Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That "impossible timeline" from 5 years ago is right on track:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/25...-tesla-to-sell-500000-cars-in-2020-are-absurd

(Published September 2014)

Absolutely agree. I was referring to the running narrative that Musk allowed to go viral with ever increasing expectations over the past five years and his erratic behavior...at times.

But you are totally correct. The original ridiculous projection he made was half a a million and a Model 3 launch in 2020. Everyone talks about missed deadlines, but they missed the one that Musk moved up two or three years. And they will right on make half a million plus in 2020 with a Model Y launch!.

Doesn't that mean that Q1 had a headwind of production exceeding deliveries? This is why these quarterly snapshots are such garbage, especially for a company in hyper growth mode.

What would you be saying if the FCF had been negative DESPITE the deliveries exceeding production? Bad news indeed then....

Yes q1 was an even bigger cashflow headwind with production exceeding deliveries by 14k.

Just bought AH @ 238.84......it may go lower short term but cash generation is bullish to me and the shorties are playing their usual tricks.

Pondering... but my history just show's I'd be buying and selling around the same price. Just as easy to sit tight I guess, I can't even time the little swings! Had 2 sells today at slightly higher prices. If you ever sell, just use about $5 below my orders. Figures...

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Elon was clearly talking about production and deliveries there, and on June 13 he'd have no idea about Q2 revenue and profits yet.

Sure, it's my opinion that Elon was subscribing to hyperbole. I think he could have easily said, "record on both" or similar.

And on June 13 he can't say for sure about record deliveries and production either.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and Pezpunk
Sure, it's my opinion that Elon was subscribing to hyperbole. I think he could have easily said, "record on both" or similar.

And on June 13 he can't say for sure about record deliveries and production either.

Read the quote, the production and deliveries context is clear, there's no hyperbole and he didn't project certainly either:

[timestamp 33:00]

"[Q2] sales have far exceeded production, and production has been pretty good, so we're actually doing doing well, and we have a decent shot at a record quarter on every level, [...] if not it's gonna be very close, [...] we've got a shot at a record quarter, and 90% of orders are coming from non reservation holders, so these are new customers."​

A "decent shot at" record deliveries and production can be projected on June 13 given what he just said before it: that production is good.

The uncertainty was about whether they'd be able to execute deliveries well, which they did.

He'd have no idea about profits when he made that statement - and I commented on this at the time.

I've seen several people say they should have sold today and bought back tomorrow (or later). Easy to say with what we know now. But what if the -1.12 per share had been 0.00 or +0.50. That would have been beaten expectations and you would have been chasing a moving target. Sit tight and hold is the best advice if you are in it for the long term.

I've seen several people say they should have sold today and bought back tomorrow (or later). Easy to say with what we know now. But what if the -1.12 per share had been 0.00 or +0.50. That would have been beaten expectations and you would have been chasing a moving target. Sit tight and hold is the best advice if you are in it for the long term.

Probably the only time you should be hopping in and out of the market is if you have one of these.

512ZYBBZJ7L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

it’s important to realize that musk is running a company. he has 1000s upon 1000s of people that rely on his vision and plans for execution. it’s imperative he shares their motivation, keeping them uplifted during difficult times, and displaying much deserved appreciation for their hard work. it’s our job not to confuse his exuberance for his team and their accomplishments with what WE perceive should be any impact on stock price...

it’s not always related. his point of view isn’t always long shareholders. it’s often long stakeholders.

i’m tired of hearing that he must stay quiet, or he’s not to be trusted, or he isn’t in tune with wall street.

nonsense

the shareholder perspective (many here long and strong) should be to use the market’s inability to price this stock to our advantage. and try not to be part of that inability. very hard indeed, it’s an endless learning experience.