Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorn redid his test with a new Mercedes EQC

upload_2019-9-9_20-14-10.png

Australia/NZ shipments are by container ships, 4 cars/container, around 500 cars each ship arriving roughly one ship per week.
UK shipments come with EU RoRo.

Whoa, are you serious? This is terrible.

Why would anyone ship 500+ cars via containers when RoRo ships have existed for many decades? This 4 cars/container method strikes me as both remarkably labor intensive, dangerous, damage-inducing, and horribly slow for both loading and unloading.

Thanks for any insights you might provide.

Why would anyone ship 500+ cars via containers when RoRo ships have existed for many decades? This 4 cars/container method strikes me as both remarkably labor intensive, dangerous, damage-inducing, and horribly slow for both loading and unloading.

Not enough order to AU/NZ to do a RoRo ship, also remember Tesla is still production constrained

I'm confused by the ID.3 reveal details. I think the thing looks like a potential winner, but:

-not shipping until next summer, even though production starts in November of this year
-not coming to the US
-unclear whether it's coming to China

So, likely not great volume, not shipping until around when the Model Y kicks into gear, and none of VW's other EVs will hit until even later. I had thought the ID.3 was to be VW's big splash into their new EV future. What gives? Is this simply confirmation of what we've suspected around these parts: VW doesn't have the battery supply for true volume production and won't for quite some time? Or is it something else?

(I'm not being saucy--I'm genuinely a bit flabbergasted by today's news. I'm used to virtually every non-Tesla EV reveal being terrible or compliance volume but really thought this one was supposed to be a high-volume, globally-available jumping-off point for VW.)

I'm confused by the ID.3 reveal details. I think the thing looks like a potential winner, but:

-not shipping until next summer, even though production starts in November of this year
-not coming to the US
-unclear whether it's coming to China

ID3 Europe only for now at 100k units per year

ID Crozz, Roomzz,Buzz,and Vizzion, crossover,proper SUV, minivan and luxury sedan for US-Canada, China and Europe.

I guess Africa,Latin America, rest of Asia don't get jack *sugar* unless their governments mandate BEV or ZEV.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and RobPet

ID Crozz, Roomzz,Buzz,and Vizzion, crossover,proper SUV, minivan and luxury sedan for US-Canada, China and Europe.

I guess Africa,Latin America, rest of Asia don't get jack *sugar* unless their governments mandate BEV or ZEV.
100k was the original plan dir the first year of production that was supposed to be 2019 BTW.
Now they have released the "1st edition", which will start deliveries in mid 2020 and has a limit of 30k units.
Mercedes pulled a similar stunt with the EQC where they've pushed back deliveries to mid 2019, which actually became end of summer (now) and they released a special limited first edition as well.

Tesla has shipped all its cars to Australia by container in the past. Delivery staff here appear to be overwhelmed with the influx of cars and probably couldn't cope with a single RoRo. All cars are being offloaded and processed in Sydney and then trucked around the country. Customer deliveries have just started in earnest now but it looks like the initial deliveries will extend well into October and maybe beyond. I ordered in early July, don't have a car assigned yet and don't expect to receive it until sometime in October.

Tesla has shipped all its cars to Australia by container in the past. Delivery staff here appear to be overwhelmed with the influx of cars and probably couldn't cope with a single RoRo. All cars are being offloaded and processed in Sydney and then trucked around the country. Customer deliveries have just started in earnest now but it looks like the initial deliveries will extend well into October and maybe beyond. I ordered in early July, don't have a car assigned yet and don't expect to receive it until sometime in October.

Now I want to see some funny fan made movie about teslas and roos.

One thing that I think is the elephant in the room which no journalist is talking about. The touch screens. Even the 2nd best one on Taycan is so bad that it blows my mind. Or maybe the journalist that writes about this cannot tell the difference.

I think that Porche think they can just have more screen than tesla to make up for it, but any millenial who grow up with tech knows the difference. The screens on tesla can display anything, i.e. it is an actual computer screens. The screens on cars like taycan are like your old school GPS navigation unit. No matter how big they are, a button still take up 1/8th of the screen. It is basically a supersized old school GPS.

This is not an iphone vs andriod phone situation. This is like an iphone vs Garmin situation. Shaking my head Tesla's 20 year lead in terms of software and electronics.

Boy, it sure is a shame that Tesla may not be following the Nurburgring protocol to record an official record time.

Just like Porsche apparently didn't.

I haven't independently verified this, so take it with a grain of salt until someone else confirms.

It makes me wonder which protocols Porsche didn't want to follow in order to get certified. It could be the beginnings of "Performancegate" if they weren't entirely above the board. I mean, when you plunk down $185K after watching that, the car better be capable of doing it with only minor track prep (tires, brake pads, etc.) and without special Porsche only software and without gutting seats and other non-essentials to shed weight.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7
On the ID.3, I love the "pause" icon on the brake pedal, and the "play" icon on the other one. Does it change to "rewind" when put in reverse? Or "fast forward" if pressed down really hard?

I missed that and I agree it's good, but blatantly trying to ape Tesla's sense of humour.

So now they just need the CEO to start posting whacky, irreverent Tweets, dank memes, maybe smoke a crack pipe, and the assimilation will be complete!

Will be impressed VW if deliver 100k in their first year of production.

Maybe Bloomberg can start a tracker...

OK, so my buddy in China Tesla Mania has done some calculation over ID. 3's EPA range.
The numbers don't look that pretty. Basically about 280+ Wh/mile energy consumption.
It's also a brilliant post. I love the Bob Lutz part especially :D

T☰SLA Mania on Twitter

The VW ID 3 is here. I sincerely hope it sells well. The ID 3 is another testament to Tesla's mission. The more electric vehicles the fewer ICEs. But when it comes to VW, who has a reputation for lying (through their teeth), there is always a catch. This time, it's the range. /1

Suspiciously, VW only mentioned the highest WLTP numbers, which is WLTP city range. A rough calculation brought the numbers (205/260/340 miles) down to the EPA equivalents of 158/204/266 miles, which is about 80% of VW’s claim, which makes sense if you understand EPA & WLTP. 2/

Don’t get me wrong, I want the ID. 3 to succeed and I do not doubt it will. But buyers be aware! Remember, it is V f**king W you are dealing with! Rarely will you get what they make you think you would. 3/

Another takeaway from this is that the technological advantage @Tesla has over every other German incumbents is just inexplicably ginormous. And more importantly Tesla is not sitting still, while the Germans cannot and will not move fast. /4

Now that Audi, Mercedes, Porsche and VW has all "showed off" the best electric vehicles they could build, and coincidentally all using the WLTP range, let’s welcome old Bob Lutz from September 2018 to tell us something about Tesla’s non-existent advantages, whatsoever.​

EEFHxVAVAAEmxoh.jpeg

Fred acts as stenographer for VW (copy/pasting of press release, without critical thinking, while he takes a microscope/cynicism machine to nearly everything Tesla ever states).

VW unveils production version of ID.3 electric car: starts under $33,000 with range up to 340 miles - Electrek

seems like I'm not the only person pointing out his errors to have been "shadowbanned." comments section echoes Fred's mischaracterization of a Nissan Leaf peer as if it is some kind of big step forward in offering value in an EV.
HAH! That's NOTHING! During the livestream, Herbert Diess said that the ID.3 will reach customers in Spring 2019. LOL! That's a certifiably Drumpf-ian reality distortion field right there. :p

Cheers!

Looking grim for the weasel-diesel manufacturers in Europe:

UPDATE 2-Car makers near CO2 cliff-edge in electrification race

PARIS/FRANKFURT, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Time is running out for European car makers, which have waited until the last minute to try to meet ambitious EU emissions targets and face billions in fines if they fail to comply.

Fiat Chrysler, which lacks adequate green technology, has agreed to pay Tesla hundreds of millions of euros to pool emissions scores with its electric cars and escape penalties.

etc.