Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I have been wondering - does anyone have a good explanation as to why after share price gapped up over night after the earnings report, it stayed flat over the course of the whole day yesterday only to start running up again today? To me this does not seem like an organic stock movement (or better: lack thereof), more like something engineered. Also, don´t remember having seen this before after an earnings report.
It took a day for the market to adjust and the shorts to start panicking. I suspect some got margin called the day after the ER but didn't do anything about it till today.

One thing I have been wondering - does anyone have a good explanation as to why after share price gapped up over night after the earnings report, it stayed flat over the course of the whole day yesterday only to start running up again today? To me this does not seem like an organic stock movement (or better: lack thereof), more like something engineered. Also, don´t remember having seen this before after an earnings report.

It's called a short squeeze
Short squeeze - Wikipedia

I'm not so sure about your claim. My small 2300 sqft home uses 60-100kwh per day with my Tesla charging mostly at home.
If I get 75% max of my ~3000sqft roof as active tiles, maybe I get a 15kw system? Since the area I live in (SWFL) gets about 6 hours a day of good strong sunlight, then 15 x 5 = 89kwh if I did that right. So MOST days it could produce enough. Now, my wife wants a Model Y (or X) next year. If we had 2 cars charging, no way the solar roof could generate enough without using grid energy.
Damn how much do you drive? Do you need to charge every night?

• Helpful
Reactions: davecolene0606
You do realize that Tesla Solar Roof is the ONLY solar product that can produce 100% of your energy need right? Solar panels require huge roofs facing the right direction, in which the wrong direction reduces efficiency rapidly. Solar roof with the ability to have every tile generating power. This is actually a huge deal. I had a huge roof being a single story house facing the right direction and has 115% of what I need(while the other 15% is being used to charge my car). Most people doesn't have this luxury so this product is pretty important to have 100% sustainability!
This is not accurate. My house, for example, has 1500sqft of roof. Enough for 10kW of solar roof generation (according to Tesla). The South facing roof is about 750sqft, accounting for walking space let's say 650sqft of solar panel space, enough for > 11.5kW of panels.

Thursday was likely a fairly even distribution of profit taking and short covering.

Reactions: skybluecgreen
So where's the stock going from here?

It showed virtually no resistance at any point today. Little dips here and there (including at the end, where it bounced off of $330 a couple times). But it doesn't seem done running yet. Huge volume still. And a nearly 10% runup probably triggered more margin calls.

It showed virtually no resistance at any point today. Little dips here and there (including at the end, where it bounced off of $330 a couple times). But it doesn't seem done running yet. Huge volume still. And a nearly 10% runup probably triggered more margin calls.

Sounds plausible. It just kept climbing today, which bodes well for next week.

Just my 2c, but I think Elon needs to repeat the just finished “solar roof launch” conference call as an onsite media event at a house with it installed (like the original tile announcement)
I’ll volunteer my house and I’ll supply pizza and beer for everyone. Just need slate tile. o_O

Someone else with more knowledge on the mechanics of the options markets could probably chime in here,

The amount of calls expiring deep in the money may have played a part as well today A lot of those calls were likely sold naked by market makers and shorts, and any call holders deciding to exercise the contracts means a lot of shares needed to be purchased by the naked call sellers to deliver to the call holders. To counter this there were on a relative basis almost no put options expiring in the money that would have led to shares needing to be sold for anyone holding in the money put contracts.

The above situation does not happen very often probably. In a normal week there are usually some significant level of offsetting of in-the-money calls and puts to counteract the effects of the exercising of each other.

This is not accurate. My house, for example, has 1500sqft of roof. Enough for 10kW of solar roof generation (according to Tesla). The South facing roof is about 750sqft, accounting for walking space let's say 650sqft of solar panel space, enough for > 11.5kW of panels.

That's not how it works because the roof and panels need to match and a single pipe vent can kill 50 sqft of roof space or more depending on where it's placed. You have to realize the panels are huge and doesn't exactly do what you want.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think the obvious big takeaways from today's solar event are a dramatic decrease in the cost of these roofs, a big decrease in install complexity and time required, and ramping up to considerable revenue and earning contribution within months to a year.

A more subtle, but still potentially very big takeaway, how difficult these improvements have been to achieve.

That is, this does not look like a product that can be easily cloned by other manufacturers. Tesla will keep innovating on this product, and at a rapid pace. Elon does not like the term moat, but, it seems likely Tesla has quite a moat with the solar roof. It seems basically that Tesla has now used the same tool for the solar roof that led Sandy Munro to be blown away by the engineering of the Model 3's motor and electronics... extremely capable engineering, given very ambitious goals and an environment that unleashes considerably more of their talent than most organizations.