Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-2-1_23-0-1.png

I think Vincent made a very good suggestion, which Tesla should consider in the future, not now, but probably 2-3 years down the road.

Chinese generally prefer larger cars, but they have relatively lower income/budget, so BMW/Mercedes/Audi all made long wheelbase version (locally manufactured in China) just to appeal to the Chinese middle class.

For those not familar with the long wheelbase China version: the 3-series Li (L means Long wheelbase) has about the same leg room as standard wheelbase 5-series, and the 5-series Li has about the same leg room as 7-series. Same for Mercedes C/E class, and Audi A4/A6.

Also note China is the worldwide biggest single market for BMW 7-series and Mercedes S class, the wealthy is very small percentage of the large China population but the absolute number is very big. So Model S&X are selling very well here, especially X.

Broke through 315 with 123k volume. Someone is buying big today. Volume that sent SP above $310 was also around 100k.

Anyway, now Nasdaq is turning down a bit ...

My investment hypothesis from the first day that I entered this stock last year was that the first solidly profitable quarter would make the stock "investible" to a new group of investors, and two in a row (debunking the "one time rigged profit" hypothesis) would make it investable to an additional group of investors. To put it another way: I don't think it's "someone" who's buying big today, but rather some broad-spectrum buying from people who see Tesla's potential but didn't want to invest in a company that couldn't prove sustained profits.

The economic downturn and random events like Deepak leaving have certainly caused me some pain, but it's looking like it's going to work out good regardless :) Barring some sort of disaster in the next couple trading days.

This is not correct. There's already a shipment of Model 3s in Europe. We clearly missed a ship.

No customer cars have been delivered anywhere in Europe yet. VIN assignment only slowly started happening this week in the Netherlands. I'm 100% positive those 911 Germans that applied for the bonus had nothing more than an order with Tesla. If I may, even @avoigt confirmed he applied but haven't seen him bragging about receiving delivery yet :)

Since the BAFA incentive is officially approved about 10,800 applications have been filled. Using mine as the last one a minute ago and the first one we know about right after it went public.Thats about a week BTW.

No customer cars have been delivered anywhere in Europe yet. VIN assignment only slowly started happening this week in the Netherlands. I'm 100% positive those 911 Germans that applied for the bonus had nothing more than an order with Tesla. If I may, even @avoigt confirmed he applied but haven't seen him bragging about receiving delivery yet :)

Even if it's possible to apply before taking delivery, I doubt most people would think it would be possible.

Heck, I have a lot of trouble picturing an application getting approved before you've paid for the car in full.

Reactions: EVMeister
View attachment 373650

I think Vincent made a very good suggestion, which Tesla should consider in the future, not now, but probably 2-3 years down the road.

Chinese generally prefer larger cars, but they have relatively lower income/budget, so BMW/Mercedes/Audi all made long wheelbase version (locally manufactured in China) just to appeal to the Chinese middle class.

For those not familar with the long wheelbase China version: the 3-series Li (L means Long wheelbase) has about the same leg room as standard wheelbase 5-series, and the 5-series Li has about the same leg room as 7-series. Same for Mercedes C/E class, and Audi A4/A6.

Also note China is the worldwide biggest single market for BMW 7-series and Mercedes S class, the wealthy is very small percentage of the large China population but the absolute number is very big. So Model S&X are selling very well here, especially X.
... legroom? really? In a model 3? This is the first car I've ever driven where I didn't just put the seat back as far as I could and wish it could go further. In fact, putting it all the way back is too far. I didn't even make it all the way back. And moved the seat forward.

While ICE vehicles have restricted legroom due to the engine compartment, EV's don't have that inherent restriction and the model 3 certainly does not. I think Musk's response was fine.

... legroom? really? In a model 3? This is the first car I've ever driven where I didn't just put the seat back as far as I could and wish it could go further. In fact, putting it all the way back is too far. I didn't even make it all the way back. And moved the seat forward.

While ICE vehicles have restricted legroom due to the engine compartment, EV's don't have that inherent restriction and the model 3 certainly does not. I think Musk's response was fine.

Yeah, the number one thing you hear from people who sit in a Model 3 for the first time (including from me) is "It's a lot bigger than I expected inside!". They did a superb job with packaging it. Including vs. most other EVs. If it were any bigger inside I'd start to suspect that there were some sort of TARDIS thing going on ;)

Re user 'adaptabl's' disagree with humbaba's post: how can you disagree with that? ED: Just browsed adaptabl's history; he's apparently a consistent FUD poster. Adaptabl, have you ever been inside a Model 3? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:
View attachment 373650

YES!! Longer wheelbase please! Just another inch between rows, and an extra foot or two for cargo in the back. Same cross sectional area, so same wind resistance, vastly increased utility for deliveries and cargo. It will still be much smaller than a US pick up truck or full size old-school van. If only my Model X was that much roomier.

Reactions: PANN
YES!! Longer wheelbase please! Just another inch between rows, and an extra foot or two for cargo in the back. Same cross sectional area, so same wind resistance, vastly increased utility for deliveries and cargo. It will still be much smaller than a US pick up truck or full size old-school van. If only my Model X was that much roomier.
Won't Model Y fill that niche?