Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy *sugar*. I just specked a comparable f-150 4x4 full cab with a 6.5 foot bed and as close to the same interior and tech (still less) and it's 50k. The cyber truck is really really well priced. :)

What were you pricing? An XL? and XLT? I've seen very few F150 4x4s with a decent amount of options for less than $55k. And does Ford even offer it's collision warning and lane keep system (closest thing they have to compare with AP) on the lower versions?

I picked up a few more shares on the dip, fundamentals of the Co. didn't change (if anything future battery costs look spectacular) and Q4 is shaping up very nicely.

On a completely different note, I placed an order for 5 Cybertrucks! :eek: There is simply too tremendous an opportunity here for me to ignore. I have to remind myself at this point it's only really $500 at risk!
Still. :eek:
I'm going to go be ill for a while now.

What you gonna do with 5 trucks :)

Fine, Mr. Market--15 @ $341 didn't appease you? I'm in for 10 more at $330. Keep dropping. Try me.

I too itch to pulls the trigger to take advantage of the situation, but at the same time, my gut says....

tumblr_inline_nvm7zbWHIy1r8wz5i_250.gifv

I sold 50 shares at $340 today. (Tried $345 last night but TD wouldn't let it go through, "should have been a stop not a limit" was their reason this morning. I was supposed to have called it in but nothing said to do so and doubt anyone was open anyway. So much for free trades that was their $250 error in my book.).

So the money's going back in, and then. Timing though... this is the hard part. I'm ahead if I buy back right now, and looks like buying season is back already. Hmmm...

Reactions: dandurston
Totally agree! Elon is brilliant.

And anyone who thinks the side windows were not supposed to break is not too smart in my opinion. This was a *planned* stunt obviously. After they both broke Elon said something like, "hmmm, I guess we'll need to work on that." Tesla gave the people who wanted to write something bad something "real" to focus on. It's like leading your enemies into the pit.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty...

Not sure if serious.

Seriously. I swear every time I look at this thing my penis gets bigger. My wife has already printed off a picture and taped it to the ceiling.

Just sayin...we are really starting to like it.

Your wife printed off a picture of the truck or your penis?

Regarding the truck I too like it more the more I look at it. And the mind is a funny thing. I now look at other pickup trucks and they are just so dull in comparison. I really don't think Tesla will have a problem selling these and I agree that the specs and price are very telling about Tesla's battery technology expectations over the next few years. And that will be exciting for other products in their lineup as well.

The truck fiasco is like the 3 vs. Y thing. The Y should sell in larger quantities since SUV/crossovers sell more than sedan everywhere. So why bring out the model 3 first? Bring out the Y first and reap the rewards in sales.

In this case the truck will be a huge fiasco, not at all unlike the broken glass. First they should have brought out something practical and Tesla, rather than going whole hog on being "different" and creating a vehicle they will be lucky to sell 100,000 of total only to bring out a more conventional vehicle that people will be willing to buy and drive. Even then the conventional truck will likely be very conventional since Tesla won't have the freedom to experiment with the truck anymore. Fail at this twice and you would be toast.

This is exactly why the other automakers will do well once they start bringing out their EVs. They know how to sell cars to people. They know what people want. The truck clearly shows that Musk doesn't.

A good article showing the "why" this truck is the way it is.

"The plusses for a folded stainless steel, origami truck are compelling: no paint shop and no expensive tooling. No Godzilla-scale stamping machines stomping it with multiple strikes. Without all that, the capital and environmental costs of using stainless steel body panels are small. And big attractions for a company that's sensitive to both types of green—cash and environmentalism. Just groove the steel where it's supposed to fold (avoiding cracks) and bend it on simple, cheap machines (like I was actually doing last week with my garage vise!)

Brilliant … but prickly with trade-offs. Unlike the strength-to-weight efficiency of compound curves (feathery eggshells are the epitome), the flat-ish planes between the Cybertruck's simple bends require greater thickness to resist buckling compression loads or wrinkling oil-canning. Adding weight.

