Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your post prompted me to go back and search the news archives. I found this article from November 1999 wondering if Amazon's build out of four automated warehouses would pay off. The last line from the article, "There's only this Christmas, and maybe a few more, to find out just how big Amazon.com can be."

Expect similar articles to come out if Tesla announces that they are going to start building their own battery cells. Why I think Tesla will do this is the same reason that Amazon built out warehouses; the fulfillment process/cell manufacturing is so critical to Amazon/Tesla that they can't leave it to others to handle.

Amazon feasted on the WebVan carcass--similar to Tesla and NUMMI. That transaction extricated Toyota from an annual property tax liability millstone . Building new manufacturing facilities is capital intensive--look at GF-1. The footprint is 30% of the initial projections, and both Tesla and Panasonic have spent more than the initial estimates for the entire facility.

Well, I don't know a hundred Odyssey owners, so from that perspective it makes the failure rate larger than 3%.

Joke aside, now that I think about it, I only know about 10 Odyssey owners. Silicone valley is full of snobs driving BMW X5 s going 50mph on the highway.

And Tesla drivers are not???

Now that entry 3 is cheap enough, it’s basically become the first car given to high school/college kids in my area.
Every dog, son, daughter drives one /s.

Now that the young’ens and newly minted techies are driving them everywhere, including in SV, you get crazies now and then. I’ve had couple instances where a SR or LR 3 driver wanted to race my PDL S/X out of nowhere on the local roads. WTF?!

I simply raise issue with your assumption that the chemicals involved will remotely resemble that of those used in aesthetic electroplating operations. There's no connection.

OT

There's a dearth of available information on Redwood Materials' planned process. To avoid sidetracking this thread down another rabbit hole, my final observation is that recovery of silver ingots from old x-rays and/or film uses many of the same pernicious chemicals as "aesthetic electroplating operations" (it's also energy intensive).

I keep thinking the following:

1. The more Wall St and the media has this misguided impression that Tesla is failing,
2. The more established automakers believe Tesla is not worth chasing because they'll die,
3. The more they refuse to budge from their existing ICE model,
4. The further ahead Tesla gets from the competition.
5. The higher TSLA goes longer term.

Bad for the future of our world, but ultimately good for my pocketbook. I will then spend those TSLA profits on more Teslas, which is then good for the world. Therefore, it's a win-win. Unless you're an established automaker, in which case you're doomed.

Yeah,
Since the stupid silicone valley schools don't have school buses, we carpool with our neighbor when sending kids to school. One day on the way to school the neighbor kid asked me where we wash our cars after complimenting how clean it is. After answering her I asked where they wash their two years old BMW X5.

Her answer almost got me into an accident. She said they haven't had the need to do that since they have to go to the dealership every month for some repairs and the dealer wash it every time.

Rich people in suburbs generally don’t like buses or public transit. Not just in SV. That’s just fact of life in America. These are the type of people buying up most of Teslas.
The peculiar state of being an ideologist and TSLA investor.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Coolant, what is that in a Tesla?

My college has a 2014 model S with original brake pads.

Might want to bring it in for service if you think you don’t have any coolant. Could be detrimental to your S.

Btw, that’s a non-user replaceable maintenance item that is recommended in your Tesla manual to be done at 4yrs/50k miles.

I keep thinking the following:

1. The more Wall St and the media has this misguided impression that Tesla is failing,
2. The more established automakers believe Tesla is not worth chasing because they'll die,
3. The more they refuse to budge from their existing ICE model,
4. The further ahead Tesla gets from the competition.
5. The higher TSLA goes longer term.

Bad for the future of our world, but ultimately good for my pocketbook. I will then spend those TSLA profits on more Teslas, which is then good for the world. Therefore, it's a win-win. Unless you're an established automaker, in which case you're doomed.
Your thoughts are absolutely true, otherwise how auto industry couldn’t make car today to compete with 2012 Model S.