Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And do you doubt even for a second that's exactly what would happen if Tesla let the UAW into the Freemont plant?
BS. Do you really think the people who work there want to lose their jobs - so that someone else in Michigan benefits ?

People have whole heartedly drunk the Republican koolaid on unions - and it has very, very handsomely paid for the Republicans in terms of electoral strategy.

Anyway, union talk is purely political. So if you want to discuss this, lets take it to the political thread.

Yeah OT, but I quote Star Trek,

And do you doubt even for a second that's exactly what would happen if Tesla let the UAW into the Freemont plant?

Think about it, they have a lot more auto jobs to protect than the few that work at Freemont. Granted, they couldn't ever explicitly say that was their goal but every decision they made would be with an eye to accomplishing just that. And this is coming from someone who is generally pro-union, at least in principle. But the UAW has been corrupt for decades now and it appears to just becoming more corrupt. I don't even believe they work for the auto workers anymore (haven't for a long time).
Do you really think the people who work there want to lose their jobs - so that someone else in Michigan benefits ?

Bad application of Spock:
The needs of the many (auto plants) outweigh the needs of the one (auto plant).
Since it ignores:
The need of the many (residents of Earth) outweigh the needs of the one (type of worker)

UAW has let Fremont shut down before.
Anger toward UAW erupts at California auto workers meeting

Okay, sorry, but now I can't help but imagine Greta as the head of some post-apocalyptic Mad Max clan, with the scalp of Rick Perry mounted on her solar-powered War Rig. ;)

Screenshot_20191005_231305.png

If the ships are hundreds of meters long ;) You could power them with smaller receiver sizes (dozens of meters), but at lower efficiencies.

You can also launch solettas. Basically solar mirrors for adding or blocking light to a given area - far lighter than space-based solar (more like solar sails), so they can intercept much greater amounts of light. Even at current launch costs, there've nearly been multiple projects launched already to add solettas to brighten up arctic municipalities during the winter (in theory, even warming them to more temperate temperatures) or replacing electric street lights (like having a bright full moon every night), and one small test project actually launched (Znamya). The inverse could be done in equatorial climes, blocking part of the light to cool an area.

All pure sci-fi stuff, but actually economically plausible with Starship. And the larger the scale you go, the more "fantastical" the sort of things you can do, like boosting crop or timber yields with extra light and warmth, preventing glacial melt by casting shade, redirecting / dissipating hurricanes by altering sea surface temperatures ahead of their path to affect shear or competing vortices, etc etc. But of course, the more the questions you raise about the side effects of such geoengineering.

Of course the danger with such geoengineering solutions is that they are latched on to the fossil fuel lobby as an *alternative* to going carbon neutral.

It treats rising CO2 levels as an excess heat problem, ignoring the equally devastating ocean acidification problem.

I live not far from an oyster farming region, the Hawkesbury River. Already they have observed the oysters mutating new shell chemistry to cope with the higher ocean acidity (it’s tidal). We can’t know how far such defences will cope. Regardless, a runaway Keeling Curve is a runaway Keeling Curve. It won’t stop climbing if we don’t stop polluting. Eventually we succeed in killing the oysters, plankton, coral, etc.

Relevance to Tesla? ICE has to die. To think we are smart enough to fix the side effects later is really stupid.

At the risk of sounding a bit abrupt, please consider educating your SO a bit on why the Tesla is nearly always going to be the better vehicle to take.

Every time you buy gas you simply add to the problem, and it's one Hell of a problem since we have one usable planet. (Plus, the externalities here are cruel, rude and mean.)

Thx.

News | Huge Cavity in Antarctic Glacier Signals Rapid Decay

"[The size of] a cavity under a glacier plays an important role in melting," said the study's lead author, Pietro Milillo of JPL. "As more heat and water get under the glacier, it melts faster."

Numerical models of ice sheets use a fixed shape to represent a cavity under the ice, rather than allowing the cavity to change and grow. The new discovery implies that this limitation most likely causes those models to underestimate how fast Thwaites is losing ice.

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.

[truncated]
Yeah the time to accelerate use of EV’s is coming now buying gas is so anachronistic. The best part is when we moved from California to Texas electricity is so much cheaper as well. I’m not sure why people in Texas don’t drive electric cars.

Last edited:
Below is a link to the first hand report from the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) regarding Lithium-Carbon Dioxide batteries that is mentioned at the very end of the above video.

First fully rechargeable carbon dioxide battery with carbon neutrality | UIC Today
Thanks for the video link and the CO2 battery. like all battery developments, they need to demonstrate utility in all dimensions, including cost, energy density, charge rates, life-time etc. The future looks bright that we will have good solutions to electrical storage.

Yeah OT, but I quote Star Trek,

Bad application of Spock:
Since it ignores:
The need of the many (residents of Earth) outweigh the needs of the one (type of worker)

UAW has let Fremont shut down before.
Anger toward UAW erupts at California auto workers meeting
As I said it is a political question. Happy to discuss in the political thread.

Problem for Tesla is not "sabotage" - it is less flexibility.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Yeah the time to accelerate use of EV’s is coming now buying gas is so anachronistic. The best part is when we moved from California to Texas electricity is so much cheaper as well. I’m not sure why people in Texas don’t drive electric cars.
We’re not doing THAT shabby (especially considering the political headwinds), but we should be doing better. From autoalliance.org, BEVs sold Jan '11 through June '19:
537C7144-B56B-4CE9-800D-B39B8372DF17.jpeg

Edit: of course, next to Cali, everyone is doing shabbily.

The Georgia one is a bit deceptive. Jan 2011 through June 2019 29,944 EV's

Recent years.

2016 Only 2435
2017 Only 2427
2018 Only 6,004

Up until 2015 you could lease a EV for two years and get 5000 off state tax.
Could spread the tax over multiple years. Made leasing a Leaf free or almost free.

My Leaf
$ 1000 down + 229 * 24=6496 - 5000= $1496 for keeping car two years.

Bought it out at end of lease for $7800 and sold it three years later (52K) for $6500.

NOTE: you could shop your end of lease at dealers other than the one you originally leased it at.

When I got my model 3 the only discount I got was the BIC pen I signed with.

Last edited:
We’re not doing THAT shabby (especially considering the political headwinds), but we should be doing better. From autoalliance.org, BEVs sold Jan '11 through June '19:
View attachment 463064

Am I reading that right. 326038 EV’s sold just in California in 6 months? Really. That’s close to two thousand per day. That seems high.

You are assuming the UAW isn't corrupt. And we know it is. They work for Ford and GM as much as they do the auto worker. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of workers being well-represented. But the UAW doesn't do that.

View attachment 463064

Texas, with it's 30 million residents, comes in far behind Washington with it's 8 million residents?

That looks pretty shabby to me.

Texas, with it's 30 million residents, comes in far behind Washington with it's 8 million residents?

That looks pretty shabby to me.
Yeah, per capita would be a different ranking. Washington and Georgia (albeit with rationale from @HG Wells ) are doing very well per capita. Texas, Florida and New York should be roughly comparable per capita.