Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know Walmart’s concerns are legitimate? How do you know Tesla did not do everything it could to keep a big customer happy?

Maybe Walmart’s demands were unreasonable. Asking for removal of all 200 systems could surely qualify as being unreasonable. Maybe Walmart simply wants to get rid of these systems for other reasons. Who knows?

This board is drawing a lot of harsh conclusions based on only one side of the story.

To be fair to the detractors on this board, Tesla hasn't yet put forth its side -- which is part of why the criticisms are being levied in the first place.

Reactions: JRP3 and humbaba
How do you know Walmart’s concerns are legitimate? How do you know Tesla did not do everything it could to keep a big customer happy?

Maybe Walmart’s demands were unreasonable. Asking for removal of all 200 systems could surely qualify as being unreasonable. Maybe Walmart simply wants to get rid of these systems for other reasons. Who knows?

This board is drawing a lot of harsh conclusions based on only one side of the story.
Walmart did not ask for system removal after the third fire. Only after years of SC/Tesla not doing its job did it turn into this. In any case, after the 3'rd fire, Tesla should have rewired all of those systems or at least looked at them VERY closely. That would have been the end of this story and Tesla might have lost 1-3 million. After the 4'th fire, I would have wanted all of the systems removed too. And Tesla should have done that as well. Eat the loss and move on. Pay out for the damages. But no, they stonewalled leading us to this train wreck.

I believe that early adopter (software updates->advanced) is at the front of a wide release, i.e. might start getting updates @4weeks as per communications above and it might take couple of weeks(based on geography/other), after which the rest of the fleet gets it, which takes another couple of weeks and so, takes 8 weeks for the last in line.

But they really shouldn't expose this internal mechanics, with the original statement it kinda sounds like it might take 8 weeks for everybody.

This isn't a science, it's a guestimate. It might be three weeks, it might not be until Christmas. They will release it when it's performing to their standards, not a minute sooner. No one knows when this will be, not even the head of the development team. They could have it working seeming perfectly as could be expected and then it runs over a dog owned by one of the early adopters. No one can predict when it will be ready for wide release, it's just a guesstimate so there is no point in parsing the statements to try to pin down the week it will undergo wide release.

No, but when you pull your car out of the garage standing there with your phone, neighbors, friends, enemies, everyone takes notice. It’s almost as if you can’t believe it’s happening, no one ever thought a car could do this. It’s the “jaw-drop” moment.

From kids to adults, they all begin dreaming about doing that themselves. It’s not only the future of autonomous driving, it’s also an amazing sales tool, whether by design or not.
Visiting a friend the circumstances required that I park behind him in the driveway. When he left he just backed around my car. On return he said, "you'll need to move it" so I whipped out the phone and rolled it back into the street. He pulled in and I returned it. That maneuver impressed him at least as much as when he was in the car.

At home the carport is kinda awkward and you can't pull partway in and still get out. But sometimes you can't be all the way in due to the grill at the back. After getting home one day my wife started up the grill so I rolled the car forward without thinking about it. Later, when I went to leave, I realized I could not get in the car. So I rolled it the rest of the way out of the carport.

Or someone decides to park right next to my car making it difficult to open the door enough to get in. No problem, roll it out of the spot and done. One of my co-workers asked me about Tesla after seeing me do this a few times.

Summon gives you flexibility that you don't have without it. And you get used to it so fast. I can't wait for advanced summon to open up even more convenience. For example, coming to me so I don't have to walk a hundred yards through driving rain to get to my car. Yeah, you can use an umbrella, but sometimes you forget. Or have to carry things. Or the wind is blowing too hard.

Don't stop there, sell it all. Go big or go home. If it's not good enough for the 20% you sold, just sell the other 80% and be done with it.
Don't be silly. I assume you're familiar with probability distributions? As a retail investor, I have no way of knowing for sure what the future holds for a given company or stock. Ideally, the proportion of my assets invested in a given company will at least roughly match the level of risk I'm willing to accept in connection with that company. I'm obviously still willing to accept a lot of risk with Tesla (and we own multiple Tesla products).

In any case, after the 3'rd fire, Tesla should have rewired all of those systems or at least looked at them VERY closely. That would have been the end of this story and Tesla might have lost 1-3 million.

You are not privy to enough details and facts to make such silly statements.

Hint: A filing for a lawsuit has CLAIMED facts, not ESTABLISHED facts.

Agree. The electrical car/ spacex rockets are engineering problems, though very complicated, that can be solved by properly organizing and pressing a group of talented engineers. driven by consumer electronics needs, the Lion battery technology had matured to a point that battery powered cars became feasible . The rockets technology had been developped/refined by nasa/governments for decades. EM was very smart to spot the opportunities, put all the resources/knowhows/technologies together to make electrical cars mass market products/ rockets recycleable/less expensive. These were amazing achievements but the fundamental technologies were there. They were difficult problem but with clear boundaries. The harder you push, the higher chance it got solved.