To counter this? Ditch the heavy, traditional, body-on-frame, and rethink the structure as weight-efficient trussed bridge in its simplest load-spreading configuration: a triangle set on its hypotenuse. One side is the Cybertruck's wedgy cab, the other, its tapered, sail-sided bed, their meeting point at the truck's tall peak resulting in a huge cross-sectional area for maximum stiffness."

"It almost looks like a deliberate, suicidal attempt to trigger boundary separation—a potential drag-raising catastrophe for limited-energy EVs. And an odd 180 turn from the Model X and Y, which have such delicately arched profiles precisely to avoid drag-raising trip wires like this.
Tesla might have erased the problem with active suction to bend the boundary-layer downward just aft of that peak. Gordon Murray's McLaren F1 used this trick, and SpaceX has plenty of expertise in active measures to manipulate airflow around its re-entering Falcon 9 first stages. However, with the bed cover deployed, the angle of its vast descending surface is evidently shallow enough for the flow to naturally reattach. The benefit being that it harvests a useful fraction of the air pressure that blocky, open-bed trucks almost entirely forfeit. Actually, the tougher aerodynamic trick has been coaxing the temperamental flow around those sharp A-pillars."

If the Cybertruck is a shock to the eyes, it's a jump-start to reimagining the foundational assumptions about vehicle appearance, engineering, and manufacturing. Remember Elon Musk's plans to leapfrog car assembly with a high-speed, robotic, alien dreadnaught "machine-that-builds-the-machine" that would fire-hose Model 3s out its tailpipe? He had to sheepishly remove some of the robots and conveyor belts to speed things up. Now, the "machines-that-will-build" the Cybertruck will go dramatically skinnier, scaling the dreadnaught down to simple dinghies that groove and bend (with the $200 million paint shop getting an auditor's line drawn through it). Real progress is assembled from the debris of failures.

No time for a back and forth with the usual lackeys that will blindly support every Tesla decision no matter what (even when it’s obviously wrong like the since aborted store closings)
In other words you know you can't defend your ridiculous comment about expecting a 500K volume vehicle when nothing like that was even remotely suggested, and in fact the opposite was clearly stated.

I placed an order last night for the Tri Motor with FSD. I got an error that there were too many requests. So I went through the process again. This time it went through. Now this morning, I have 2 emails with 2 different reservation numbers. I was going to cancel one, but then I was thinking I'd just keep it. Why not?

So I have reservation numbers:

RN112760200
RN112770727

Anyone know what the starting number was? Is there a thread tracking these?

Last night, you didn't like the design, what changed your mind?

Regarding the truck I too like it more the more I look at it. And the mind is a funny thing. I now look at other pickup trucks and they are just so dull in comparison

Lots of people have been describing this same thing. There's actually a term for it: "Shifting the Overton Window"

Overton window - Wikipedia

People tend to expect a range of what's "normal", and discuss ideas within said "normal". The act of proposing something radically outside the window shifts the boundaries of what's considered normal in the direction of the new proposal, even when the new proposal itself isn't ultimately widely adopted.

Back in school I had a friend whose parents were very conservative Lutherans. He was not. Had he started attending a more liberal Lutheran church, they would have disowned him. Instead, he became a Mormon. So they obviously disowned him. Six months later, he abandoned Mormonism and joined a liberal Lutheran church. His family not only reunited with him - they even bought him a car ;) He had shifted the Overton window by act of becoming a Mormon, and in the process, made becoming a liberal Lutheran into an acceptable option.

Tesla is shifting the Overton window here. In the process, they make more radical truck designs look mundane, and mundane truck designs look outright old-fashioned. Indeed, Tesla has demonstrated a habit of repeatedly and dramatically shifting the window throughout its history ;)

Last edited:
Totally agree! Elon is brilliant.

And anyone who thinks the side windows were not supposed to break is not too smart in my opinion. This was a *planned* stunt obviously. After they both broke Elon said something like, hmmm, I guess we'll need to work on that. Tesla gave the people who wanted to write something bad something "real" to focus on. It's like leading your enemies into the pit.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty...
Then he needs an academy award for playing stunned. He def seemed rattled by them both breaking. :)