Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla only gets 15% commission as broker.
State National is a fronting company--it rakes cream from underwriting, administration and claims handling but takes little, if any, of the risk. The "re-insurers" are also very experienced and will structure the program to assure they are not bag-holders in the event the underwriting was overly optimistic. Too much focus on the collision coverage while the real risk is the liability exposures which can incur the Yuge jury awards.

State National is a fronting company--it rakes cream from underwriting, administration and claims handling but takes little, if any, of the risk. The "re-insurers" are also very experienced and will structure the program to assure they are not bag-holders in the event the underwriting was overly optimistic. Too much focus on the collision coverage while the real risk is the liability exposures which can incur the Yuge jury awards.
Isn’t there a limit on liability coverage?

Reactions: RobStark
Holy cow this is a SERIOUSLY good point. Software replacement cost is zero. If 25% of your car value is the software(for example), the cost of insuring a complete write off is 25% lower than a normal car.

This is a HUGE advantage in shifting cars from hardware-bias to software-bias. Maybe not specifically a big tesla advantage until they have more software and closer to FSD, but as long as they have an edge in software, that effectively gives them an identical edge in insurance. (depending what percentage of the average insurance payout is car repairs... likely much higher outside the US where medical/legal costs of accidents are way lower).

Agree. If Tesla went to a subscription model for software components, this issue would evaporate. When you total your car, only the physical elements need to be replaced. The software can be downloaded from the cloud and the subscription resumes. It could also reduce the upfront cost of the car and may avoid some forms of taxation or evade price limits certain incentives.

Reactions: EVNow and PaulusdB
When they open the orders - again, hoping it's the same 9/9 date that they open the store! - it'll be AWD white (was going to be black until they changed what comes free!) standard-interior non-FSD with tow. :) I expect this to be a very popular config here.

I can imagine Icelandic roads aren't particularly FSD-able, at least in the near-mid term...

So you're not going to the country manager? Colour me disappointed!

Reactions: Lessmog
I can imagine Icelandic roads aren't particularly FSD-able, at least in the near-mid term...

So you're not going to the country manager? Colour me disappointed!

They've got their own sheep in this field. ;)

Re, FSD: The Ring Road and other paved roads are quite good - although the driver will have to be watching for sheep until the software learns to recognize them as a threat and read their intent in the way a human would. The non-paved roads, however, could be... problematic. And there's a lot of them.

We also have some pretty fearsome winter driving conditions. Not abnormally cold, but dark, wet, and extremely windy (long, too).

Isn’t there a limit on liability coverage?
Yes, but the insured is not protected by the policy's limits. Check the Declarations Page of your policy and compare the premiums for Liability vs Physical Damage coverages. Physical Damage exposure is essentially the replacement cost of the vehicle. Liability exposure is what ever a jury might decide, including punitive damages The insureds Net Worth is on the line once the policy's Liability limits are exceeded. Consequently, most purchasers of Tesla vehicles have an umbrella policy. Umbrella policies are generally multi-line; and, most often, configured by experienced, professional agents/brokers who understand the insurance markets for individuals so they craft integrated, comprehensive protection plans for the lowest overall premiums.

Carving off and dabbling in a single line (Automobile Insurance) in a single jurisdiction (California) because of BIG DATA may be disruptive but it is unlikely to be profitable nor in the best interest of the insureds. Tesla should stick to its core competencies.

When they open the orders - again, hoping it's the same 9/9 date that they open the store! - it'll be AWD white (was going to be black until they changed what comes free!) standard-interior non-FSD with tow. :) I expect this to be a very popular config here.
I don't know, you may lose white in the snow.
I'd get black, you may be able to warm up in it if the sun makes it out.

Especially the toxic males (aka Rams).

The worst case is actually when you have a lamb on one side and a ewe on the other. The lamb will almost invariably cross the road to run to its mother when you approach.

FSD needs to learn these sort of things to be safe around sheep. Thankfully, the way that they teach it means that a human doesn't need to tell it all of the rules. But it does mean that they have to amass a critical mass of sheep-related training data, and human-label a sufficient percentage of it for autolabeling to be able to handle the rest.

Last edited:
The biggest thing is that Tesla keeps reducing COGS dramatically every quarter. They actually did an impressive job of keeping margins up while ASP plunged, due to COGS improvements. The problem has been that even with constant margins, a drop in ASP means significantly lower revenue to offset your fixed costs. The solution is simply: grow volume and/or reduce COGS faster than any ASP drops work against you. ;)

The COGS reduction should be so obvious, yet it flies past most people (shorts in particular never seem to anticipate it). How is Tesla making more vehicles? Are they hiring a linearly-greater number of people and building a linearly-greater number of production lines? Not even remotely; both are holding nearly constant. They're just making vehicles (and components, such as battery packs) more efficiently and with lower scrappage rates. If you're making a greater number of vehicles, but significant fractions of your costs are remaining constant, then COGS is declining significantly. It's pretty much a given.

The worst case is actually when you have a lamb on one side and a ewe on the other. The lamb will almost invariably cross the road to run to its mother when you approach.

FSD needs to learn these sort of things to be safe around sheep. Thankfully, the way that they teach it means that a human doesn't need to tell it all these rules. But it does mean that they have to amass a critical mass of sheep-related training data, and human-label a sufficient percentage of it for autolabeling to be able to handle the rest.

Ovines in Ireland seemed to react differently than in Iceland. Maybe it's:
my imagination
the different second letter (first consonant)
the politics of their masters/mistresses
which side of the road is driven on
the spray paint on their heinie wool
Regardless, it still about recognition, anticipation, and reaction--FSD has to resolve how to react to not just roadside sheep but a whole lot more.

sheep-related training data
<insert your own joke here> :po_O:D

'kay, I'll start you off:
  1. Full Sheep Driving:
FullSheepDriving.jpg

2. Okay, now you: (go 'head)

Last edited: