Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
---

I just don't see instant demand for a thousand new roofs installs per week. Making a thousand Model 3s is way easier - all the components go to one location - all the workers go to one location - and the workplace is indoors. And the delivery process begins when the cars exit the factory. Solar roof installs are the exact opposite..you need permits for each location, you need components be delivered to each location, and you need trained workers at each location - and it's subject to weather conditions.
ramping up at Fremont has to be much easier than ramping the solar roof business.

You do realize that Tesla Solar Roof is the ONLY solar product that can produce 100% of your energy need right? Solar panels require huge roofs facing the right direction, in which the wrong direction reduces efficiency rapidly. Solar roof with the ability to have every tile generating power. This is actually a huge deal. I had a huge roof being a single story house facing the right direction and has 115% of what I need(while the other 15% is being used to charge my car). Most people doesn't have this luxury so this product is pretty important to have 100% sustainability!

Granted, I've put very little value into the Solar Roof business up to this point.

You are not alone no one did. Since a longer time I talk about the tremendous opportunity of the TE in particular battery business but even this forum does discount it down to zero for reasons I have a hard time to understand as a long term investor.

All I can say is its wise to listen to Elon carefully and he talked many times about Battery business to be at least as large as autonomous. A huge business can be found in solar too.

The next level which is hard to comprehend for many is that the sum of all that different businesses verticaly integrated is larger than the sum of its elements.

I believe WallStreet is a few million lightyears away to understand that.

Compared to us they do ;)

global-irradiance.jpg
Indeed!

I couldn't listen in, so sorry if this was covered at some point, but I've been pretty skeptical on Solar Roof up to this point. As has been mentioned, it's a much more logistically difficult process installing roofs vs selling cars. Did they talk about how they plan to do that. Are they buying out local construction companies?

And more importantly, have they talked about marketing? With cars, people can clearly see the Tesla logos and styling, acting as passive advertisement for the company. I'm not sure how the Solar Roof is going to accomplish that. It may require them to break from character and go with a more conventional marketing campaign.

Oh, and BTW, Tim the short guy on CNBC mentioned he wouldn't even consider pulling his short position unless we hit $320-325.

So that's nice.
That was money manager Tim Seymour, one of the regular panelists on CNBC's "Fast Money" which airs from 5-6 pm EDT. He frequently disses Tesla. Indeed it will be interesting to learn today whether he has covered his TSLA short position.

Here's the clip from yesterday in which Seymour replied as you have noted. Jump to the 3:32 minute mark.

FYI - I had CNBC on for the after hours fast money hour and although i might have missed it, I dont believe they mentioned Tesla even once in passing.

Indeed, they did not. Apparently they chose not to embarrass anyone. :rolleyes:

Minimum price on website is $34k Including incentives, so likely the average install is going to be $40k+ (probably much more once powerwall added)
I would bet the average will be almost double that. I put my own house in for an estimate and was quite surprised at how much bigger my roof is than what I thought, and the majority of the houses getting the solar roofs will be much larger than my house.

I couldn't listen in, so sorry if this was covered at some point, but I've been pretty skeptical on Solar Roof up to this point. As has been mentioned, it's a much more logistically difficult process installing roofs vs selling cars. Did they talk about how they plan to do that. Are they buying out local construction companies?

And more importantly, have they talked about marketing? With cars, people can clearly see the Tesla logos and styling, acting as passive advertisement for the company. I'm not sure how the Solar Roof is going to accomplish that. It may require them to break from character and go with a more conventional marketing campaign.

They will have their own teams but they will also cooperate with local installers (because they don't screw customers over like car dealerships do).

You do realize that Tesla Solar Roof is the ONLY solar product that can produce 100% of your energy need right? Solar panels require huge roofs facing the right direction, in which the wrong direction reduces efficiency rapidly. Solar roof with the ability to have every tile generating power. This is actually a huge deal. I had a huge roof being a single story house facing the right direction and has 115% of what I need(while the other 15% is being used to charge my car). Most people doesn't have this luxury so this product is pretty important to have 100% sustainability!
I'm not so sure about your claim. My small 2300 sqft home uses 60-100kwh per day with my Tesla charging mostly at home.
If I get 75% max of my ~3000sqft roof as active tiles, maybe I get a 15kw system? Since the area I live in (SWFL) gets about 6 hours a day of good strong sunlight, then 15 x 5 = 89kwh if I did that right. So MOST days it could produce enough. Now, my wife wants a Model Y (or X) next year. If we had 2 cars charging, no way the solar roof could generate enough without using grid energy.

Reactions: Big Earl
I’m surprised the stock price isn’t reacting after hours - does no one understand the revenue math behind what musk is revealing in this call?

he said well over 1000 Solar roof installs per week within a few months, and a medium term goal of 10k-20k roofs a week (500k-1 million annually).

The roof has similar ASP to a model 3, and we are talking about 10K-15k units a week in Q1 potentially., and ramping up significantly higher in 2020.

Phil Lebeau (from cnbc) on the call, asking about number of installers. Elon does not like him apparently.

Ummm, because it doesn’t affect this quarter’s financials, which is as far as a lot of the market can see:)

One thing I have been wondering - does anyone have a good explanation as to why after share price gapped up over night after the earnings report, it stayed flat over the course of the whole day yesterday only to start running up again today? To me this does not seem like an organic stock movement (or better: lack thereof), more like something engineered. Also, don´t remember having seen this before after an earnings report.

I'm not so sure about your claim. My small 2300 sqft home uses 60-100kwh per day with my Tesla charging mostly at home.
If I get 75% max of my ~3000sqft roof as active tiles, maybe I get a 15kw system? Since the area I live in (SWFL) gets about 6 hours a day of good strong sunlight, then 15 x 5 = 89kwh if I did that right. So MOST days it could produce enough. Now, my wife wants a Model Y (or X) next year. If we had 2 cars charging, no way the solar roof could generate enough without using grid energy.
Don't get me wrong, I want to be able to power my entire home without grid. I want to be able to afford enough power walls in order to never need the grid. I just don't think we are there yet. I do think Tesla and Elon will keep pushing the cost curve down and possibly in a decade this would be a reality.