Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading about negligence a little more (thanks @brian45011), it seems like the Tesla owner will take some amount of responsibility for the accident.
Here’s a link to a law firm’s website clearly summarizing the various types of negligence fault laws in the 50 states: https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/COMPARATIVE-FAULT-SYSTEMS-CHART.pdf

Mind explaining to me what the negligence is for driving when you have right of way and stopping when a car is about to hit you?

Man I hope us MCU1 folks get a chance tu upgrade to MCU2 so I can get in on the YouTube Netflix fun!
In the past musk has said upgrading AP versions on existing cars too expensive and I fear the same is true for MCU2. I sympathize, but the upgrade cycle could be selling your car and getting a new one. I have been in this position before. My models vin 51XX had options available from parking sensors to rear seat warmers within 6 months of delivery that I would upgraded if possible. I have never been able to buy a phone computer or camera that wasn’t upgraded/replaced by newer model within a year. It’s not wasteful someone will buy your older version

In the past musk has said upgrading AP versions on existing cars too expensive and I fear the same is true for MCU2. I sympathize, but the upgrade cycle could be selling your car and getting a new one. I have been in this position before. My models vin 51XX had options available from parking sensors to rear seat warmers within 6 months of delivery that I would upgraded if possible. I have never been able to buy a phone computer or camera that wasn’t upgraded/replaced by newer model within a year. It’s not wasteful someone will buy your older version
I totally understand the pace of innovation at Tesla...and support it....plus my car did just get better with the latest update!
My Brother just got a new Model 3 and I know he can charge faster than mine among other improvements.

It's pretty hard to stay on the cutting edge.:D

Tried Summon, Only to have to run to car mid-way because another car came in b/w and I didn't know what to do.

I think Summons needs "Abort" button - active before the car pull's out of Parking spot. If you Abort - it will park it self back.
Other feature might be to just stop and have emergency lights (or something similar) turn on, so other parties are more aware ...

+ my kids were so excited to see Summons working ...

There is an old tweet from Elon saying we will - but I'm not holding my breath!

But I AM enabling Joe Mode.

This Joe Mode, is that a Blunt dispenser ?

No it's a function for lowering the volume of the info- and warning sounds our Teslas make. After you have had too many cups of joe so that your nerves are a bit frazzled.

I'm a few days behind, but to quickly respond: This guy is a bubble! :D

upload_2019-9-27_12-37-44-png.459650
Based on what Steve the ghost is sharing, a lot of these guys are off the hinges. I see threats and doxing attempts. Be careful out there. It's not a civil discussion anymore. They are losing and becoming desperate.

Early results from Poll: Unusual pickup truck features :

Which of these do you expect any of the released versions to include?

1. I was surprised with 2 results. Low expectation for full size bed. Also:

Air suspension drops at rear and rises at front to allow for ramp loading

9 vote(s)
    69.2%

Did I miss something here? This would be really cool but I thought it was only an outside chance.
I would guess most people answered "what they would like to see" rather than "what might be released".

Based on what Steve the ghost is sharing, a lot of these guys are off the hinges. I see threats and doxing attempts. Be careful out there. It's not a civil discussion anymore. They are losing and becoming desperate.
Giga Shanghai must be absolutely freaking them out. Huge symbol of growth and future potential. When cars come spewing forth, Tesla should immediately announce Giga Europe to seal the deal.

Not because of Wright's Law.

Wright's Law is based on the premise that you can justify automating more of your production, the higher the volume you get. But the Model 3 was designed for the beginning for automated production. The increases of production aren't simply from "duplicating lines", they're from getting lines to run faster and more automated, as was intended from the beginning. It's extra output with proportionally very little cost added.

Which is why Tesla's COGS reduction has been way faster than Wright's Law, and can be expected to continue as such.
Clarifying note.

Here's my understanding of Wrights Law, or learning curve rate of 15%. It's based on doubling, so 100%, not 200%. And it's based on cumulative production volume, not volume per period.
To anyone citing Wright's law to predict a 1-2% COGS reduction, let me remind of the old adage...when a theory conflicts with reality, it's the theory that has to change.

Each quarter, Wright's Law would say that COGS should go down several hundred to a thousand or so dollars. Except that's not what we see. Every quarter it goes down by thousands.

Wright's Law is for mature production processes - not for fixing systems that aren't running as well as they were supposed to.

Now you don't have to agree with my reasons for why things are what they are. But the reality is what it is. And if your theory conflicts with reality, your theory needs to change.
Moore's Law vs. Wright's Law

Not sure what your point is, are you saying the Law is wrong, is not applicable, or that people are using the wrong percentage?

