Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually not that bad:
  1. actually its closer to 20 miles/gal/seat when loaded
  2. the alternative is a 2 week ship passage
  3. how much food does your crew+pax eat in 2 wks?
  4. what's the carbon footprint to grow/transport that food?
Wurst downside I can see for Elon/Tesla? The G650ER uses BMW engines. :p

Cheers!

I see what you did there AD. ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Obviously to blunt and Osborne Porsche's Taycan Turbo S launch. It'll be harder for auto magazines to tout it as the fastest EV ever when everyone knows the Plaid Model S is going to demolish it in every measurable metric (and the magazines reviewing the Taycan Turbo S will now all mention the Plaid Tesla), and harder for rich people to pull the trigger on something that'll only be the *second* fastest EV, whether they intend to race it or simply drive it to work. Second place has only a tiny fraction of the prestige as first place.
Yup. I can’t imagine the guys in my hood (who were talking big about the Taycan before the details were out) are actually going to pay ~$200K for a car much less one with ~200 miles real range and especially not one that’s 2nd best.

Still, this highly visible rivalry can only help both Porsche and Tesla.

It’s going to continue to be fun to watch. :)

Not, since Tesla is production and delivery limited, as you well know.

Correct, but no one is going to complain about more free advertising.

However, advertising leads to more demand and higher margins. For example, if demand was 2x higher, there would be no end of quarter discounts needed because enough variations would have been ordered to soak up all end of quarter inventory.

Ford received a $6bn loan from the same program Tesla got their $500M loan. That's why they didn't go bankrupt. They have 27 years (from the loan date) to pay it back. I wonder how much the tax payers are actually going to see? Tesla paid back their loan in full a few years ago.

Ford didn't go bankrupt because they raised $36B just before the financial crisis, including mortgaging their blue oval logo.

It was thought bankrolling Chrysler and GM at the expense of Ford was rewarding poor behavior.

So Ford got the $6B to finance "green car technologies" to level the playing field in Detroit.

The thought of spending 10-20k extra just to go 0.5-6 second faster while everything else remains the same is the definition of pissing money away lightly.

Lightly implies that little thought was given, so that’s not necessarily true. Quite a bit of thought and deferment might have been occurred before that purchase.

It would definitely be smart to announce a price now - even if the actual price is lower when it goes into production. Personally, I don't see why it wouldn't start at $185k - that's what the performance (uhhhh...Turbo S) Taycan starts at, and the Plaid is CLEARLY a far superior car in every way.

Elon already stated they will charge less than competitors for Max Plaid.

In the not too distant future Porsche dealers will offer discounts for Taycan.

Tesla doesn't offer discounts. Ever. Everyone pays the same. Unless it is two weeks before an end to the quarter. :confused::confused::confused:

I doubt there's anyone here who has an issue with EV advertising itself.

There are, however, many people here who have an issue with Tesla spending their money on advertising rather than improving products and production processes.

I doubt there is a "rather" problem.

Is Tesla not hiring an excellent engineer because of a lack of funds? I sincerely doubt it.

Anecdotal evidence suggest Musk hires excellent engineers even without an official position being available.

Mediocre and poor engineers are whatever.

Not, since Tesla is production and delivery limited, as you well know.

Correct, but no one is going to complain about more free advertising.

Tesla is not production limited on Model S.

Tesla has a self imposed limit on deliveries at the end of quarters. End the wave and delivery capacity expands by multiples.

And Tesla is not production limited on Full Self Drive. They can deliver Full Self Drive to everybody that buys a Tesla but currently don't.

And another thing. If there was all this overwhelming demand there would be no end of quarter discounts on Model 3, Model S and Model X.

Last edited:
Batteries?

No clue. But you could say the same about GF3 and it's clearly moving forward.
Having said that, I don't think cells from LG will be the US solution. I just think they have a solution we are not privy to. Lodger has some imaginative theories which might be bang on.

We'll know more in a couple of weeks with Q3 delivery numbers. That will give us the rate of GF1 capacity expansion.

We don't know the planned rate of model Y ramp. It may be stretched compared to the original model 3 planned ramp. Perhaps closer to the model 3 actual ramp, which should be quite leisurely and relatively stress-free the second time around. We have to remember that they share most parts.

We do know that there's an extra $4K free margin in every model Y - the additional perceived value of a CUV, a car Tesla can make for the same cost as a model 3. Tesla must be champing at the bit to get their hands on that "free money". Why wait?

Europe is looking good this quarter.
SmartSelect_20190917-213709_Chrome.jpg

Him talking about the rear seats having more room hints at an interior refresh so it's not just a powertrain thing. And the interior refresh is something that will happen to all S so that's the real problem. Usually a higher power model doesn't Osborne the lower power model. A civic type R that was a year late didn't stop anyone from buying the Civic.
Will they move rows 1 & 2 forward? 2 smaller motors in rear might help. If so, 7 seats restricted to Plaid?

upload_2019-9-18_6-15-6.jpeg

Back to topic - seems like we have a positive note from DB:
Deutsche Bank posts bullish TSLA outlook after meeting with Tesla executive

EDIT: Haven´t heard of that analyst before "Senior Autos & Auto Technology Analyst Emmanuel Rosner" - anyone else?
He’s been around quite a while and did make a positive impact back when he began at Barclays. He’s done well as an auto industry guy, so his positive views do carry investor credibility.
Emmanuel Rosner Joins Deutsche Bank to Lead Autos and Auto Technology Research Team – Newsroom