Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, the Saudi attack is estimated to affect 5 million barrels of production a day, 50% of Saudi production. This will have a huge financial impact on the Saudi’s and at least a short term gain for USA fracking and Russia and any non Saudi producers. This could cause a rise in oil prices and help Tesla and EVs in general. Too bad USA isn’t working in a long term sustainable energy plan! We are more likely to get engaged in a tragic battle to save yesterday’s energy supply rather then spend a little to get to tomorrow’s energy sooner.

Also, it seems like having local production will start to minimize the difficulty with global product allocation.

Gigafactories in Europe and China will help a lot as logistics are a lot simpler.

Giga 3 alone will speed up logistics by at least 30% and reduce the cost of logistics by the same amount. Yet another thing that analysts overlook when it comes to how Tesla's finances will be impacted by Giga3 going operational

Giga 3 alone will speed up logistics by at least 30% and reduce the cost of logistics by the same amount. Yet another thing that analysts overlook when it comes to how Tesla's finances will be impacted by Giga3 going operational

Will it really? I thought GF3 was only going to make SR models of the Model 3. All LR Model 3s and Model S&X will still come from Fremont.) Or do you think demand for LRs will plummet when the local SRs become available? Do we know what mix of SR vs. LR is currently selling in China?

Also, it seems like having local production will start to minimize the difficulty with global product allocation.

Gigafactories in Europe and China will help a lot as logistics are a lot simpler.

funny that I post this and then Elon posts this a few minutes ago. Guess we're all on the same wavelength today. heh

Elon Musk on Twitter

Exactly! We’ve only one car factory in California & one Gigafactory (for batteries & drive units) in Nevada. Giga Shanghai will do cars, batteries & drive units for the greater China area. Over time, regional Gigafactories will lower costs & improve logistics worldwide.

Reactions: dc_h
Will it really? I thought GF3 was only going to make SR models of the Model 3. All LR Model 3s and Model S&X will still come from Fremont.) Or do you think demand for LRs will plummet when the local SRs become available? Do we know what mix of SR vs. LR is currently selling in China?

I think SR Model 3 and Y will make up at least 50-60% of the demand for those vehicles, if not more. I've always thought of the 500k annual model 3 demand, probably about 300-350k of that annual demand will be the SR options. Considering the 3 and Y will make up the vast majority of Teslas production over the next 5 years, yeah Giga 3 will save them about 30% in logistics that they would have had to incur if they tried to ramp up production in one location instead. It's not that they'll necessarily save 30% in logistic costs right away but when Giga 3 hits 500k annual production, yeah I could see if saving them that much. The S/X and long range 3 and Y will not sell in anywhere close to the same volume as SR 3 and Y

Reactions: dc_h
IMHO, the cold gas thrusters on each corner should be linked to the ABS servo for traction control, and to some sort of wake turbulence sensing radar in the rear, to enable drag-inducing wake votices to be broken up with puffs of HP air.

I don't think there will be enough HP air supply to do direct thrust. I also think that's why we race boats and don't race hovercraft.

Cheers!
I think I read somewhere a long time ago about an invention (prob. never patented, for obv. reasons) to greatly enhance artillery range by putting a small bleeder charge at the back of the actual grenade, simply by filling the drag vortices (is that a word?). Anyway, by a factor of 50% or so.
Go, Cannonball!

Since it's the weekend I post about the Taycan. If you haven't heard :p it's an electric car from Porsche not yet available in the shops.

A norwegian TM3 user participated in a viewing and had a few interesting comments:
I was hoping this could be a replacement for the Tesla Model S / 3 as a sports car / family car. I've had 911 myself before, and this is roughly a 911 with 4 doors with slightly better rear seat space than the 911.

I have to say I was a little disappointed, so I probably had the wrong hopes. It's a shame to say that, but Taycan won't be the No. 1 car for a toddler family like us.​

IMO bolded above invalidates the entire post.

6'2" man sitting behind himself in Taycan with glass roof. Glass roof adds about 2" of headroom and will be standard in the USA.

upload_2019-9-14_13-15-58.png

Porsche 911 rear seats

porsche-911-targa-review-2014_13.jpg

eSXvXys.jpg

Yeah, but if being that accurate, they are in the hole once they purchase the materials. The "built" point is irrelevant.

It's usually just-in-time delivered and paid for, and the hourly wages of the line workers are due roughly at the end of the 1 or 2 week period when they build the car - so for all intents and purposes there's a clock ticking from where the supply chain delivers all necessary components, up to the point the customer transfers the payment.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
IMO bolded above invalidates the entire post.

6'2" man sitting behind himself in Taycan with glass roof. Glass roof adds about 2" of headroom and will be standard in the USA.

I'm not buying your anecdote either, the driver's seat is pushed forward more than the front passenger seat...

Most tall drivers will prefer the driver's seat to be pushed back as far as possible, for maximum leg comfort, which creates this problem for tall rear passengers of the Taycan:

porsche-taycan-interior.jpg

(and yes, that's not the driver's seat, but it demonstrates the problem.)

Also, anecdote and personal preference does not "invalidate" another anecdote and personal preference...

You are really trying too hard I think, the Taycan is a nice car but there's been multiple reports that the Taycan's interior volume isn't and doesn't feel generous, it's more comparable to the Model 3 than to the Model S - and that's how Porsche was able to achieve such a low drag coefficient, by keeping the frontal cross section low.

You know, trading off interior volume that nobody cares about, for Nürburgring performance that is 100% important to everyone. :D

I'm not buying your anecdote either, the driver's seat is pushed forward more than the front passenger seat...

Most tall drivers will prefer the driver's seat to be pushed back as far as possible, for maximum leg comfort, which creates this problem for tall rear passengers of the Taycan:

Also, anecdote and personal preference does not "invalidate" another anecdote and personal preference...

You are really trying too hard I think, the Taycan is a nice car but there's been multiple reports that the Taycan's interior volume isn't and doesn't feel generous, it's more comparable to the Model 3 than to the Model S - and that's how Porsche was able to achieve such a low drag coefficient, by keeping the frontal cross section low.

You know, trading off interior volume that nobody cares about, for Nürburgring performance that is 100% important to everyone. :D

I am not buying your anecdote.

All the way back is for 6'7" drivers.

Yeah, a tall passenger can't sit behind 6'7" driver comfortably.

I doubt comfort is that great having a tall guy sit behind a 6'7" driver in a Model 3 either.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
Once the factory is up running, things will be different. I think EM saying so to avoid people delaying their purchase. Based on his tracking record, we will see.

Yeah, Edmunds has been playing PR rep for Porsche recently. That was with the seat way forward, here's with it further back:

EDtPvqBWkAEHq8M

Here's what a person getting out of the rear looks like.

EDsvc8HU4AU_Rt8

Here's headroom:

upload_2019-9-14_20-45-33.png

Doesn't even have a middle seat.

Glass gives a little more headroom, but:

upload_2019-9-14_20-48-52.png

Still not much; his head hits the edge of the glass when he sits upright. And Bjørn is no giant. ;)

Front is also rather constrained. Just not a very big car.

Yeah, Edmunds has been playing PR rep for Porsche recently. That was with the seat way forward, here's with it further back:

EDtPvqBWkAEHq8M

Here's what a person getting out of the rear looks like.

EDsvc8HU4AU_Rt8

Here's headroom:

View attachment 454818

Doesn't even have a middle seat.

Glass gives a little more headroom, but:

View attachment 454824

Still not much; his head hits the edge of the glass when he sits upright. And Bjørn is no giant. ;)

Front is also rather constrained. Just not a very big car.
Sorry, but many of those images just show me (IMG) (with different brackets, obv) IDKY, because some images do show.
Blame the full møøn.

I am not buying your anecdote.

All the way back is for 6'7" drivers.

Yeah, a tall passenger can't sit behind 6'7" driver comfortably.

I doubt comfort is that great having a tall guy sit behind a 6'7" driver in a Model 3 either.

Its not a big back seat I think his description was fair. for him its tight. most "first looks" with hosts over 5'10 have said this and I don't believe the first picture guy is 6'2 as this guy is 6'2" and well: