Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The articles says that Uber is also part of the group.
So, no more Uber for you as well, hopefully.

I haven't used Uber in years. Don't like the company. Have already been utilizing local cab companies more after numerous poor experiences with Lyft.

Just made a small purchase (water bottle) from the Tesla shop. Already have FSD in my model Y configuration, but now I'm considering getting it for my model 3 (only has AP) as well. I know not everyone is as stubborn as me, but when I see companies doing things I don't like I tend to do something about it. I vote with my wallet.

Self-Driving Requires Unprecedented Collaboration

Lyft teams up with legacy auto in self-driving regulation efforts (because they're all getting beaten by Tesla). Expect lobbying efforts to try to slow Tesla down. This company has a LOT of enemies.

Deleting Lyft app on my phone.

Considering china is the biggest future market for Tesla and China's willingness to cooperate with Tesla, I don't see this as a threat to Tesla's FSD progress. If Tesla is successful in FSD, they will be so many, many years ahead of any competition. No way the US is going to ok with the country of China enjoying driverless cars for 5 years while they intentionally block Tesla from releasing provable safe driverless cars in the US. The optics alone would be embarrassing for the US. China's market alone will provide more than enough data to build FSD off of to get to the safety level needed for hands off FSD

Considering china is the biggest future market for Tesla and China's willingness to cooperate with Tesla, I don't see this as a threat to Tesla's FSD progress. If Tesla is successful in FSD, they will be so many, many years ahead of any competition. No way the US is going to ok with the country of China enjoying driverless cars for 5 years while they intentionally block Tesla from releasing provable safe driverless cars in the US. The optics alone would be embarrassing for the US. China's market alone will provide more than enough data to build FSD off of to get to the safety level needed for hands off FSD

The institution's need to protect itself usually outweight the altruistic pursuits of higher conscious. Look at how much is against Tesla. Even though it is good for our future and an american company. Doesn't stop everyone from telling lies about it.

I am afraid Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged scenario will play out. The consortium will play dirty and legislate a rule requiring all AI driving to use LIDAR. And they will use consumer safety as the excuse. The fact tgat Tesla is excluded fortell such an outcome.

In that case, the original explanation of the sell-off from Karen (which triggered my post in the first place) is in error:
Not really. Maybe they are not forced to sell TSLA, but by their own policies on a down day for the markets there are probably other stocks that they want to buy, and they don't sit on cash. So what do you sell? The thing that's overweight.

Not really. Maybe they are not forced to sell TSLA, but by their own policies on a down day for the markets there are probably other stocks that they want to buy, and they don't sit on cash. So what do you sell? The thing that's overweight.
One way to look at it is that the 10% is their buy and hold stock, anything more is their trading stock. I know there are several here who have a similar (if smaller) investment plan.

Is there any indication how the general public is responding to Adv Summon so far?

I use it about everyday but more often than not, I get a snide remark like "Not Ready" or "That's Creepy". The rest of the people are speechless/awestruck. I'm sure it does not compute for many.

Reputation is at stake and you can't respond with, "It's Beta...".
You know some sort of lift will be coming on down the road. I am sure there are 3rd party options now, just at very expensive prices. After all, there are currently retrofit options on the market. Right now Tesla has bigger fish to fry, but I would not be at all surprised to see wheelchair assist models available.

Dan
Wheelchair assist? I'm thinking victim unconscious assist at home (a heavy robot, but who's putting constraints on anything?). Medical industry would eat this up for the elderly. Bernie Sanders would buy one... maybe it climbs out of the trunk fetches the human and takes you to the hospital and intersects with an ambulance on the way. That's the ideal really.

I know that's their policy, but it is kind of a self-defeating policy.
What it guarantees, is that their portfolio performance is limited by the worst performing stock they own.
Since every better performing one periodically hits the 10% mark and gets trimmed until the entire portfolio is performing exactly as bad as the worst stock.

