Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the content of that tweet? I never engaged with TeslaCharts but I'm blocked... I might have made the blocklist...
You can view it simply by opening the link in an Incognito/Prive mode (search how to do that with your browser). This also helps to, occasionally, work around paywalled content.

Here’s a new piece of FUD, well new to me but probably old hat to most of you:

My neighbor talked on FB ordering a Tesla Y, and got this comment:
“Tesla covers all repairs on their vehicles for 7 years. The oldest Teslas are now 6 years old. After 7 years, Tesla will not service their own vehicles anymore. Drive motors for the wheels are something like $10K each. The display is $8K. And these things do fail. After 7 years, the owner is on his own.”

I supplied the link to Tesla warantee showing coverage of battery and power train for 8 years or X miles (varies per model), but am surprised on two points:
  1. The presumably looney idea that Tesla service centers will flat refuse to do any work at all on your car once the 8 year warrantee expires.
  2. The idea that paying for repairs to your drivetrain after 8 years is so different than ICE cars purchased from Ford/GM/etc. My quick check tells me the ICE powertrain warantee is about 5 years and 60k miles. You can get extended warantees, but for comparison we are looking at 8year/100k miles vs 5yr/60k miles. If one argues that EV drivetrain components are more expensive to repair/replace, one has to argue that this is not made up for by the longer Tesla warantee, and/or the better expected reliability of EV drivetrains over ICE.
Any suggestions on countering this effectively? I expect I will see this again.

1. The oldest Model S's are now 7 years old.
2. The display is ~$3.5k to replace(they actually replace the entire MCU for that price)
3. Drive unit cost is hard to find, but from looking around, they seem to be in the $5-7k range, including labor.
4. The warranty is 8 years

When every single number in his post is wildly incorrect, and all errors go in the direction of hurting Tesla, it's clear it's just a ideological smear.

I've seen this idea tossed around and I realize this may be a slightly OT technical question but seems relevant to Tesla's product offerings:

What exactly prevents Tesla from offering their vehicles' batteries for emergency home power? Could they not sell a product that installs at your house, costs less than a Powerwall, and allows you to power your home (or part of it) from the Tesla's battery?

I suppose existing vehicles do not have a "power out" interface that could be targeted for consumers. But perhaps the pickup will....

For emergency power, you would need a disconnect on your electrical panel so that you do not electrocute a grid worker working on a line that he expects to be de-energized.

So this sort of setup would require additional installation/programming costs along with permits, etc., so could never just be an available feature available in a vehicle. I assume Powerwalls are installed with a disconnect that automatically activates when the grid goes down.

1. ICE engine. You're likely to not have your car for a month. Tesla drivetrain. Replaced with remanufactured in a day.
2. ICE transmission. Your car is still out for a month. Tesla: no transmission

Disagree
You can get your transmission replaced in a day, 3 on the outside (custom hose replacement).
Engine is also sub one week.
(having swapped four engines personally, and had 2 transmissions replaced professionally).

No, I don't imagine so either. He might be off to China for GF3 opening though - this has to happen at some point and I would be very remiss of him not to be there.

However Twitter is very screwed-up the way they allow TSLAQ cretins and low-IQ presidents to behave, but ban a guy for nothing because some snot-faced twerp made a lot of noise.
Maybe someone feels affiliated? :D

(Back to lurk mode)

I do not recall ever before visiting the Twitter account TeslaCharts, yet I now see that I am blocked from viewing it. That's rather strange. Can someone please describe what has been the general content of that account.
You can search for your twitter name on the block list. It will be there ;)
Bonnie Norman on Twitter

For emergency power, you would need a disconnect on your electrical panel so that you do not electrocute a grid worker working on a line that he expects to be de-energized.

So this sort of setup would require additional installation/programming costs along with permits, etc., so could never just be an available feature available in a vehicle. I assume Powerwalls are installed with a disconnect that automatically activates when the grid goes down.

Right, of course it requires a proper install on the home end. I'm thinking it would be a product sold by Tesla Energy, and then a companion feature of the vehicles. As a homeowner who is concerned about outages, depending on cost, I might be willing to pay for that instead of one or two Powerwalls, especially if I've got two giant batteries sitting in the garage already.

That will happen sooner or later but will definitely require special setup physically and with your utility. I can't wait until I can sell power back from my car during peak times.

I do not recall ever before visiting the Twitter account TeslaCharts, yet I now see that I am blocked from viewing it. That's rather strange. Can someone please describe what has been the general content of that account.
Do you use Firefox? If so, just open a "New Private Window". Since it won't logon with your Twitter credentials, when you view a twitter feed you won't be recognized as being on the TSLAQ block list. So the feed will be displayed as if you were an unregistered twitter visitor.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You can search for your twitter name on the block list. It will be there ;)
Bonnie Norman on Twitter

LOL seems like they blocked @MrBeastYT, the organizer of the #teamtrees movement as well.

Let that be a lesson to us -- don't ever accept $1mil donation from Elon Musk or else you'll be put on the TSLAQ block list.

Here’s a new piece of FUD, well new to me but probably old hat to most of you:

My neighbor talked on FB ordering a Tesla Y, and got this comment:
“Tesla covers all repairs on their vehicles for 7 years. The oldest Teslas are now 6 years old. After 7 years, Tesla will not service their own vehicles anymore. Drive motors for the wheels are something like $10K each. The display is $8K. And these things do fail. After 7 years, the owner is on his own.”

I supplied the link to Tesla warantee showing coverage of battery and power train for 8 years or X miles (varies per model), but am surprised on two points:
  1. The presumably looney idea that Tesla service centers will flat refuse to do any work at all on your car once the 8 year warrantee expires.
  2. The idea that paying for repairs to your drivetrain after 8 years is so different than ICE cars purchased from Ford/GM/etc. My quick check tells me the ICE powertrain warantee is about 5 years and 60k miles. You can get extended warantees, but for comparison we are looking at 8year/100k miles vs 5yr/60k miles. If one argues that EV drivetrain components are more expensive to repair/replace, one has to argue that this is not made up for by the longer Tesla warantee, and/or the better expected reliability of EV drivetrains over ICE.
Any suggestions on countering this effectively? I expect I will see this again.

Here's how ridiculously easy it is to swap a Model 3 rear drive unit (I imagine the front is similar in difficulty)

8 years from now there will be tons of salvage parts for anyone who doesn't want to buy new.

Here's how ridiculously easy it is to swap a Model 3 rear drive unit (I imagine the front is similar in difficulty)

8 years from now there will be tons of salvage parts for anyone who doesn't want to buy new.
Time to build myself a giant Segway.
I wonder what the share price will do when that parking lot starts filling up with Model 3's?

(That was a rhetorical question!)
"Tesla demand is going down and they will be bankrupt because parking lots are too full of Teslas already."
-Shorts