Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never seen anyone use a turn signal at a roundabout,
Why would they ?

FWIW, I always use turn signals at roundabouts, for two reasons:
  • It's safer in areas with cyclists, bikers and pedestrians zipping around in dead spots and at weird angles, to always indicate direction, in case I overlook them or they misread my intentions. (Especially since in some situations they have priority, so if I hit them it's my fault.)
  • With certain types of roundabouts it's also courteous to another car waiting at the entrance of the roundabout to signal that I'm not going to cross his path and that he can enter the roundabout.
It's the basic principle of maximizing information about where I intend to drive my car.

Last edited:
Boy, I saw a write-up suggesting that Porsche gamed the base prices by making them out of ubobtanium, and it turns out they sure did.

Let's go configure a base Taycan Turbo. $150,900:

Screenshot_20190905-221252.png

Oh, no! Immediately I'm met with conflict:

Screenshot_20190905-221319.png
Screenshot_20190905-221319.png

Turns out I have to add an $1100 UMC equivalent, plus a $1500 pano roof. Oh, well. I'll do it.

But now I realize this doesn't really compare with a base S, as there's no Autopilot. Let's add InnoDrive, which is Porsche's closest offering to base AP. Ah, crap! Now I have to upgrade my... Steering wheel? Ah, well. Only another $280. We're getting close now.

Screenshot_20190905-221807.png

Only need to add that 150 kW charge capability, and Porsche's equivalent to Trip Planner, Intelligent Range Manager. Another $760.

Screenshot_20190905-222007.png Screenshot_20190905-222108.png

Now we're done. Total for a Taycan with base-level S features? $158,200, after $7,260 in 'optional' features. (I don't count the delivery charge since we generally don't count that when discussing Tesla pricing.)

Screenshot_20190905-222207.png
The absolute top-end S including a bunch of stuff I didn't add on the Taycan (eg paint, interior upgrades, and bigger wheels) is about $113,500. Almost $45k under the 'base' Taycan.

Sheesh. I wish Porsche luck. (Seriously.)

Edit: I've messed with the mobile site rejecting and miscounting my images for too long, so some images are missing for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190905-221252.png
    Screenshot_20190905-221252.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20190905-221807.png
    Screenshot_20190905-221807.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20190905-221913.png
    Screenshot_20190905-221913.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Boy, I saw a write-up suggesting that Porsche gamed the base prices by making them out of ubobtanium, and it turns out they sure did.

Let's go configure a base Taycan Turbo. $150,900:

View attachment 451131

Oh, no! Immediately I'm met with conflict:

View attachment 451126
View attachment 451139

Turns out I have to add an $1100 UMC equivalent, plus a $1500 pano roof. Oh, well. I'll do it.

But now I realize this doesn't really compare with a base S, as there's no Autopilot. Let's add InnoDrive, which is Porsche's closest offering to base AP. Ah, crap! Now I have to upgrade my... Steering wheel? Ah, well. Only another $280. We're getting close now.

View attachment 451135

Only need to add that 150 kW charge capability, and Porsche's equivalent to Trip Planner, Intelligent Range Manager. Another $760.

View attachment 451136 View attachment 451137

Now we're done. Total for a Taycan with base-level S features? $158,200, after $7,260 in 'optional' features. (I don't count the delivery charge since we generally don't count that when discussing Tesla pricing.)

View attachment 451142
The absolute top-end S including a bunch of stuff I didn't add on the Taycan (eg paint, interior upgrades, and bigger wheels) is about $113,500. Almost $45k under the 'base' Taycan.

Sheesh. I wish Porsche luck. (Seriously.)

Edit: I've messed with the mobile site rejecting and miscounting my images for too long, so some images are missing for now.
But did you get the Smoker's Package?

But aren't most of the EA charging locations two stall only? I've also read about multiple outages.

Indeed. Maybe not so much an issue for less EV-dense areas, but I watched a one of Bjørn's videos where he had to wait at least an hour to get on the fast charger, which, of course, can be occupied by slow charing cars. It's hit and mix.

Public chargers are also much more likely to be ICEd, they're not always as obvious as Superchargers and are often placed in amongst normal parking spaces.

Relying on the public infrastructure is risky right now, especially for people buying $200k cars. I hope this changes as EV adoption ramps.