Wright's Law, or Learning Curve, or Experience Curve Moore's Law vs. Wright's Law says that for every doubling of total production, the costs involved drop by the same percentage. The initial doublings correspond to the larger improvements as a new product is developed.
The 3 has gone through many doublings since introduction in July 2017. The laws also does not say what the percentage is, as it varies per industry. From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experience_curve_effects Repetitive machining could as low as a 5% improvement, repetitive electrical operations as high as 25%.

Wright’s Law/Learning Curves/Experience Curves are extremely important to understand when considering technological progress and are particularly key to what Elon’s companies are trying to achieve. Wright's Law is often misunderstood however so I think it’s worth explaining some of my thoughts about it.

We have found pretty consistently over the past 100 years that as the cumulative historic production of a product doubles, the production cost reduces by a roughly fixed percentage. This is Wright’s Law and it is a rule of thumb which works over long time periods over multiple product and factory generations, but is not likely to be very accurate when making short term predictions.

Wright’s Law works because of three different underlying mechanisms:
1) R&D spend roughly scales with an industry’s revenue, so cumulative R&D spend scales with cumulative production. If you have a larger industry, more resources are spent on technological progress and these breakthroughs drive down the cost. R&D appears to be the largest driver of experience curves but it doesn’t work on short time periods because it could be several years before new R&D is put into production. It can also be quite lumpy with cost breakthroughs coming in fits and starts when a new generation of technology is introduced.
2) For every product you produce the staff and company “learn” how to do their task better. This is a combination of more productive staff and better production methods introduced after fixing the bottlenecks and problems previously experienced. In other words, to some extent all Cost of Goods Sold of a product can double up as R&D. Possibly the key driver of success in Elon’s companies is his push to maximize the R&D value of all expenditure – whether that is a COGs cost, capex cost or R&D cost. For example much of SpaceX’s R&D was done via COGs as it tested new hardware on customer missions. Similarly, Tesla’s factory is set up to rapidly upgrade car designs once lessons are learnt from the production staff and the fleet (which are both expensed as COGs). He also experiments with multiple new production techniques when investing in capex for a new factory – if this works he will use it again, if it doesn’t work he can always return to traditional process for the next factory – either way he has learnt something valuable and capex has worked as R&D.
3) Increased economies of scale. These are actually a function of annual production rather than cumulative production. These scale advantages could be higher staff productivity, more fixed cost and depreciation leverage or better purchasing power from suppliers (plus suppliers passing on their own scale savings). Economies of scale can actually cap out fairly early – you get huge benefit from 1 production line producing 500k cars vs 100k cars, but two 500k factories only has limited increased economies of scale vs one 500k factory.​

There is some nuance to these mechanisms though. Experience curves only really work on unique components – when looking at a system with multiple sub components you are really looking at an average experience curve over the whole product. You can’t expect an entire EV to follow the same experience curves – some of its components have already gone through 50 years of learning in ICE cars. Most of an EV Powertrain should follow steep experience curves to some extent - this includes Battery Cells, Packs, BMS, chargers, converters, motors, inverters, cooling etc. But only for costs which are not for off the shelf components or commodities (most battery “commodities” are actually highly value add products which can themselves follow experience curves as EVs increase their cumulative production – but this can also be cancelled out in the short term by supply demand pressures if raw material production expansion is lagging behind end product capacity/demand). Many of the components supplied to Tesla are actually designed by Tesla in-house with just manufacturing outsourced – so many supplier components can also follow experience curves the same as components manufactured in-house.

Another important note on Wright’s Law is that cost reductions at times can rapidly outpace the growth in cumulative production if R&D is suddenly scaled up significantly as a % of an industry’s revenues (or even just if R&D productivity per $ is suddenly increased). This means that Tesla can still achieve significant cost reductions in many of the car components common to both EVs and ICEs. R&D in real manufacturing innovation for car production has been very low for decades as the global auto industry settled into a comfortable oligarchy with no culture of progress or innovation. This means the industry has not been learning enough from the hundreds of millions of cars it has produced over recent decades and there is a lot of slack for Tesla to apply new technology to reenergize innovation in components which are already extremely high volume. This is similar to the Boring Company (almost no R&D for 50 years has left a lot of slack) and SpaceX (corrupt cost plus pricing to lobbyists had stifled innovation in rocket development). For this reason there is some argument that even non EV unique components in Tesla cars could follow quite steep learning curves in line with Tesla’s cumulative production (rather than tracking the much smaller increases in cumulative historical car volume from the past 100 years). But these components will still likely have a much lower learning rate than for the EV component alone.

Last edited:
Does V10 force automakers hand in surrendering their entertainment displays further to Apple Carplay and Android Auto? This has already been occurring, but V10 appears to have extended the feature set into entertainment, video, and games.

