Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon’s comment just meant that towards 100% of Tesla’s costs are for producing, selling and servicing its cars. As their business plan is for the majority of lifetime profit from each of these cars to come from Robotaxi revenue, then all of the auto costs incurred today are investments in this future Robotaxi business.
Making cars is just as important as ever, as are Pickup and Semi, which are also planned to be Robotaxi products.

Model 3 production next year should be over 500k, Y production will be on top of this. Model Y does not share the Model 3 production line and will not reduce Model 3 production capacity. There is no arbitrary absolute limit to Fremont capacity, Tesla are producing Model Y there because they can fit the new capacity there.

Would model Y not cannibalize some model 3 sales? Is there a sustained demand for 500,000 model 3’s if model Y is available as well?

Curious if anyone has seen data on Tesla sales in Canada for 2019. Hard numbers to find.

In my past experience with TSLA, when the sentiment here turns broadly negative, the stock usually runs up soon after. Maybe it's that the negative bears don't feel like they need to say much when even the longs are getting tetchy? Anyway, I just bought some more.

Someone said that ETrade raised their margin requirement from 45% to 55%? That's weird, I use ETrade and it's quoting me 35%.

Y’all are getting riled up with the Walmart roof nothingburger. How do you guys expect TSLA to rocket to Mars without burning down some roofs? Screw Walmart FUD! Barely any volume on today’s drop btw. I’m more concerned about Advanced/Enhanced/Smart Summon delays

I’m amazed anyone cares about this Summon gimmick. I did not buy a Tesla EV because I wanted to summon the car.

Y’all are getting riled up with the Walmart roof nothingburger. How do you guys expect TSLA to rocket to Mars without burning down some roofs? Screw Walmart FUD! Barely any volume on today’s drop btw. I’m more concerned about Advanced/Enhanced/Smart Summon delays
Solar is currently a minor part of Tesla's overall business, and Walmart surely represents only a small fraction of Tesla's solar installations. Further, it seems that most or all of the Walmart work was done under the old SolarCity regime, and it appears that Tesla has since made changes for the better. I'm not worried that this is going to turn into a giant legal liability for Tesla.

What bothers me is that Tesla allowed the Walmart issues to turn into a lawsuit. It seems that Tesla had ample warning that a big-name customer was very unhappy. Everything possible should have been done to address Walmart's legitimate concerns. I am worried that, across the business, Tesla is not sufficiently prioritizing its customer relationships. Telling vehicle customers to use the app instead of answering their phone calls seems to be another symptom of this.

In my past experience with TSLA, when the sentiment here turns broadly negative, the stock usually runs up soon after. Maybe it's that the negative bears don't feel like they need to say much when even the longs are getting tetchy? Anyway, I just bought some more.
I hope you are right. I would like to see Tesla announce that they are going to re-inspect, using qualified technicians, every single solar installation under their purview, and correct any and all installation-related issues that are discovered. Moves like this would help to restore confidence, not just in the solar business, but across all business lines.

Would model Y not cannibalize some model 3 sales? Is there a sustained demand for 500,000 model 3’s if model Y is available as well?

Yes there will definitely be some potential Model 3 buyers buying Model Y instead, but this doesn’t necessarily mean Tesla will sell less 3s - word of mouth marketing will continue to increase, increasing awareness of Model 3 and increasing Tesla’s aware addressable market.

I think Tesla will do whatever it takes to keep 3/Y sales at full production capacity - whether it is more service centres/superchargers, new countries, new options, new pricing, better leasing, fleet sales, advertising etc.

Eventually Elon will realize that the issue is he’s delusional on FSD timeline and stop firing so many talented people
He might be delusional on the timelines, but I don’t think he fires talented people

And I think he is “knowingly” delusional on his timelines. He hypes people up to sell more cars. It’s not a bad thing if you think about it. People who buy the car for FSD and tech can’t complain since they are getting the BEST car on the market. They aren’t going to get super pissed and sell their car for a BMW because FSD updates are delayed. There is no competition. They are locked into Tesla. Kinda kinky

(As an investor, I’m still pissed with the damn release dates, stop trolling me Elon)

Last edited:
I just sold about 21% of our TSLA shares and might end up selling more. I really, really don't like what's happening with Walmart, and I still have concerns about vehicle service communication, so I figured it's probably safest to trim back our TSLA position. We really want Tesla to succeed, and we see great potential for Tesla to disrupt multiple industries while benefiting humankind. But customer relationships, large and small, need to be better cared for.

In my opinion its a huge mistake to buy or sell on the news you mentioned.

If you want to understand why listen to Ron Baron. Success matters.
Why Ron Baron is betting on his long-term Tesla investment

Steve Jobs Ghost on Twitter

Last edited:
What bothers me is that Tesla allowed the Walmart issues to turn into a lawsuit. It seems that Tesla had ample warning that a big-name customer was very unhappy. Everything possible should have been done to address Walmart's legitimate concerns.

How do you know Walmart’s concerns are legitimate? How do you know Tesla did not do everything it could to keep a big customer happy?

Maybe Walmart’s demands were unreasonable. Asking for removal of all 200 systems could surely qualify as being unreasonable. Maybe Walmart simply wants to get rid of these systems for other reasons. Who knows?

This board is drawing a lot of harsh conclusions based on only one side of the story.

For those who are completely dismissing the Walmart issue as oil-backed FUD, here are some reasons why I wouldn't discredit the suit:
*not accurate representation of what Tesla Energy is now as some of the reviews were from pre-Tesla SolarCity, but many issues, particularly communications, still exist.

- Yelp https://www.yelp.com/biz/tesla-fremont-2?osq=Tesla+solar
- Solarreviews Tesla / SolarCity solar reviews, complaints, address & solar panels cost
- Consumer affairs Top 573 Reviews and Complaints about SolarCity

I can't imagine all these people are backed by big oil to spread FUD about Tesla solar.

By the way, in case anyone is looking into solar and wants some feedback, my decision for not using Tesla include:
  • back when I was deciding, and even today, you do not know which panels you will get (although, many installs seem to be with Tesla's own nowadays). Tesla is still using a mix of Tesla, Hanwha Q, Kyocera, Yingli, Trina, in this specific order of utilization
  • Tesla/Solarcity since SC acquired Zep are using rail-less mounts. These are much cheaper and proprietary, compared to rails from the likes of Iron Ridge. Combining these cheap rail-less mounts with inexperienced crews, is not something I wanted on top of my roof.
  • Tesla installs skirts at the bottom of panels to make them visibly more appealing, but these will make it a pain to clean underneath the panels if you ever needed/wanted to since you can't access underneath from the bottom
I’ve been following solarcity and solar in general since 2012 and still remember the “yelp review” tactic their installer competitors used to point out on the forum early days. ( remember, solarcity had installed 100s of thousands of solar l, breaking all records in American history) They then would give out their business info and hustle for customers. Hey, dont hate the player, hate the game, right? If your #1, expect to get attacked.

As far as “big oil” if something happens to a competitor such as Tesla, you capitalize. The Walmart lawsuit exists and is out there now, why wouldn’t you not pump it up if it hurts your competition?

Dismissing the case is stupid. Giving Tesla a fair chance at disputing it is balanced as an investor. Given the intense FUD history around Tesla, we must continually be vigilant to what the real story is here.

Worse then dismissing it is believing the same interests and media outlets telling us Tesla was going to be bankrupt, and having no demand quarter after quarter, are now giving us the highlights to Walmart’s lawsuit, which has redacted all Tesla’s responses in its filings.

Why should we treat this situation with any less critism and pause then we do for what they put out about Tesla Motors on the daily?

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 3.22.11 PM.png
Someone said that ETrade raised their margin requirement from 45% to 55%? That's weird, I use ETrade and it's quoting me 35%.
Yes, they sent me a notification on my phone saying the requirement raised from 45 to 55, then the next day called me to inform me of the same and also told me I'd been flagged for a large margin call, but that "it must have been based on an earlier balance because you're all good right now" (it couldn't have been based on an earlier balance).

Somebody else mentioned their broker had raised from 45-55 too

Furthermore, on the 16th is when I received the same type of notification about raising the requirement from 35 to 45

Last edited:
  • Tesla installs skirts at the bottom of panels to make them visibly more appealing, but these will make it a pain to clean underneath the panels if you ever needed/wanted to since you can't access underneath from the bottom
This is actually better. With SC panels I had pigeons nesting under panels and poop and branches rolling down all the time from the roof and coming out from downspouts. Tesla had to install netting around panels to stop this.

The installation Vincent posted on twitter looks sleek and would take care of this problem. You don't want to climb to the roof to do the cleaning yourself.

And how did Autonomy Day pan out? Another dud.
What kind of BS is this? The 'estimate' was feature complete by EOY. Is it EOY yet?

Curious if anyone has seen data on Tesla sales in Canada for 2019. Hard numbers to find.
If FSD pans out, M3 will be a cheaper robotaxi, no reason to pay more for this.

• Informative
Reactions: Foghat
In my opinion its a huge mistake to buy or sell on the news you mentioned.

If you want to understand why listen to Ron Baron. Success matters.
Why Ron Baron is betting on his long-term Tesla investment
One difference between Ron Baron and me is that Tesla is currently Mr. Baron's 13th largest investment, while Tesla remains by far my largest single equity investment. While I'm not going to completely bail as @neroden appears to have done, I'm okay with somewhat less potential upside in exchange for reduced risk. If my TSLA position were more "normal" sized, relative to my overall assets, I certainly wouldn't consider selling any shares. Also, I didn't mention that, in addition to shares, I have some short puts that I sold. By virtue of at least one of those puts, I may end up buying some shares back if the price drops further.

I’m amazed anyone cares about this Summon gimmick. I did not buy a Tesla EV because I wanted to summon the car.

It's because to summon Tesla needs to implement many of the features needed by FSD. Only when summoning it's happening at slow speed. So a more manageable speed to test the FSD functions in.

When Advanced Summon works then Tesla is a big step closer to FSD.

Stuart Bowers is very talented
And how do you know Musk fired him? The fact that he picked up a job at another company? That's... pretty weak. I've seen other comments here about him being "forced out" and I don't know what facts those are based on, but I do know that Musk is very willing to outright fire individuals -- no matter how talented -- if they do not produce results and I've yet to see news that Stuart Bowers was fired.

One can argue about the effect this has on morale, but the reality is that Musk gets results. He was told that the StarLink launch could not happen on schedule. He disagreed, and after the dust settled (with some engineers having to look for a new job) the StarLink launch did happen.

He is just as serious about FSD, and if you can't produce results you'd better be able to demonstrate effectiveness in your job or you will be fired. The indications are that Stuart Bowers was not fired, but that he "pursued other opportunities." If that is in fact what happened then he knew his days at Tesla were numbered, but it is also possible that his valuable work experience got him a better paying job with a whole lot less stress.

Blue Origin has tried the "steal SpaceX tech and poach the employees" but hasn't yet become a competitor to SpaceX. The same has been tried against Tesla, and so far with similar lack of results. Tesla may be a pressure cooker to work at, but it is a pressure cooker that gets results.

9EFB13C7-1964-4229-B6FF-931FCCF738D5.png

I think Musk is betting a lot more on Robotaxi than people realize. He believes robotaxi economics will transform Tesla from a struggling carmaker into a true tech giant. And wow-ing people with self-driving is a lot more fun than grinding away at the "Game of Pennies". During Autonomy Day he said 100% of their spending was directed at FSD. That's not literally true, but he meant what he said. Roadster, Semi and Pickup are no longer priorities.

I am a robotaxi agnostic who believes Tesla is destined for greatness, largely because of the game of pennies.

I have played the game of pennies myself, in the procedural advertising business 20 years ago. We reduced the time it took to produce the average ad from 20 mins to 3 mins, shaving a few seconds here and a few seconds there. It was a gold mine while it lasted (until smart phones killed newspapers). A key ingredient is staff that really want the company to succeed. The change has to be embraced by staff, not thrust upon them. I see that in Tesla. Not so much in legacy car makers.

Tesla is in a fantastic position, cash flow positive and with pretty high and growing model 3 sales. Every dollar now shaved from the process is multiplied by 7 thousand per week and falls to the bottom line. And there are thousands of ways to shave a dollar, and a few ways to shave a fistful of dollars (new wiring harness, frame casting, dry battery electrode). In between there are likely dozens of ways to shave tens of dollars.

Most unwise to underestimate the potential of the game of pennies to deliver large profits.