In other words: even if their projection about TSLA is correct and it will grow ~20x in the next 5 years, they will never benefit from the 20x growth, because their TSLA portion will be sold down to 10% every time TSLA outperforms their average stock performance.

Example: suppose TSLA doubles next week in response to a stellar unexpected ER, as a consequence ARK has to trim their TSLA holding to half. That means their growth can never reach 20x only 10x IFF there is no more trimming(i.e. TSLA becomes their worst from there on), in case of TSLA continued out-performance of their worst, more trimming will occur and their growth from TSLA is even lower.

IMHO: the correct version of the policy would be to never buy more of a stock if its over 10%, but no forced selling due to over-performance. So if they invest only 10% in a stock to start with, but that stock outperforms everything else so much that it becomes 90% of their portfolio, its still fine, they just don't buy more of it and only sell when it reaches their projected price target.

Investors buy funds with the expectation that they provide relative safety with diversification. If a single stock were to become an overwhelming portion of an ARK fund, its investors may not be too happy paying the annual 0.75% management fee, when they could simply buy that stock separately. Funds aren't for everyone, but they are for those who want diversification with expert management, and may not have the time to research or trade stocks themselves.

Last edited:
Self-Driving Requires Unprecedented Collaboration

Lyft teams up with legacy auto in self-driving regulation efforts (because they're all getting beaten by Tesla). Expect lobbying efforts to try to slow Tesla down. This company has a LOT of enemies.

Deleting Lyft app on my phone.

Of course. We'll be using assisted FSD for years to come, especially if they restrict use at the federal levels.
Safety my *sugar*. They have no data to back up this claim.
Supreme court in 2022.

Wheelchair assist? I'm thinking victim unconscious assist at home (a heavy robot, but who's putting constraints on anything?). Medical industry would eat this up for the elderly. Bernie Sanders would buy one... maybe it climbs out of the trunk fetches the human and takes you to the hospital and intersects with an ambulance on the way. That's the ideal really.

Tesla should make a Wheelchair mode just like they whipped out Joe mode. Which disconnects the middle row seat closest to the driver from sensor logic. So that any competent mechanic can remove the seat without the car going berserk. Most elegant on a 6 seater. Is it possible to take out part of a 3 seater middle row?

Is there any indication how the general public is responding to Adv Summon so far?

I use it about everyday but more often than not, I get a snide remark like "Not Ready" or "That's Creepy". The rest of the people are speechless/awestruck. I'm sure it does not compute for many.

Reputation is at stake and you can't respond with, "It's Beta...".

Weirdly when I point out I’m summoning, people just politely say “Oh that’s neat”. I am completely shocked. I would think they would be completely blown away by such a technological advancement, but I think people come to expect amazing tech advancements so much, that it no longer provides shock and awe. I have had a couple of people say “Oh that must be a Tesla”.

Weirdly when I point out I’m summoning, people just politely say “Oh that’s neat”. I am completely shocked. I would think they would be completely blown away by such a technological advancement, but I think people come to expect amazing tech advancements so much, that it no longer provides shock and awe. I have had a couple of people say “Oh that must be a Tesla”.
I think a lot of people think you are controlling it. Very few grasp the concept of it making the decisions, fewer still that it is constructing a digital world from cameras and knows what objects it is seeing. It’s insane, I do it all the time just to watch it. What’s more incredible is how in 5 years Tesla will probably still be the only car driving autonomously in parking lots.

I get the same response, underwhelmed. This is better than rockets landing IMO. I decided to post on Nextdoor to start a conversation. We will see...

It would be nice if Elon would design a wheel chair solution that requires little effort to load and unload into
The car. It’s heart breaking watching her load it back.
Elon needs to build a smart summon for electric chairs that would automatically steer it towards the liftgate where a ramp would automatically slide out and the chair would drive itself into the back, then vice versa when you need it again.

In his spare time you know...