This widening feature gap between Tesla and other auto manufacturers may create more value and leverage for Apple and Google in this space. The features that consumers desire when car shopping are quickly changing. In five years what value will GM, F, and others be creating in house?

The pace to which Tesla is innovating on all fronts truly is impressive. Damn, I hope battery day provides tangible manufacturing and costs benefits.

I think that's true. After testing out the current state of Smart Summon and "Come to Me" in various parking lots this afternoon, I'm pretty impressed. I think most mishaps will be due to it misreading the scene and driving where it might get stuck or damage a wheel. But as far as hitting other cars or (god forbid) babies in strollers, children or adults, I think it's safer than humans.
How does the system respond to signals humans commonly use to communicate courtesies, intentions while avoiding collisions, such as hand gestures, horn beeps, flashing lights, etc.?

WeWork, showcases the difference between the valuation of a traditional company and that of a tech. When it was thought as tech, it had 5x its current valuation and its current valuation is looking at it as a traditional Co-Working real estate firm.

Tesla is currently valued as a car manufacturer. In time, as FSD gets rolled out and the infotainment system gets more attention, people will eventually wake up and start valuing tesla at 5x its current value. The new focus on infotainment system, I believe, is the biggst unknown that nobody is seeing. None of the analysts are talking about it, nobody knows its significance just like when apple app store first got announced. We are probably at 5% completion at this stage for the Tesla app store, but when it is done, man will it be glorious and we will officially step into tech company territory when the app store will be able to leverage all the programmer's skill in the world to add functionality. WhereasI said that the other manufacturers are not just 10 year behind but are reinventing the wheel on mapping and AI route finding, when it comes to the app store, the other manufacturers have not even started discussing it in the boardroom yet.

A few apps I can see gaining in popularity: Tour guide for road trips, racing games to time your lap time and score against others in a set course. Hypermilling challenge game where it record the driving stats and lets people replay record setter's stats on a set course for the most optimal efficiency.

My frustration with the world is that I am looking at this potential about 5~ 10 years early and the traditional wallstreet is valuing it for its present struggle as a car manufacturer.

Does V10 force automakers hand in surrendering their entertainment displays further to Apple Carplay and Android Auto? This has already been occurring, but V10 appears to have extended the feature set into entertainment, video, and games.

This widening feature gap between Tesla and other auto manufacturers may create more value and leverage for Apple and Google in this space. The features that consumers desire when car shopping are quickly changing. In five years what value will GM, F, and others be creating in house?

The pace to which Tesla is innovating on all fronts truly is impressive. Damn, I hope battery day provides tangible manufacturing and costs benefits.

The biggest hurdle is to come to a conclusion that all those dials,clocks and gadgets are not needed :)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The new focus on infotainment system, I believe, is the biggst unknown that nobody is seeing. None of the analysts are talking about it, nobody knows its significance just like when apple app store first got announced. We are probably at 5% completion at this stage for the Tesla app store, but when it is done, man will it be glorious and we will officially step into tech company territory when the app store will be able to leverage all the programmer's skill in the world to add functionality. WhereasI said that the other manufacturers are not just 10 year behind but are reinventing the wheel on mapping and AI route finding, when it comes to the app store, the other manufacturers have not even started discussing it in the boardroom yet.
I would like to see Tesla, at some point in the future, begin to monetize this. There are opportunities here as Tesla begins to scale.

Last edited:
How does the system respond to signals humans commonly use to communicate courtesies, intentions while avoiding collisions, such as hand gestures, horn beeps, flashing lights, etc.?

This is the investor thread. For technical questions on FSD, Autopilot and Summon the place to be is: Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD

Sorry to have created confusion but I honestly cannot see how anyone who read the post could believe it was about Tesla
1. Referred to q2 cc, last Tesla q2 was 11 months ago
2. None of the details in anyway apply to Tesla

Unfortunately stealthp3d is only 1 of two posters on this suite I have blocked so I did not know about any confusion.

I was wondering why some people on this forum were defending the stock. NIO Even I wouldn’t touch it with 10 foot pole. NIO

There’s definitely a lesson to be learned here. NIO I’m all about continuing education. NIO

This Joe Mode, is that a Blunt dispenser ?

Joe mode could quite possibly dispense blunt tools. One can only hope.

Nothing says classy like matching mom and daughter tattoos.

6dc8dfdd64bce83c9b698c14756a4cc6-737424.png

Mum And Daughter Get Matching 'Sexy' Tesla Tattoos

Good for them. I'm going to be getting the Tesla T on my forearm when I finally purchase my car.

Tattoos are definitely going from "Only bikers/Sailors" to every day. People get tattoos to show what they love; sports teams, people's names, characters from stories. Why not a brand that is notably trying to change the world for the better? And if it makes the mother/daughter feel closer together, then go for it.