Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This actually happened with Twitter in 2018: they posted a narrow profit in Q1'2018 and just made it into the S&P 500. Market cap was about half of Tesla's, and they didn't have nearly as many shorts.

The outcome: over several weeks there was an almost uninterrupted rise from ~$30 to ~$46: a +50% rise.

With ~20% of TSLA float short plus twice the weight of Twitter I have no idea how far TSLA would rise after a surprise S&P 500 inclusion, but if the Twitter example is comparable then I'm pretty sure it will be more than +50% from current levels.

Not advice though. :D

Twitter had huge Call positions months before the S&P inclusion. I think that helped to dampen the jump to only 50%.

For Tesla, there are three factors to make it potentially more dramatic.
1. Larger overall short position, and each short tends to have outsized position on TSLA because they are so sure this is the best short.
2. Many TSLA longs are looking for 10~20 fold gains, so unlikely to give up shares during rally. Instead they are likely to buy more with increased buying power.
3. Q3, Q4 of 2020 is expected to be strong, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024... are likely to be even stronger. So shorts can't just sell future Calls to limit rally and get away with it.

It would be best if the squeeze lasts several years, slow and steady.

Can I get 190M next time someone calls me a name on the internet?

Perhaps I can cash in from a slew of Twitter followers of a TMC member who has never actually posted here. In the middle of last year, he inspired a number of people to tweet unfair things about me, particularly one high profile tweeter who deleted his Twitter account shortly after he insulted me. I want $190 trillion. Seems fair. :cool:

Yes you can, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerfherder!

Now go get it!

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, Vesuvius, salacious, outrageous!

You will be hearing from my lawyer.

n7UuPK8OZpZDbnmXnH5Hm_4oKaiQlyU4G4P528jU3mw.jpg

Individuals suffering from severe boldly injuries with 4 different surgical procedures in an accident and are dealing with mental anguish/depression don’t even get $150m.

Motorcyclist Injured In Freeway Accident Awarded $21.5 Million
but the cyclist was only physically injured, his widdle feewings weren't hurt.

But in seriousness note that those are designated as punitive, rather than real, damages. If the mechanic had been a billionaire driving recklessly in traffic then the lawyers would have gone for punitive damages. And I agree with that in principle. I just hope the jury saw through the crocodile tears and realize Musk is not guilty of anything more than poor judgement in rising to the bait of someone like Unsworth.

Highlights of this page in the "Investors Thread"
  • Elon's testing FSD technology on false positives
  • One guy's ordering the truck with 3 motors
  • Two guys arguing about interpreting a post 3 pages back
  • Some US employers let you rollover 401ks into IRAs
  • The German govt is trying to unfairly support domestic EV manufacturers

What, you don't include your very useful post summarizing the previous 10 posts? :confused::rolleyes:

Since your post stands out head and shoulders above the listed highlights, I had to disagree. Next time, don't be so shy as to underrate your own fascinating and insightful posts! ;)

Last edited:
For some billionaires whose time is worth 100k/min, it's worth to testify about some stupid defimatiom case about nothing for 2 days..for others not so much.

100k/min is 6million an hour. assuming just 40 hours a week thats 240mill a week, or 12 billion a dollars in earnings per year.
so... no.
Assuming musk actually 'earns' a billion a year (probably right in the long run?) thats 2.7mill a day. Thats a lot but still...if he can win rather than lose even a 6 million award against him, its actually good use of his time, even forgetting it would be good PR to win, compared with losing.

Reactions: humbaba
Not seen it mentioned yet, so... We assumed the TriMotor CbrTrk would need some more time because it needs a battery advancement happen to get 500 Miles range. Now, since it‘s been moved forward 12 month..what does it tell us about that battery advancements?

No, it has been reported that the 500 mile range version just has a double stack of the 300 mile range packs. The extra weight of the pack and the three motor design being less efficient gets you down to 500 miles.