred revenue more does not improve the bottom line.

The estimated cost of warranty repairs is subtracted from the revenue and recognized over the period of the warranty, right? The bottom line improves if repairs under warranty cost less than the estimated amount.

While the majority of cars are under warranty, service cannot have positive gross margin. If they were dealerships, then the OEM would pay for the warranty work, but Tesla is one balance sheet. Only when serivce is doing repairs Tesla isn't paying for do they even have income.

Previous revenue activities are annual service (maybe every 2 years) and tires (if people don't use a chain store). Thus a reason to get into accident repair/ bumper cover replacement since insurance pays (untill Tesla is the insurance provider, but then they theoretically get the premiums to offset the costs).

Granted, i haven’t followed their operating statements close enough (I firmly believe in the mission, the product and positive impact to planet Earth).

However, wouldn’t items such as free supercharging, warranty work, etc. be taken as COGS with an internal offset provided as revenue to service? And, if warranty expense comes in lower than what’s been recorded in previous quarters, in theory service p&l would be very positively impacted (until the CFO changes the model).

ng
What if Tesla might be able to get onto the s&p 500, by cutting expenses in certain areas? The resulting inclusion in indexes and prestige would totally be worth the short term pain.
Customer service is less important if you have a superior product.
How likely is that?
Seems like decent odds.
How big would that be?
Pretty big, especially if coupled with FSD and cars that appreciate.
Although it’s a long shot, would s&p inclusion and commensurate profits change everything overnight?
Not that much of a long shot, odds are pretty good in the next couple years if they prioritize profits v. expansion. Main criteria they are missing is 4 consecutive qtrs of profits, although I think sometimes they will wave a bad quarter if they have a profitable year (not absolutely sure)

I was thinking 5 days from now. I'll give it a 10% chance, a can't lose prediction. :)

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and tander
I was thinking 5 days from now. I'll give it a 10% chance, a can't lose prediction. :)
I think there is a decent chance that Q2 results will satisfy the financial metrics required for S&P inclusion, HOWEVER, that does not mean that TSLA would be included, forthwith. The fact that there is a committee that ultimately has discretion as to inclusion is a big problem, IMO. Think about it-----do you think that there might be a person or two on that committee that might have friends, relationships with people at Goldman Sachs and/or Morgan Stanley? The sudden inclusion of TSLA would put a major hurt on these two, and other firms that have lent massive amounts of shares to their shorting clients. If the numbers are good enough, I believe actual inclusion will be delayed. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
I think there is a decent chance that Q2 results will satisfy the financial metrics required for S&P inclusion, HOWEVER, that does not mean that TSLA will be included, forthwith. The fact that there is a committee that ultimately has discretion as to inclusion is a big problem, IMO. Think about it-----do you think that there might be a person or two on that committee that might have friends, relationships with people at Goldman Sachs and/or Morgan Stanley? The sudden inclusion of TSLA would put a major hurt on these two, and other firms that have lent massive amounts of shares to their shorting clients. If the numbers are good enough, I believe actual inclusion will be delayed. I'd love to be proven wrong.

That would be my worry and hesitation about S&P inclusion. We've all seen how shady things can be from wall st to Moody's credit ratings. Not just talking about Tesla specifically.

Cabinet plans? What’s that?

The Dutch Assembly of Ministers is sometimes called ‘het kabinet’ or ‘the cabinet’. They put forward a plan to phase out EV preferential tax treatments, starting with cars purchases from januari 2019 1st onwards. Basically the personal income tax to be paid on company EV cars made available to emoloyees will more than double for cars purchased next year compared with those purchased still this year. (The year of purchase determines the applicable tax regime for the following five years, a fairly typical lease term)

I think there is a decent chance that Q2 results will satisfy the financial metrics required for S&P inclusion, HOWEVER, that does not mean that TSLA will be included, forthwith. The fact that there is a committee that ultimately has discretion as to inclusion is a big problem, IMO. Think about it-----do you think that there might be a person or two on that committee that might have friends, relationships with people at Goldman Sachs and/or Morgan Stanley? The sudden inclusion of TSLA would put a major hurt on these two, and other firms that have lent massive amounts of shares to their shorting clients. If the numbers are good enough, I believe actual inclusion will be delayed. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Heaven forbid... are you implying that S&P would stoop to favoritism? If there were a substantial delay, it must be for good, honorable, and just reasons. Their website says:

"The intelligence you need, when you need it."

