Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my only fear. Tesla so far has made only "urban cruisers" which can't take any real abuse. A proper pickup needs to be able to be abused. E.g. you might scratch or dent it, but you're not going to break a trim clip or drive a large rock into the battery pack. Current design approaches just don't suffice.
I agree that Teslas aren't made to take serious abuse like a large or sharp rock into the battery pack. In practice, though, the Model S and X (and maybe the 3) do just fine on rocky dirt roads as long as you watch your ground clearance. Most people with expensive ICE trucks don't want to tear up the underside, either.

Tesla could sell the option of an extra strong underbody plate, below the battery pack, but there would be a weight penalty and probably the need for additional crash testing. I don't see this happening anytime soon, however.

Yeah, and I love the utilitarian, off-road design language of both of them.

Wouldn't want to be hit by those barely street legal grill guards though, I suppose at NCAP testing they don't award any negative stars for pedestrian protection? They really should.

"Bull Bars" I would call those and yes, they're lethal to pedestrians, anyone that has them fitted in a city car should get a good slapping.

I think now would be a great time for Tesla to purchase Panasonic's cylindrical battery business. I think its very clear to Panasonic by now that this is no longer a long term growth business as Tesla is refusing to give them contracts for expansion beyond the initial 35GWh. Panasonic also have no other customers for cylindrical batteries. A disposal is an easy way for Panasonic to "address" the Tesla operating losses, while for Tesla it will make it much easier to use Panasonic's GF1 staff to ramp up Tesla's in-house cell production, reduce the risk of IP disputes and make it easier to upgrade Panasonic's equipment with Tesla's cell design improvements when they are ready. Panasonic's whole business is obviously under a lot of pressure operationally and market cap is now just $20bn, I think Tesla could get a good deal on the battery business right now, maybe a combination of cash and stock. Panasonic did note on the call that they have "further business portfolio reform going on, but its not something they are allowed to disclose now" - really this could refer to anything, but I'm hopeful its a Tesla deal.

The more I think about this, the more I'm convincing myself this acquisition is very likely to happen, at least for the GF1 US business (the Japan S/X factory maybe unlikely).

Panasonic has invested $1.6bn in GF1 capex. I guess it also has cumulative cash operating losses at GF1 of around $0.5bn? It may have invested some working capital too, let's say $0.2bn? (Tesla payables to Panasonic will be higher, but Panasonic has its own payables to suppliers). Then the remaining value in this business is the staff experience and manufacturing IP. The value of this part is very different for Tesla vs Panasonic. Assuming Panasonic knows Tesla plans to make cells for Model Y and future expansion in-house, it knows it is never going to get the scale to make its GF1 business significantly profitable - so discounted cash flow value of this IP is actually very low to Panasonic (unless they think they can sue Tesla for IP theft). For Tesla however, Panasonic's GF1 staff experience and parts of their manufacturing IP are likely very valuable (though parts of the IP will probably be substituted out with products from Tesla's R&D lab), particularly given the scale of its future ambitions and how much this acquisition could lower execution risk with cell ramp for Model Y.
Tesla looks in the stronger negotiating position here to me. Tesla will likely just go it alone with cell production if Panasonic don't sell up (possibly at risk of some lawsuits). If Tesla offers $2.5-3bn for Panasonic's GF1 business I can see Panasonic accepting (around 15% of Panasonic's market cap for a business with annualised EBIT at more than negative $200m with no obvious prospects for significant future cash generation).

If this is part of Tesla's plan, then they want to get the acquisition closed before they start to ramp their own new cell capacity for Model Y and before their March battery investor day. Given M&A can take time to close, then a deal announcement could be due very soon. Of course only if i'm not just going crazy with meritless speculation!

Last edited:
Well that dip got gobbled right TF up. Thought my $240 calls might have been spared.
No kidding. I noticed the spike down into the 230s, but by the time I put in a limit order to buy a bit more, it was already back above $240! It appears that someone is soaking up every relatively cheap share that they can get.