Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

upload_2019-1-25_20-0-43.jpeg

Tesla claimed there was a battery shortage for Model 3 and PowerWalls which is the reason that the PowerWall was in limited supply, yet Panasonic said Tesla wasn't ordering as many batteries as Panasonic expected Tesla to order, suggesting that Panasonic had a glut of battery capacity (all during the same time period using the 2170 battery cell made at the Gigafactory). Who is lying?

Last edited:
In all fairness, Tesla and Mr Musk also have said that their long-term plan is to perform all but the uttermost intractable service issues through a combination of over-the-air solutions (not so great for bad tires, etc.) and "Ranger"-type roving service agents, rather than by opening new service centers.. I've been on the receiving end of that service to great approval. I do NOT know the extent to which Tesla believes it has filled these gaps.
I rented a Model 3 with a wobbly wheel and I realized just now it could probably be fixed with a symmetrical pair swap in the field and take the wheels back to a service center for further analysis and repair to ascertain the problems (bent rim, bad tire, etc.). When I had my Model S in early 2017, flat tires got me a Tesla wheel loaner delivered & swapped by tow truck, and then the tow truck would return my wheel to the service center for repair, which I would arrange with the service center for repair and pickup, along with any symmetrical new tires needed, and I would usually try to combine it with other services if possible. How far into this does the ranger service push? There's a backend cost to delivering two brand new wheels with two brand new symmetrical tires of the same spec as the cars' being fixed; there are a number of tire and wheel combinations offered by Tesla at this point, so stocking all of those would take a lot of extra space in any service vehicle, too much space. There have to be compromises.

Tesla claimed there was a battery shortage which is the reason that the PowerWall was in limited supply, yet Panasonic said Tesla wasn't ordering as many batteries as Panasonic expected Tesla to order, suggesting that Panasonic had a glut of battery capacity (all during the same time period using the 2170 battery cell made at the Gigafactory). Who is lying?

Neither, I think you need to time along your data points.
When the 3 production rate was behind schedule, Panasonic had a glut of cells and equipment roll out was delayed. Then the 3 production took off and 2ish GF1 TE lines converted to vehicle cells to meet demand. Then one of the three new cell lines was installed and GF1 reverted the production back to TE cells on the repurposed lines.

Since then one or two more new cell lines should have been commissioned.

I wonder what went wrong.

Ye, cannae change the laws of physics...
Guessing an issue with connection torque or cooling flow (maybe dielectric if they are running 800V).

I would concur that my service experiences at the Service Center in Toronto were top notch. Getting a hold of someone on the phone or response by email does take time though.

Will also concur about Toronto. Service has been excellent for 6 years in the Greater Toronto area, although long gone are the early days when you could hold the light for the technician while he fixed your charge port. Much more by the book now.

If I heard them right, an employee mentioned that the Lawrence service location was ranked second in North America for customer satisfaction.

Also had my first ranger service at my work for a door handle issue. If they can do more of that they will please many. Amazing customer experience.

You know what else is public? When famous youtubers with hundreds of thousands of millions of subscribers documenting these problems.

This needs to be addressed ASAP. Hiding this stuff doesn't work.
Maybe a day late and a dollar short so far but it seems like they are starting to pay attention.

Last edited:
The charging cables get too hot. Which is amazing because there are no cars pulling full power out there yet. So they are not even able to do what Tesla does even though they claim twice as much is possible.

Interesting. They obviously do not have capability to limit consumption via the air. It is going to be hardware update when they test suitable solution I suppose. Let us monitor how long they will need for update. Looks like old business model/uncompetitive.

Someone gets it....

(...) Manfred Schoch, deputy chairman of the supervisory board at BMW, has publicly critiqued BMW’s rejection of battery cell R&D, basing his assessment on the model of innovation and vision that Tesla CEO Elon Musk has established for his automotive company. (...)

BMW Exec Bemoans Company's Failure To Keep Pace With Tesla's Battery Cell Production | CleanTechnica

I am positively surprised that a BMW Board member speaks out the truth and I hope others are listening!

Good point for mental workout. I see that Manfred has a will to follow Tesla. He discovered now that battery cell R&D is missing. That is good part in learning curve. If he is right person he will find out that a lot of other thing is missing as well. List of that is pretty long. Beside that they will have to change their supply chain. Better solution (profits) would be to do it internally. By the end of the day they have to recognise what is missing, where to get missing, how to add this on competitive level. This means complete reorganisation of BMW and his supply chain. Reorganisation means that you lay off the people with unpropper competences and hire people with needed skills. Remember what Tesla is doing when they hire/layoff/hire/layoff people?

After that transformation you could expect that the gap between Tesla and BMW will stop to increase so quickly. If I remember well BMW has 100B debt done by ICE. Taking all into account I reconfirm my belief that major part of ICE producers will not make it.

Which ICE will fall first already during the global market decrease which will hit before EV transition?

I guess you are now loaded with calls ? What did you get ?

I have a mix, although there will be some rolling and consolidating on the 30th before the ER. Some are further away (as far as 6 months) and at lower strikes (as low as $250), and some stock, but most common is 22 Feb, at $300 and $350. They were initially 15 Feb but I moved them back a week (and consolidated my then-$330s and $360s into the $350s) when I wasn't sure when the ER was going to be (the rollback turned out to be a good move, even though the ER was early). I plan to roll the $350s forward to 15 Feb at a lower strike on the 30th. A fair chunk of the $300s were purchased when the stock was in the $282-$293 range (funded by selling stock), and their rise has helped compensate for the losses in my older $300s, but obviously the $350s have been big money losers (mainly purchased at "lows" between the upper $330s and upper $350s)

Not worth the stress. :Þ And it's not going to end with the ER. Regardless of the results I'm going to have to be reevaluating my position daily to decide when to roll (since market reaction to the ER won't be over just in one day), and how. It's always been my plan to get out of shorter-term calls after Q4, and this just reinforces it. Too much heartburn.

Last edited:
Lets imagine altogether for a minute that Tesla would release the Y and allow test drives but the car is not delivered yet but all videos someone records are by NDA not allowed to be published 4 weeks after the first car is delivered.

What would the media say?
What would the Analysts say?
What would you think about it?

I am severely disappointed and can only say its a sign of strong weakness and really bad behaviors undermining all trust and credibility and an incredible slap in the face of everybody who considers to buy an Audi e-tron.

To be frank, if I would consider to buy it and until today I thought its a good car I would hold back until that bann is lifted.

Wow, what total BS! That gives one message to me, Audi are afraid of what will be said and if I were a prospective buyer I would hold off.

Greta is, great! Showing more leadership on the subject than all the politicians of the world combined.

I keep trying to get my kids to follow her as a role-model instead of the vapid pop-stars they idolise.
Yes, this was also all over the news here. She probably got more airtime than the politicians.

Wow, what total BS! That gives one message to me, Audi are afraid of what will be said and if I were a prospective buyer I would hold off.

This is standard operating procedure among all automotive OEM, and apparently other industries as well.

Watch when a new car release happens, all the automotive youtubers release their review within 24 hrs most within a couple of hours.