However, autonomous driving and AI is not a pure engineering problem. There are still a lot of fundamental questions to be answered, on hardware and software side. Pressing employess hard would not necessarily get you to break the barriers.

But I work in related areas, my opinion on this is biased. if the current ML algorithms/hardware platform is truly powerful enough to enable self driving then it becomes an engineering problem. tesla's fast paced team may have a chance to nail it. nonetherless, even this problem is not fully solved, tesla will have an edge on driver assistance technology to its peers.

Eventually Elon will realize that the issue is he’s delusional on FSD timeline and stop firing so many talented people

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3
You are not privy to enough details and facts to make such silly statements.

Hint: A filing for a lawsuit has CLAIMED facts, not ESTABLISHED facts.
Read this.

Walmart Inc v Tesla Energy | Solar City | Solar Cell

Look at it. Its over 100 pages, but its pretty damning. Photos. Timelines. And surprisingly few demands from Walmart other then fixing it and paying for expenses.

No, Tesla has not put forth their side. But looking at what I see so far, Tesla has performed VERY badly. Do not mistake me for a short or a troll, I have a good amount of Tesla stock. I thoroughly believe in the future of Tesla, but am deeply disappointed when they make COSTLY mistakes like this. SC was a trainwreck. But the bleeding on this issue (Walmart) could have stopped a while ago. It looks like Tesla has just brushed this aside and certainly has not gone to each site and given it a re-do like they should. They have treated this like they have treated the worst of automotive customers.

Don't stop there, sell it all. Go big or go home. If it's not good enough for the 20% you sold, just sell the other 80% and be done with it.

Ok, this is silly. There are valid reasons to reduce but not entirely eliminate a position in an investment. Most of us make investments based on expected value at a certain point in the future, based on our expectations of probable outcomes. If the probability of a bad outcome appears to increase enough, without actually going to 100%, it may make sense to sell some of the position in that investment. It doesn’t mean you think that investment absolutely will fall on its face, just that you’re protecting yourself from what you see as an increased probability of failure.

And how do you know Musk fired him? The fact that he picked up a job at another company? That's... pretty weak. I've seen other comments here about him being "forced out" and I don't know what facts those are based on, but I do know that Musk is very willing to outright fire individuals -- no matter how talented -- if they do not produce results and I've yet to see news that Stuart Bowers was fired.

One can argue about the effect this has on morale, but the reality is that Musk gets results. He was told that the StarLink launch could not happen on schedule. He disagreed, and after the dust settled (with some engineers having to look for a new job) the StarLink launch did happen.

He is just as serious about FSD, and if you can't produce results you'd better be able to demonstrate effectiveness in your job or you will be fired. The indications are that Stuart Bowers was not fired, but that he "pursued other opportunities." If that is in fact what happened then he knew his days at Tesla were numbered, but it is also possible that his valuable work experience got him a better paying job with a whole lot less stress.

Blue Origin has tried the "steal SpaceX tech and poach the employees" but hasn't yet become a competitor to SpaceX. The same has been tried against Tesla, and so far with similar lack of results. Tesla may be a pressure cooker to work at, but it is a pressure cooker that gets results.

Elon has been wrong about AP progress how many times now? When will people understand he is straight up delusional about AP related timelines. Enhanced Summon is a great example. Approaching almost a year since it was 2-4 weeks ago according to Musk

Stuart Bowers is very talented
Not according to this poster Tesla restructures Autopilot software team, Elon takes the reins : teslamotors

I posted in another thread and got downvoted to hell (of course). I worked with Stuart at 2 of his previous 3 companies. The guy is a fraud. He lied about the degree of his seniority at Facebook and he parlayed that into Snap (which he lied about his seniority there too). Then, he parlayed that into Tesla where he got a legit title. I was blown away Elon decided to hire him after seeing his work (and honestly, how junior he actually was). Only 12 total years and a VP of a major tech company would require some serious chops.

Maybe people will believe me now. /shrug

Elon has been wrong about AP progress how many times now? When will people understand he is straight up delusional about AP related timelines. Enhanced Summon is a great example. Approaching almost a year since it was 2-4 weeks ago according to Musk

Probably true. But still... my almost three year old Model S has been driving me to work and back most of the way on its own for a while now; something no other consumer-available vehicle can even remotely come close to. The second best can, in total, follow lane lines on some freeways sometimes.

Not unless there's a secret factory under construction somewhere.