So the third permit there is really, really interesting:

"Building Permit: F19-0041 - Tesla GA5 Demo and Rough Grading"
Is this general assembly line #5? GA4 is the Sprung Tent, which was the last known GA line Tesla added.

First time I've seen GA5 mentioned by Tesla. GA5 was mentioned here on TMC in early 2018 occasionally, which would have brought Fremont to 10K/week, but that production expansion went to Shanghai instead.

Is GA5 the Model Y assembly line already perhaps?

fwiw, perhaps some of Thursday's move may have been connected to the townhall CNN did with most of the Democratic candidates on Wednesday. The idea that we are going to EVs seemed practically a given as at least the campaign rhetoric across the field. Didn't watch every minute, but, saw Biden, whose on the right end of the spectrum among these candidates, talking with enthusiasm about moving to EVs to put the US in a dominant position in an emerging industry.

Couldn't say for any given candidate how much this is rhetoric, and how much this is a priority, but, perhaps some of the probability of a much more favorable US climate for Tesla will be priced into the stock as the public focuses more and more on the primaries and the election coming next November.

Interesting how far apart the Democratic field is on this issue from the media outlets that generally support them and promote similar ideas.

CNN reader Wolf Blitzer was saying with distaste to Andrew Yang, ~"you're not going to make everyone drive EVs are you?" (Blitzer asked this three times, as if it was absurd that Yang could really be going on the record seeing this as a transition we will make) Yang laughed it off, and his various replies more or less came to, ~"no, not going to make anyone, electric cars are awesome! we're all going to love driving them... Tesla's are great!"

A little later, Anderson Cooper was interviewing Bernie or Biden, and said something, to the effect of ~"but people are not going to want to give up their gas cars for underpowered EVs with less range, they're not going to want to drive underpowered cars." I find it nearly impossible to believe that Cooper did not know how backwards his underpowered comment was.

Would be funny if Tesla sent a few people over to CNN’s offices with a S3X and said they were their to introduce Anderson to the Tesla brand via some test drives.

Last edited:
I’m now apparently blocked by much of TSLAQ for challenging one of them about porsche’s supposed superiority. Not sad to see them go, but man, this was what pushed them over the edge?

They did the same with the iPace and the éTron. They will do the same with the eCQ (or whatever it's called) an every other high-end EV that comes along. They're just desperate to paint every EV and the "Tesla killer". Maybe one day they'll be right, but then we can truly say Musk has won, because this is actually The Mission.

Talking of $TSLAQ, and by association, morons. Anton Class Action Wahlman's latest article is claiming a Porsche/Tesla Apple/Android comparison. I couldn't resist clicking to read that (I won't copy the link - you know where to find it), here's the comment I posted, will be interesting to see if it gets published:

I agree with the iPhone/Android analogy, except you've got it the wrong way around. Tesla is Apple with the vertical integration, making their own hardware and chips, internal software development working in harmony with that hardware, proprietary eco-system giving a superior experience to Tesla owners.

In fact because Tesla actually do their own manufacturing, they have an even bigger advantage than Apple, they really do control everything. You can argue that Apple are often late to market with features that Android brought in years ago, this is also the opposite in this case, Tesla has a 5 - 7 years advantage with their feature-set and software.

So yeah, in this case Tesla is Apple, Porsche Android, except that in a world where the Apple would be half the price of Android, Android would no longer exist, except for those that refuse to buy Apple.

So the third permit there is really, really interesting:

"Building Permit: F19-0041 - Tesla GA5 Demo and Rough Grading"
Is this general assembly line #5? GA4 is the Sprung Tent, which was the last known GA line Tesla added.

First time I've seen GA5 mentioned by Tesla. GA5 was mentioned here on TMC in early 2018 occasionally, which would have brought Fremont to 10K/week, but that production expansion went to Shanghai instead.

Is GA5 the Model Y assembly line already perhaps?
Matches up with BIW5...

For all of the criticism of Tesla not marketing this is brilliant going to the Ring. Whether they break Porsche's time or not imagine how many news and internet outlets will carry this. The buzz created will be big. Brilliant.

Marketing is fine, Tesla do plenty of marketing through Twitter and YouTube - paying media for marketing/advertising is not.

Reactions: Carl Raymond