Seconds later (I am not making this up), this popped up:

upload_2019-7-20_13-46-16.png

Irony aside, it would be pathetic if they really did this. A lot of people are watching Tesla.

You are more charitable than I am. I'll just call it how I see it: Anton Wahlman is a liar.

He purposefully lies in an attempt to profit from his TSLA short position and also to protect his beloved fossil car industry and oil companies. This most recent article claims that Ford will have a Mustang-inspired EV crossover for sale by the second half of 2020. While I wish that were true, it's not, and Anton knows it.

Technically, I don't know what Anton knows, but I know what he should know. Any auto analyst should know that people buy Teslas for way more reasons than just their external beauty. So yes, Anton's claim that "Tesla's valuation rests largely on its ability to make the best-looking cars [and its truck plan]" is likely a lie, and certainly false.

But the claim is so obviously false that I don't see how anyone except ignorant morons could believe it. Maybe Anton thinks his audience will believe anything. Or else he is pandering to his patrons while winking at everyone else. Either way, I hope he bets the farm on his short position... if he actually has one.

Last edited:
You're expecting a $250 million profit for Q2 while pretty much everyone else is predicting a loss for Q2?

Most people in this thread who have done any level of analysis are also predicting a loss.
I am not expecting anything of the sort. There are enough unknowns wrt to Q2 numbers that there could be a surprise, but that's irrelevant. My thesis stays the same for whenever they do satisfy financial metrics, if the short position persists. BTW, I've been at this investing game for over 50 years. You would be wrong to presume my level of analysis.

I think there is a decent chance that Q2 results will satisfy the financial metrics required for S&P inclusion, HOWEVER, that does not mean that TSLA would be included, forthwith. The fact that there is a committee that ultimately has discretion as to inclusion is a big problem, IMO. Think about it-----do you think that there might be a person or two on that committee that might have friends, relationships with people at Goldman Sachs and/or Morgan Stanley? The sudden inclusion of TSLA would put a major hurt on these two, and other firms that have lent massive amounts of shares to their shorting clients. If the numbers are good enough, I believe actual inclusion will be delayed. I'd love to be proven wrong.

How would that work? Even if q2 was profitable q1 wasn't and they have to have 4 consecutive quarters of profit don't they?

Heaven forbid... are you implying that S&P would stoop to favoritism? If there were a substantial delay, it must be for good, honorable, and just reasons. Their website says:

"The intelligence you need, when you need it."

Seconds later (I am not making this up), this popped up:

View attachment 432117

Irony aside, it would be pathetic if they really did this. A lot of people are watching Tesla.
S&P 404

How would that work? Even if q2 was profitable q1 wasn't and they have to have 4 consecutive quarters of profit don't they?

No, 4 consecutive positive quarters is not a requirement. What is required is a profit over the sum of the last 4 quarters. And the last one has to be profitable.

So 3 quarters with losses which are compensated by a large profit in the fourth quarter would be enough to qualify.

While the majority of cars are under warranty, service cannot have positive gross margin. If they were dealerships, then the OEM would pay for the warranty work, but Tesla is one balance sheet. Only when serivce is doing repairs Tesla isn't paying for do they even have income.

Previous revenue activities are annual service (maybe every 2 years) and tires (if people don't use a chain store). Thus a reason to get into accident repair/ bumper cover replacement since insurance pays (untill Tesla is the insurance provider, but then they theoretically get the premiums to offset the costs).
Warranty work does not affect Service revenue, COGS or margins. Automotive sales COGS include an estimate of warranty costs. They add this amount to a warranty reserve account. When they perform warranty work on a car they charge the expense against that reserve. It does not show up as an expense during the quarter they do the work.

If the amount of warranty work trends higher or lower than the estimates over time they will change the estimate they accrue at the time of sale. This will affect Cost of Automotive Sales. It doesn't affect Service revenue or Service COGS.

The vast majority of Tesla's Service Revenue and COGS are used car sales. They have negative margins because they aren't very good at selling used cars. They may also lose money on non-warranty work, including "goodwill" repairs. Some bears believe they improperly charge work that should go against warranty reserves to general Services COGS in an effort to keep warranty accruals low and boost Auto Sales gross margins. I've seen no evidence of this. The size of the losses is a concern, though.