I think Musk is betting a lot more on Robotaxi than people realize. He believes robotaxi economics will transform Tesla from a struggling carmaker into a true tech giant. And wow-ing people with self-driving is a lot more fun than grinding away at the "Game of Pennies". During Autonomy Day he said 100% of their spending was directed at FSD. That's not literally true, but he meant what he said. Roadster, Semi and Pickup are no longer priorities.
In the art of war you are advised to speak powerfully when you are weak and humbly when strong. Elon has not said a word about Shanghai but has been chatty about FSD. Maybe it’s more work then he wants to admit, or he’s just softening up the world to get ready for self driving.
I’d guess Tesla will find some more magic beans to grow another plant by sometime in 2021. They’re also expanding production in Fremont, as already announced. Likely by consolidating SX production line and moving any remaining SX cell pack assembly. Somehow they’re planning to build the Y in Fremont and a Y line in Shanghai, so somehow they plan on growing past the current 500,000 limit in Fremont. With just Fremont and full production Shanghai that’s close to 30,000 cars a week. That would work for me.

Read this.

Walmart Inc v Tesla Energy | Solar City | Solar Cell

Look at it. Its over 100 pages, but its pretty damning. Photos. Timelines. And surprisingly few demands from Walmart other then fixing it and paying for expenses.

No, Tesla has not put forth their side. But looking at what I see so far, Tesla has performed VERY badly. Do not mistake me for a short or a troll, I have a good amount of Tesla stock. I thoroughly believe in the future of Tesla, but am deeply disappointed when they make COSTLY mistakes like this. SC was a trainwreck. But the bleeding on this issue (Walmart) could have stopped a while ago. It looks like Tesla has just brushed this aside and certainly has not gone to each site and given it a re-do like they should. They have treated this like they have treated the worst of automotive customers.

What he said. It's true that we won't know the full story until we see Tesla's response filing. But what Walmart has claimed is clearly an extremely poorly-managed relationship by Tesla with a large customer whose Tesla-installed locations were literally burning. And that relationship was poorly managed over the course of years.

This is not to say that Tesla wasn't working behind the scenes to repair the situation, or that Tesla doesn't have a reasonable explanation for the conflagrations. But the filing rings true to me, having followed Tesla for nearly a decade and having watched them perform the same gross mismanagement of relationships with customers across their businesses for the majority of that time. (See the ridiculous fiasco of the S/X yellowing screens being called a wear item for one recent, ongoing example.)

Tesla's track record is terrible communication. Walmart claims terrible communication. Benefit of the doubt is earned, and Tesla doesn't get it for that particular claim. I'm not drawing any conclusions on the root cause of the fires. Just expressing that it seems clear to me that Tesla dropped the [bowling] ball on their foot with how they handled this thus far.

Those who follow me know better than to claim anything but Tesla support coming from me. Hell, Tesla Energy is installing panels on my roof tomorrow. But they're not infallible, and they routinely make mistakes. This is clearly one of those mistakes, even if Tesla is ultimately largely cleared with regard to the cause of the fires.

The irrational fanatical fanboyism here has gotten far out of control lately. I miss @neroden, @DaveT, etc.

I’m amazed anyone cares about this Summon gimmick. I did not buy a Tesla EV because I wanted to summon the car.

I bought the car because I am old. Due to the paucity of disabled parking and old age diseases like arthritis, sarcopenia, and spinal stenosis, I'm inflexible and losing mobility. I wish you and others better outcomes when you are 83, then it might be just a gimmick still. But later...? Think long term in investing in vehicles as well as the stock. Advices. Among his other virtues—not a white nationalist—Elon is not agist thinking about the young or the old. Falcon wing doors might be considered a gimmick too.

Last edited:

To back that up the thing most likely to shift the stock one way or another in the medium term is Battery Investor Day.

I will not be surprised if the Walmart issue drops off the radar and does not surface again before battery investor day.

Except for helpful reminders for Shorts and the Media to jog our memory,

It is an unresolved risk but IMO 1%, while Battery Investor Day is potentially 20%, 1% and 20% are weightings, not predictions on price movements..

What I guess is happening is Tesla are preparing their legal response, it will be a long response and most of all of what Walmart stated will be questioned on some level... I don't know how long Tesla has to respond or when we will know more, but not before Battery Investor Day would not surprise me.

As well, Tesla and Walmart could be negotiating a settlement, the Walmart filing could just be a robust negotiation tactic. Walmart will want to settle, as they will want to do business with Tesla in future,,

If Tesla has a good response, and sees this as a pressing issue, we might get it sooner... or if it is settled we might just have the issue drop off the radar and never resurface..

Communication, Service and Customer Service are obviously still a work in progress, I would welcome progress on that before Battery Investor Day,.

Last edited: